Subject: GUN CONTROL

I don't think people need to defend themselves if you have an efficient law enforcement agency. Vigilantes and militias aren't the model of the enforcement wing of America. If your government is relatively uncorrupt then you won't have to worry about them trying to oppress you and take away your rights. In any case assault rifles shouldn't be purchased legally by civilians since they're military grade firearms. You're telling me you're going to hunt deer with an m16 or ak47? Small arms like pistols needs to be more tightly regulated as well, why? Because criminals have them on their bodies and are easy to conceal. This isn't about the rights of the 2nd amendment, this is about safety on our streets. I respect those who use their guns responsibly but i like to see you defend against gun enforcement when all it does is reduce murder and violence.

WarMachine said:
I don't think people need to defend themselves if you have an efficient law enforcement agency. Vigilantes and militias aren't the model of the enforcement wing of America. If your government is relatively uncorrupt then you won't have to worry about them trying to oppress you and take away your rights. In any case assault rifles shouldn't be purchased legally by civilians since they're military grade firearms. You're telling me you're going to hunt deer with an m16 or ak47? Small arms like pistols needs to be more tightly regulated as well, why? Because criminals have them on their bodies and are easy to conceal. This isn't about the rights of the 2nd amendment, this is about safety on our streets. I respect those who use their guns responsibly but i like to see you defend against gun enforcement when all it does is reduce murder and violence.

The old saying "an armed society is a polite society" is still true. I want to see you try to rough up someone who is carrying a weapon ... he/she would shoot you dead.

Does that mean that I am in favor of every Tom, Dick and Harry carrying weapons ... NO. What it means is that I recognize that old westerners were correct ... Mr Colts weapons leveled the field ... the bully along with the criminal were placed on notice. "A Colt 45 makes every man a giant ... and made every man's voice equal". The coward, the hero and average Joe all rest on a common level when society in general is armed.

Just to clarify; the Second Amendment isn't about protecting yourself from burglars. The Second Amendment is about protecting yourself from the government. How could I possibly protect myself from a tyrannical government armed with machine guns if I'm armed with a single shot hunting rifle or a shotgun or a .38 or a....

Being a european, i guess i'm a bit wary of having a bunch of civilians legally in possession of a hell of a lot of firearms. But then again i live in europe, not america.

Different circumstances have led to the differing stances on firearm control. I imagine that there will be some parts of america where it is safer to own a firearm or two and others where it is not neccessary at all. So i'd say that in certain places folk should be allowed to wield what they can. (excluding things that heavy weaponary, can't imagine the need of having a 40mm grenade launcher for example)

I still prefer europe tho cos its a wee bit more safe going by this thread. I'm glad theres no gun culture in scotland and i can't see ther being one. In america there is and theres no quick fix unfortunatley. Its always interesting to take note of a countries police force to assess that countries gun culture. For a bit of light hearted entertainment heres a link to a clip from a scottish comedy "Chewin the Fat" where a scottish bobby is liasing with the american police force. (Excuse the american accents, evryone in the show is scottish)

http://www.flurl.com/item/Scottish_Cop_In_USA_u_110434/

The truth is, gun control doesn't do a whole lot to reduce violence. Sure, it helps a little, but there was no dramatic decline in violence when states passed stricter gun control laws.

Gun control does reduce the ability of people to kill each other easily. I was reading an article in times that said two new orleans gangsters walked into a gym class and shot a victim dead with ak47s and walked away in front of dozens of witnesses. That's something the restriction of the flow of dangerous weapons like assault rifles could have prevented. The NRA is crazy if it thinks their lobbying is protecting anyone, if anything they make sure these weapons are available to all who purchase them.

I am of the opinion that a person who wants to kill someone will with whatever he can get their hands on. Gun control is part of the violence and murder rate problem in many cities, but increasing developments in poor crime filled neighborhoods will destroy the problem at the roots. New York city used to be much more dangerous 10 years ago than it was today, genitrification of neighborhoods changed that and now it's one of the safest large cities in america.

jequirity said:
Being a european, i guess i'm a bit wary of having a bunch of civilians legally in possession of a hell of a lot of firearms. But then again i live in europe, not america.

Different circumstances have led to the differing stances on firearm control. I imagine that there will be some parts of america where it is safer to own a firearm or two and others where it is not neccessary at all. So i'd say that in certain places folk should be allowed to wield what they can. (excluding things that heavy weaponary, can't imagine the need of having a 40mm grenade launcher for example)

I still prefer europe tho cos its a wee bit more safe going by this thread. I'm glad theres no gun culture in scotland and i can't see ther being one. In america there is and theres no quick fix unfortunatley. Its always interesting to take note of a countries police force to assess that countries gun culture. For a bit of light hearted entertainment heres a link to a clip from a scottish comedy "Chewin the Fat" where a scottish bobby is liasing with the american police force. (Excuse the american accents, evryone in the show is scottish)

Scotland certainly hasn't wanted for violence in its culture though, has it. The colonies simply decided that they didn't wish to be owned by England for all time. Fortunately, firearms were far enough along by that point that they were quite the equalizer. It's a bit easier to train a man with a musket than with a pike, sword, or even crossbow.

Great link! By the way...what the heck is a chocolate snowball...or anything else he mentioned for that matter?

WarMachine said:
Gun control does reduce the ability of people to kill each other easily. I was reading an article in times that said two new orleans gangsters walked into a gym class and shot a victim dead with ak47s and walked away in front of dozens of witnesses. That's something the restriction of the flow of dangerous weapons like assault rifles could have prevented. The NRA is crazy if it thinks their lobbying is protecting anyone, if anything they make sure these weapons are available to all who purchase them.

I am of the opinion that a person who wants to kill someone will with whatever he can get their hands on. Gun control is part of the violence and murder rate problem in many cities, but increasing developments in poor crime filled neighborhoods will destroy the problem at the roots. New York city used to be much more dangerous 10 years ago than it was today, genitrification of neighborhoods changed that and now it's one of the safest large cities in america.
I agree with the first part, somewhat. A man can be killed just as easily with a knife as with a gun, its just more dificult for the man doing the killing.To the article, just think, if someone in the class had firearms,perhaps a teacher or a SRO, then the shooting could have been prevented...Gun control would prevent some violence but killings would still occur. We can never totally prevent murder.

I like the feel of a beautifully designed firearm. Just to heft it, feel the perfect balance that will put a slug exactly where you want it, the cool steel and the stag, ivory, walnut, or combat grips that feel like you were built around the weapon and became one with it. I take all my guns out and handle them, clean them, and feel the security knowing I'm now safe from just about all threats. And, sometimes, I even go to the range so I can feel the "recoil."

Missileer said:
I like the feel of a beautifully designed firearm. Just to heft it, feel the perfect balance that will put a slug exactly where you want it, the cool steel and the stag, ivory, walnut, or combat grips that feel like you were built around the weapon and became one with it. I take all my guns out and handle them, clean them, and feel the security knowing I'm now safe from just about all threats. And, sometimes, I even go to the range so I can feel the "recoil."

Now there's a true enthusiast. :cowb:

A chocolate snowball
http://www.littlescotland.com/product_info.php/products_id/4232?osCsid=j49kvi24lalr8lje757kkj9m26

( For more of chewin the fat go here http://www.piczo.com/scottishfunnies?g=14519176&cr=2)

Back on topic

Yeah, scotland has had quite a violent past and we have enjoyed kickin the sh*t out of things and inventing cool stuff. Back in 1996 we had a gun related tragedy which shook scotland and led to legislation to ban handguns
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunblane#The_Dunblane_Massacre

Its probably for the best and i wouldn't argue with the relatives of those poor kids. Price Phillip (Queen of Britains Hubby) would however

"If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?" (1996)
Said amid calls to ban firearms after the Dunblane shooting.

Mind you the same guy also provided the following quotes some of which make me giggle quite a bit i'm afraid!

"Where did you get that hat?" (1953)
To his wife the Queen, immediately after her coronation

"British women can't cook." (1966)
"The bastards murdered half my family.." (1967)
When asked if he would like to visit the Soviet Union

"What do you gargle with - pebbles?" (1969)
Said to Tom Jones after the The Royal Variety Performance.

"Everybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaining they are unemployed." (1981)
Said during the 1981 recession.

"You must be out of your minds.." (1982)
To Solomon Islanders, on being told that their population growth was 5% a year.

"You are a woman, aren't you?" (1984)
Said in Kenya, to a native woman who had presented him with a small gift.

"If you stay here much longer you'll all get slitty eyed." (1986)
Said to British students in China.

"If it has four legs and is not a chair, has wings and is not an aeroplane, or swims and is not a submarine the Cantonese will eat it." (1986)
Said at a World Wildlife Fund meeting.

"Your country is one of the most notorious centres of trading in endangered species in the world." (1991)
Said in Thailand, after accepting a conservation award.

"You can't have been here that long - you haven't got a pot belly." (1993) Said to a Briton in Budapest, Hungary.

"Aren't most of you descended from pirates?" (1994)
Said to an islander in the Cayman Islands.

"How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to get them through the test?" (1995)
Said to a driving instructor in Scotland.

"Bloody silly fool!" (1997)
Was referring to a Cambridge University car park attendant who failed to recognise him.

"You managed not to get eaten, then?" (1998)
Said to a student who had been trekking in Papua New Guinea.

"It looks like it was put in by Indians." (1999)
Said after he saw a poorly constructed fusebox.

"Deaf? If you are near there, no wonder you are deaf." (1999)
Said to young deaf people in Cardiff, referring to a school's steel band.

"Do you still throw spears at each other?" (2002)
To an Aboriginal man on Australia's Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park.

"You were playing your instruments, weren't you? Or do you have tape recorders under your seats?" (2002)
Said to a children's band in Australia.

"Do you know they have eating dogs for the anorexic now?" (2002)
Said to a blind woman with a guide dog.

"If you travel as much as we do you appreciate how much more comfortable aircraft have become. Unless you travel in something called economy class, which sounds ghastly.." (2002)
Commenting during the Jubilee tour.

"The problem with London is the tourists. They cause the congestion. If we could just stop tourism we could stop the congestion.." (2002)
Commenting on the London traffic debate, after mayor Ken Livingstone launched his plan to charge motorists £5 to enter the city.

"French cooking's all very well, but they can't do a decent English breakfast.." (2002)
Aboard the floating restaurant 'Il Punto' on the river Orwell in Ipswich, after thoroughly enjoying an excellent full English breakfast (Il Punto is owned by Frenchman Regis Crepy).

"It is surprising the way things have changed since I first became chancellor of a university 50 years ago." (2003)
Source: Opening a new reseach centre at the University of York.
The statement was widely misrepresented as referring to the University of York itself, rather than the University of Edinburgh, of which Prince Philip is Chancellor. (The York Chancellor at the time was Janet Baker, and the university was celebrating its fortieth anniversary.)

"It doesn't look like much work goes on at this University" (2005)
Overheard at Bristol University's BLADE (Bristol Laboratory for Advanced Dynamic Engineering) facility, which had been closed in order that he and the Queen could officially open it
"
You look like you're ready for bed!"
Said to the President of Nigeria, who was dressed in traditional robes

Legend!

Wow....The cricket bat thing is good, but the rest are just funny...lol. And I agree, if somone attacks someone else with a pencil, do we ban pencils? Kids at my school are always saying that we should never have to write because pens and pencils can be used as deadly weapons, which are not allowed on school campus. Anything can be used to kill, and guns will only make people resort to more, eh, interesting, ways to do it.

Couldn't we get Philip into the Dutch Royal family? We have started to do a pr stunt and are collecting all kinds of interesting people. We have a junta-daughter for Queen (in a few years), we have a gangster-babe as a princess. Somebody with aristocratic blood and without brains would be an absolute asset for Holland. We still have a decent elder Princess, who looks a hell of a lot better then Lizzy II, so ehat's the problem and what are we waiting for!

You're waiting for somebody outside of the netherlands to care about the dutch royalty. No offense, just that most people think of the UK royalty being the only ones left in Europe. I didn't even know scandinavia still had a few kings here and there until a few years ago.

Anyway, you can't prevent people from killing each other if they're intent on doing so. Banning guns in an area where people never commit crimes with them doesn't make sense. What i'm saying is that in major cities where this does happen with violent and murderous intent, we should outlaw guns. It will reduce the crime rate but i'm also a firm believer of getting to the root of the social problems in order to make sure they don't do this in the first place. To do that in a city like LA means to disarm thousands of gangs first and to do you need to heavily restrict the flow of arms.

I have been down that path before on this forum. The general view at that time was that social unbalance and the possession of guns aren´t related. Imo, just like yours, poverty and no way of improving your conditions make you use your guns sooner in a robbery.

p.s. Foreigners are wanted prevent in-breeding. We got ourselves a good looking Argentinian and all hte other wifes are "just" burger-women. All the aristrocracy has been used one more then one occasion :)

To do that in a city like LA means to disarm thousands of gangs first and to do you need to heavily restrict the flow of arms.
You do realize that gang bangers don't rush down to their local gun store to buy a Saturday Night Special to knock off the local liquor store, right? The firearms they use are illegal! More gun laws aren't going to do a blessed thing against illegal firearms. Illegal weapons come across US borders every day. We can't even stop people and drugs. What makes you think laws restricting law-abiding citizens are going to curtail the illegal arms trade?

An anecdotal tale on the "anything can be a weapon" subject:

I had the occasion to be in a police evidence locker one time. In among countless firearms of every shape and size was a...wait for it...tricycle. Apparently daddy came home from work a bit early and caught mommy in bed with another man. He chased the guy out into the yard and beat him to death with said tricycle. BAN TRICYCLES!

Guns are just easier to kill with, nobody would ban tricycles or bats because they weren't meant to be weapons. We don't let people go around carrying daggers or large knives since they can be dangerous. If that guy was creative enough to use a tricycle then maybe because a better bludgeoning weapon wasn't available, idk. As for the gangbangers, i realize that they get many illegal weapons but you can at least reduce their flow to some extent and that would make handling gangs easier.

jequirity said:

I'm Afraid there is a gun culture in scotland:-
Thursday, 7 November, 2002, 06:50 GMT
Scottish gun crime 'soaring'

_38239384_guns300.jpg
Police said firearms are increasingly freely available

The number of serious shootings related to drug crime in Scotland will reach record levels this year, police have warned.
The latest trends for shootings which caused death or injury are set to see this year's figures eclipse those for last year.
Most of the shootings are taking place in the Strathclyde Police area.
The latest happened at the weekend at Shettleston Juniors social club in Glasgow's east end, when a man was shot with a gas powered air gun which shattered his jaw.
_38239403_armedpolice150.jpg
Police are concerned by the level of gun crime

Police said the incident was part of an on-going gangland feud over drug dealing.
There have been 18 major shootings in the last year in the west of Scotland alone, eight of them murders.
This means that this year serious shootings will eclipse the 2001 figures which, in turn, were the highest ever recorded.
In Scotland in 2001 serious shootings went up from 50 to 149 and almost all were a result of battles for control over drug supplies.
Detective Chief Superintendent Tom Halpin, the head of Strathclyde CID, said: "Organised criminals who are involved the drugs trade do so because of the enormous profits that are there to be gained, so we shouldn't be surprised that they are absolutely determined to protect their own patch.
"Now, if you think of Europe in the last few years, recent wars, migration of people and barriers coming down it's no surprise there is an increase in the availability of firearms across Europe and the United Kingdom."
Scottish Executive ministers say the Scottish Drug Enforcement Agency and new laws to confiscate drug dealers assets will combat growing drug crime.
and....
Armed crime falls to zero in one of UK's main gun-owning areas

Sent: June 14, 2002 5:11 AM
To: AAANews
Subject: [ssaa-news] NEWS - Scotland gun crime stats

Armed crime falls to zero in one of UK's main gun-owning areas
Immediate Release
There was not a single incident of crime involving a firearm in the year 2000 in an area with one of the UK's highest levels of legal firearm ownership. Figures published by the Scottish Executive show Scotland's Northern Constabulary recorded no firearms crimes or offences last year.
The constabulary area, which covers the Highlands and Islands had 2784 fireams and 3600 shotgun certificates per 100,000 population in that period. Even offences involving air weapons were down to nothing. In Scotland as a whole there was a 9% decrease in recorded offences involving a firearm. Of the 938 recorded offences, 61% involved airguns.
Dr Colin Shedden, director of BASC Scotland said "Once again, the Scottish Executive's own statistics clearly demonstrate that the alleged link between the private posession of firearms and crime does not exist. In addition ten shotguns and six rifles were reported stolen across the country last year. That's 0.009% of legally held guns, and means the chance of your gun being stolen is less than one in 10,000." More than half of all reported offences in Scotland in 2000 occurred in the Strathclyde Constabulary area, which has the country's lowest rate of legally held guns. (190 firearms and 503 shotgun certificates per 100 000). ENDS

AS WEVE SAID BEFORE.

GUN CONTROL ONLY TAKES GUNS AWAY FROM THE LEGAL AND RESPONSIBLE OWNERS NOT THE CRIMINALS!

Indeed Sven. Within 4 hours of getting my feet out of LAX I know for a fact I can purchase any form of firearm my fancy may require the only limit is my budget and willingness to not ask too many questions. The laws only hamper those that are law-abiding to begin with.

Back