Subject: GUN CONTROL

Exactly. Which is why gun control would only disarm and hurt those who follow the laws. If we disarm the good citizens with guns, then there is absolutely NO WAY of defending them. IF they have no guns, and the criminals do, that will just increase the number of gun-related deaths because the law-abiders have nothing to defend themselves with.

I got this as an email and have no way of verifying it. Perhaps some of our Australian posters can help with the dates and stats from their country. But it IS food for thought!

Cmon, what a load of BS. As for Australian rates.... I think they're pretty far fetched. Crime is no more or no less than normal.

Australia has never been the kinda place where you defend yourself with a gun. It's not in the culture. Often the guns used in murders etc are registered rimfire .22 rifles or a good old 12 guage. The point being, Australians don't need assault rifles, never have either. You don't need a concealed hand gun either. It's just not the Australian way.

A lot of the time, even if people did have a gun, they wouldn't be keen to use it to defend themselves. It once again goes against the Australian way. That'd be seen as unsporting, and not giving the other bloke a fair go.

AussieNick said:
A lot of the time, even if people did have a gun, they wouldn't be keen to use it to defend themselves. It once again goes against the Australian way. That'd be seen as unsporting, and not giving the other bloke a fair go.

Roger that Nick, its one of the traits I admire in my mates that are from down under.

AussieNick said:
Cmon, what a load of BS. As for Australian rates.... I think they're pretty far fetched. Crime is no more or no less than normal.

Australia has never been the kinda place where you defend yourself with a gun. It's not in the culture. Often the guns used in murders etc are registered rimfire .22 rifles or a good old 12 guage. The point being, Australians don't need assault rifles, never have either. You don't need a concealed hand gun either. It's just not the Australian way.

Alas, if only Americans had the same chivalry...Unfortunately, some do and some don't....

Chivalry..... chivalry? They just love to stand opposing eachother trying to smash the other man's skull in bare handed! Or is a bar stool allowed in the Aussie way Nick. I have seen Croc Dundee, that is where I base my opinion on.... well, at least I dare to admit it :)

Its all about giving a man "a fair go". To give yourself some sort of advantage that the other bloke doesn't have is considered un-Aussie-like as it has been explained to me... as for basing your perceptions of reality on some Hollywood tripe Ted, come on do I need to spell it out to ya??

bulldogg said:
Its all about giving a man "a fair go". To give yourself some sort of advantage that the other bloke doesn't have is considered un-Aussie-like as it has been explained to me... as for basing your perceptions of reality on some Hollywood tripe Ted, come on do I need to spell it out to ya??

You do realise that I wrote this hoping you would react to it? Because all Hollywood people are liberals and they don't even know what the capital of Australia is! (I definately spend too much time on this forum!)

So Nick would you say that Australia is better, worse or the same now as compared with pre-gun control measures? And related to it, do you think the Australian public over-reacted to the Port Arthur killings?

C/1Lt Henderson said:
Alas, if only Americans had the same chivalry...Unfortunately, some do and some don't....

That's because there are three types of people. The flight or flight, fight or flight and fight or fight types. The fight or fight types are still very much alive in the military, though.

I personally don't like to get into fights because all I end up doing in the end is patching the guy(s) up anyway. Every tried to suture a bunch of guys while trying to see through a swollen eye? It isn't fun.:lol:

bulldogg said:
I've had to start IV's in the dark while still drunk on other soldiers who were drunk.
:)

lol Been there, done that several times as well. "We've got a 10 miler this morning!" "Let me finish this beer and get on some IVs then!" :p

Chivalry..... chivalry? They just love to stand opposing eachother trying to smash the other man's skull in bare handed! Or is a bar stool allowed in the Aussie way Nick. I have seen Croc Dundee, that is where I base my opinion on.... well, at least I dare to admit it

Right.. Because we all wrestle crocodiles and ride kangaroos down the street.

So Nick would you say that Australia is better, worse or the same now as compared with pre-gun control measures? And related to it, do you think the Australian public over-reacted to the Port Arthur killings?

There is no difference. Literally none at all. It makes Joe Public sleep better at night and thats all.

As for the port arthur massacre, it was not a public over-reaction (as that kind of thing has never happened before or since), but the knee-jerk reaction by the government did not fix it, and was misguided effort.

AussieNick said:
Right.. Because we all wrestle crocodiles and ride kangaroos down the street.

Allright, I might have exagurated a bit here. Actually, the Aussies I have met throughout Europe were very decent, fun-loving and uncomplicated people. I expecte nothing else that they are straight forward with their knuckles too, when pushing comes to shoving.

But if you had watched Crocodile Dundee part 1,2 and 3, then you would know how to do that. First hold on to his jaws while his mouth is closed. Then with some practice kick your jeels in the side you don´t want to go and steer the head into the direction you do want to go. It should work that way... Good luck

C/1Lt Henderson said:
Sure...You go first. Ill follow your example. heh

Well..... you have got yourself a deal young man! Where do we meet and who brings the crocodile?

Back