STUPID MILITARY LOSSES

You can say that you have most stupid loses in medival time.Then the battles were fought mostly cuz of money,so one day brits and french meet on the field to commence the battle.Brits with archers to man to arms ratio 10/1 and french all knights in unpenetrable armor for brits arows.
So brits outnumberd fired the arows
but without any demage,
anyway french army composed
of noblemen which wanted to
capture king and get the rantsome
werent sticking to the battle plan
and all rushed on the king to capure
him.They the misunderstood archers
Who were very flexibile and could transform to man at arms,french stormed on to KING,by now archers killed every horese and frnch had to go on foot(cuz of the soil beeing so specificly sticky and soft )french noblemans if they fell they stayed down,then offcourse a group of archers(now man at arms)just came to kill whats left to be killed cuz the hell of a french army drowned in mud.Now thats the most stupid lose of men on field i ever heard ;)

the august feints at gallipoli

in august at gallipoli feints included attacks by the australian light horse at the nek, quinns post, popes hill, german officers trench.
and infantry attacks at lone pine and chunik bair.

The charge's attempted by the lighthorse all ended in disaster.
at quinns post 50 men attacked and 49 were killed by mg and rifle fire, in the ensuring bomb fight 154 out of 200 were killed at popes hill.
At germans officers trench 300 went forward and 146 were killed.

The nek is still reguarded as one of the most tragic events in my countrys history.
At 4: 30 in the morning the 8th LH was to attack following an artillery bombardment it stopped 7 minutes early giving the turks time to get back in their trenches. The LH only had to run 20 yards to get to the turkish trenches, the 8th victorian LH were to be in the first two attacking lines followed by two lines of the 10 Westralian lighthorse. ony 150 men could go at a time because the area was about the size of a tennis court.
The first wave was wiped off the face of the earth, with no survivors. The second line waited the allotted time of two minutes(why?) before going over the top and was nearly wiped out , those not killed were wounded.
the O.C asked for the attack to be stopped from high command which took 10 minutes and was told to "press on reguardless"
The 10LH took their positions and when the third line attacked it was wiped out. the final line attacked and suffered the same fate. At the roll call that night of 550 men that had attacked the NEK only 47 were alive:(

At chunik Bair the New Zealand Brigade and the Aussie Fourth Brigade attacked on the first day 765 out of 2000 men engaged were killed. with one NZ battalion which started with 760 men and 30 officers finishing with 1 officer and 49 men.
The NZ'S captured and held chunik bair for 3 days with only 300 men, after the were relived by an english battalion 15,000 turks rolled down the hill and wiped out the english battalion.
The 13 AUS Battalion which started the battle with only 150 men (they had been fighting since the landing ) lost 110 of them. They had had 1000 men at the landing in april.

The English collinwood battalion landed later on with 1000 men and attacked gully ravine after thirty minutes they only had 1 officer (18yrs old) and 22 men left.

Lone pine was a disaster as well, 7 victoria crooses were awarded during the three day battle which was mainly fought underground in th turkish trenches. 2277 men were killed with the turks losing over 5000 men.

These feints were desighned to draw the turks away from the english landings at suvla bay but were a waste of manpower because, some of the british after the landed brewed tea and set up camp instead of advacing like the original plan called for them to. it would cost them dearly later on.

p.s. marksman are you refering to the battle of agincourt in your post?
if so the brits had bodkin arrows there that would go thru armour quite easily and your right the french didn't even attempt to follow a plan in that battle ;) they just went straight at the outnumbered english and got beat up bad.

p.s. marksman are you refering to the battle of agincourt in your post?
if so the brits had bodkin arrows there that would go thru armour quite easily and your right the french didn't even attempt to follow a plan in that battle they just went straight at the outnumbered english and got beat up bad.
thats the one,but botkin arow could not penetrate french armor which was composed of steel,no really watched the testing on discovery ;)

If by 'Friendly fire' you mean the little 'incident' in Afghanistan where an American Major bombed a squad of Canadian soldiers, then yeah. I won't forget something like that.

I wasnt namin any specific military. Anything that involves an allie accidentally hittin an allie. Not tryin to point fingers or lay blame, and certainly not tryin to start some bs fight. No matter who it hit or who shot it, it is a stupid loss and stupid mistakes that should never happen.

I have looked at all the really dumb ones..and the biggest most stupid one in my opinion is the civil war general who orderd his men to attack across a narrow, long bridge over a creek that could be waded because it was only knee deep. Not once, not twice...but over and over.

:cry:

Mark Conley said:
I have looked at all the really dumb ones..and the biggest most stupid one in my opinion is the civil war general who orderd his men to attack across a narrow, long bridge over a creek that could be waded because it was only knee deep. Not once, not twice...but over and over.

:cry:

Would that have happened to take place in NC? there is a story about the CW and a Bridge and it happened in NC.

Never heard about that one, the one i heard about was in Virgina i beleive. About 200 Union snipers were at the top of the hill, and the confeds had thousands doing nothing not far from where they were.I beleive they tried to cross three times, but in the end it was useless. (unless of coarse their goal was to weaken their army)

Sorry should have posted it earlier...it was antetiam battlefied and the spot today is Burnsides Bridge: They lost almost 4,000 men on both sides in the pitched battle for the bridge

http://schwartz.eng.auburn.edu/ACW/ant.docs/burnbrg.html

During the third part of the battle, General Ambrose Burnside's IX Corps tried to fight its way over a strongly defended stone arch bridge, called Lower Bridge or Rohrbach Bridge, over Antietam Creek. Burnside had 12,500 men who were opposed by about 400 men from the 2d, 15th, 17th, and 20th Georgia under Robert Toombs. Toomb's brigade was in positions on the bluff overlooking the bridge. The Georgians held off four Union assaults on the bridge and raking fire from Union artillery for over three hours.

A little after noon, Edward Ferrero's brigade consisting of the 51st New York, the 51st Pennsylvania, and the 21st and 35th Massachusetts was ordered to take the bridge. Ferraro, who had attempted to control drunkenness in his brigade by cutting of its whiskey ration (an unofficial but often followed tradition), ordered the New Yorkers and Pennsylvanians to make the assault.

Corporal Lewis Patterson, Co. J, 51 PA, a teetotaller, shouted to Ferrero, "Will you give us our whiskey, Colonel, if we take it?"

Ferrero answered, "Yes, by God, you shall have as much as you want if you take the bridge. I don't mean the whole brigade, but you two regiments shall have just as much as you want, if it is in the commissary or if I have to send to New York to get it and pay for it out of my own purse; that is if I live to see you through it."

The 2nd Brigade forced the bridge, winning Ferrero a promotion to brigadier, at the cost of two barrels of whiskey. Other units of the brigade were able to flank the position by effecting crossings at Middle Bridge and Snavely's Ford. The Confederate line broke, and retreated towards Sharpsburg. Burnside's troops, stopping to celebrate their victory, allowed A. P. Hill's troops, making a 17 mile (27 km) forced march from Harper's Ferry, to engage and force them back from the outskirts of Sharpsburg. Hill's success on the field was helped by the confusion caused by some of the Confederate troops' wearing Union uniforms captured at Harper's Ferry.

There is some question as to whether the name "Burnside Bridge" is in tribute to Burnside or is a dig at him for his being held up three hours trying to cross a bridge when both Snavely's Ford and Middle Bridge (both about 2 miles (3.2 km) down and upstream, respectively) were available.

Marksman - true the Battle of Agincourt really had a very strange and unexpected outcome. The Battle of the Somme during the First World War also strikes me as a very unnecessary bloodbath. Mines were laid underneath the German trenches, they were exploded ten minutes before the battle started so that they could be filmed. By the time British soldiers got to the craters, the Germans had already fortified their positions. The British waves were ordered to walk towards their opposers and as the German lines had huges swathes of barbed wire, men had to run around frantically looking for a gap in the wire, while the Germans trained their machine guns on them. Such a waste.

Back