A study of home invasions from the University of South Africa

5.56X45mm

Milforum Mac Daddy
A study of home invasions from the University of South Africa.

Very interesting! 97% of the perpetrators are armed and our government wants to ban private ownership of firearms!

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

BE VIGILANT AND SAFETY CONSCIOUS - IT COULD SAVE YOUR LIFE!

Dr. Rudolph Zinn of the School of Criminal Justice at UNISA did intensive research on residential robberies and attacks, and interviewed many arrested and convicted robbers.

Some of his findings are alarming, some are surprising - but they are all well worth taking note of. Then make your own conclusion and beef up your security where necessary.

During the past year, house robberies increased by 13,5%.
Of the almost 15 000 residential robberies committed in 2008, half (50%) took place in Gauteng .

The average age of a house robber is between 19 and 26 years.
An average of 30% of all house robbers have either committed murder, or won't hesitate to commit murder.

Only 17% of house robbers are foreigners.

Of all arrested robbers, 90% had no matric or were unemployed. The 10% who had been employed, gave up their jobs when confirming how much they could "earn" from a robbery.

Most victims or targets are affluent persons who openly display their wealth, e.g. expensive cars, jewellery, up market homes.

Much intelligence is gathered about the target home and its residents by means of inside information supplied by domestic workers.

Eight out of ten residential robberies are committed with the help of information from domestic workers, gardeners and former employees.

The robbers will monitor the home and movements for as long as is needed to formulate a plan of attack - sometimes up to two weeks.

All gangs research and monitor the response times of armed response companies.

Most attacks occur between 19:00 and midnight as people are relaxed, busy cooking or watching TV, and the security systems and beams are not activated. But robberies continue until 04:00 in the morning.

The biggest deterrent confirmed by robbers themselves, are small dogs that are kept inside the home.

Alarm systems and armed reaction services are not considered a deterrent. Electric fences, closed-circuit TV (CCTV) and detection beams do, however, deter robbers.

An average of R5 000 is stolen during each robbery.
Surprisingly, victims of house robberies are only seriously injured in 2% of all incidents.

35% of robbers robbed for basic needs (hunger, poverty), while 65% enjoyed the money and spent it on clothes, cars, etc.

The average robber commits 103 robberies over seven years before being caught.

A staggering 97% of all robbers are armed, and on average there are four members in an armed robbery gang.

Most attackers' homes or bases are a 10 to 30 minute drive from the target address.

Women are more often tortured or hurt during house robberies.
The conviction rate for house robberies in South Africa is only 7,67%. In the USA it is 53%.

While these statistics and facts may be disturbing, even alarming, UASA trusts that it may sharpen the vigilance of each member. If you have safety measures at your home, ensure that they are in place. Test your security equipment regularly... never be complacent and think that it only happens to other people.

It is in your own best interest rather to be safe than sorry!

"The conviction rate for house robberies in South Africa is only 7,67%. In the USA it is 53%."

Another comforting tidbit...

Oh, and there was this little gem buried in the article...

"Surprisingly, victims of house robberies are only seriously injured in 2% of all incidents. "

I wonder how that statistic would change if the robber knew the person had a gun... Nothing motivates a person like protecting their life... ESPECIALLY if the person has already committed murder or wouldn't hesitate to commit murder.....

"The conviction rate for house robberies in South Africa is only 7,67%. In the USA it is 53%." .....

The conviction rate of all crimes throughout South Africa is 6%. Some area's however have a conviction rate of 1.5%

Another comforting tidbit...

Oh, and there was this little gem buried in the article...

"Surprisingly, victims of house robberies are only seriously injured in 2% of all incidents. ".....

Not completely true, if one takes into account farm attacks in rural area's, its rare anything is actually stolen, the farmer and his family are usually murdered, at times horrifically. On average (according to government figures) 55 people are murdered every day, other organisations quote 175 each and every day.

I wonder how that statistic would change if the robber knew the person had a gun... Nothing motivates a person like protecting their life... ESPECIALLY if the person has already committed murder or wouldn't hesitate to commit murder.....

Before the 1994 elections black South Africans were not allowed to own firearms, after 1994 there was a flood of gun applications from those living in townships. The murder and other crime rates dropped considerably (I cannot remember the exact figures) by around 60 to 70% within weeks.

Now because of the new gun laws, crime in townships (as well as other area's) is climbing again to an all time high.

A number of senior police officers throughout South Africa are being investigated for destroying case dockets in an attempt to show falling crime rates

An interesting site to show what the affect of the new guns laws have, google BGOASA (Black Gun Owners Association South Africa). BGOASA is not intended only for black gun owners or indeed South Africans. The organisation has attracted black and non black gun owners from the USA as well as other countries, all interested in RKBA.

Last edited:
The conviction rate of all crimes throughout South Africa is 6%. Some area's however have a conviction rate of 1.5%
I'm only going off what the article said... My point was that clearly the US justice system (where I live) is doing a much better job than that of South Africa... A comforting thought to me.

Not completely true, if one takes into account farm attacks in rural area's, its rare anything is actually stolen, the farmer and his family are usually murdered, at times horrifically. On average (according to government figures) 55 people are murdered every day, other organisations quote 175 each and every day.
Again, I'm only going off the article that 5.56 posted...

Before the 1994 elections black South Africans were not allowed to own firearms, after 1994 there was a flood of gun applications from those living in townships. The murder and other crime rates dropped considerably (I cannot remember the exact figures) by around 60 to 70% within weeks.

Now because of the new gun laws, crime in townships (as well as other area's) is climbing again to an all time high.

A number of senior police officers throughout South Africa are being investigated for destroying case dockets in an attempt to show falling crime rates

An interesting site to show what the affect of the new guns laws have, google BGOASA (Black Gun Owners Association South Africa). BGOASA is not intended only for black gun owners or indeed South Africans. The organisation has attracted black and non black gun owners from the USA as well as other countries, all interested in RKBA.
What happens when one fights fire with fire? You get a bigger fire....

Sure, when it's put into place by professionals... But what happens when amateurs try and take care of things themselves?

Sure, when it's put into place by professionals... But what happens when amateurs try and take care of things themselves?

Here's the simple facts......which you will probably ignore.

The Police can't be everywhere all the time.

The Police are not responsible for your personal safety....all the time.

Without some means to defend yourself against an aggressive and focused attack, chances are your going to toe tag city before the first unit even arrives on scene. Part II Taking a Taser, Pepper Spray, baseball bat or butcher knife to a gun fight is stupid and a great way to get dead.

You are responsible for your own personal safety and security. You no one else. No goverment in the world has the funds to assign personel cop's or body guards to everyone.

So that leaves you with three options.

1. Defend yourself.

2. call 911, 999 whatever and hope that Officer Friendly arrives in time to keep Mr Antisocial from doing evil things to you and yours.

3. Run, give up, cry and plead for the lives of you and yours and hope Mr. Antisocial decides to spare you.

Oh and if something happens to you and yours and you don't think that the response by Law Enforcement was rapid enough......you can't sue the PD (IN THIS COUNTRY ANYWAY) The Supreme Court has already held that we are not responsible for your personal safety 24/7/365 you are.

As far as back fires, I've set a few in my life and I'm not professionally qualified as a Firefighter. It's pretty basic math and wind direction and common sense.

Without some means to defend yourself against an aggressive and focused attack, chances are your going to toe tag city before the first unit even arrives on scene. Part II Taking a Taser, Pepper Spray, baseball bat or butcher knife to a gun fight is stupid and a great way to get dead.

You are responsible for your own personal safety and security. You no one else. No goverment in the world has the funds to assign personel cop's or body guards to everyone.
I never said that... I don't have a problem with people owning some weapons for their personal safety... What I have a problem with are those who own mini-armories because the 90 year old man who lives down the block and can't walk is going to break into his house and shoot him up good.

1. Defend yourself.

2. call 911, 999 whatever and hope that Officer Friendly arrives in time to keep Mr Antisocial from doing evil things to you and yours.

3. Run, give up, cry and plead for the lives of you and yours and hope Mr. Antisocial decides to spare you.

Oh and if something happens to you and yours and you don't think that the response by Law Enforcement was rapid enough......you can't sue the PD (IN THIS COUNTRY ANYWAY) The Supreme Court has already held that we are not responsible for your personal safety 24/7/365 you are.

As far as back fires, I've set a few in my life and I'm not professionally qualified as a Firefighter. It's pretty basic math and wind direction and common sense.
Again, I'm not saying you can't have any sort of firearm on you to defend yourself against an attacker, but (and this is probably the 100th time I've said this in the EXACT SAME ARGUMENT) there are limits that should be put into place...

I never said that... I don't have a problem with people owning some weapons for their personal safety... What I have a problem with are those who own mini-armories because the 90 year old man who lives down the block and can't walk is going to break into his house and shoot him up good.

Again, I'm not saying you can't have any sort of firearm on you to defend yourself against an attacker, but (and this is probably the 100th time I've said this in the EXACT SAME ARGUMENT) there are limits that should be put into place...

Then perhaps you need to qualify your feelings with some statements.

"
"Surprisingly, victims of house robberies are only seriously injured in 2% of all incidents. "

Because this supports your oft repeated stance that if the victim is unarmed they are better off.

So pick a damned side.

As a criminal, would I rather rob a house with owners who have a gun or who don't have a gun?
The logic is pretty straight forward.

Then perhaps you need to qualify your feelings with some statements.

Because this supports your oft repeated stance that if the victim is unarmed they are better off.

So pick a damned side.
No one has ever bothered to clarify what side I'm on... If you look back, it's not the first time I've stated it, but when I see 5.56X45mm at the top of a thread, I know I've gotta dig in for the nitty gritty because to him, any gun control is bad gun control. I've given up trying to reason with him that there are SOME guns that shouldn't be in circulation. For him, it's all or nothing (a very dangerous way to think) so I choose nothing. But in actuality, I'm for self defense. I think the world would be much safer if everyone had a pistol strapped to their hip. No one would know who was armed and who wasn't. But that pistol aught to carry over to the home... You don't need a BAR to stop an intruder or two if you know how to use your pistol... Master one weapon, don't be a jack of all of them.

wbrrtl.jpg

Yep... We all deserve full and unlimited access to the nuclear arsenal of this great nation... Among numerous other things.

*rolls eyes*

Absolutely. If with the man power and equipment available to many US Police Departments, what chance have we got when the local cops say that they cannot attend the scene of a crime because they have no cars, or cars with no petrol. I kid you not.
You are responsible for your own personal safety and security. You no one else. No goverment in the world has the funds to assign personel cop's or body guards to everyone..

Again, absolutely correct. Pepper sprays are easily dispersed by wind and frequently has no effect on criminals under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Tasers are very rare here, usually available are stun guns. The problem of stun guns one has to get close to the attacker. By which time he/she has shot you dead. Baseball bat, knives, swords or martial arts require years of practice and a fairly high level of physical fitness. None are sensible options for many people.

1. Defend yourself.

3. Run, give up, cry and plead for the lives of you and yours and hope Mr. Antisocial decides to spare you..

(1) This IS the only option, no one else is going to protect you or your family. If you call the police, by the time a unit arrives it could be game over.
(2) Here in South Africa the emergency number is 1011. A few times I have dialed the number and the phone has simply rang and rang and rang.........no answer. Wonderful if you have a gang of thugs in your home. As I stated before, WHEN/IF the police answer they haven't got a car available or no petrol!

(3) Begging and pleading. This has been proven time and time again to be totally ineffective, many victims in South Africa have been tortured with boiling water or with a clothes iron before being murdered despite begging for their lives. I remember an incident locally where an 84 year old woman was badly beaten, raped and then bludgeoned to death. Her elderly husband was forced to watch her being beaten, raped and murdered. He was badly beaten but survived. This is not the only incident.

The SA police have stated publically many times, “Its not our duty to protect you.”

A woman walking with her husband was recently attacked while going to a party. One of the criminals pulled a knife and tried to stab her in the gut, she pulled a 2 inch 38 Special and planted two shots in the attackers chest......he died on the scene. The police arrived, arrested her and charged her with murder. She was released on bail and now the case is in the hands of the public prosecutor whether or not she will face criminal charges.

The thread posted by 5.56 is only the ice cube on the tip of the iceberg in South Africa

Last edited:
It is simply ridiculous.
I guess the state doesn't like the fact that if we survive an attack, it makes the paperwork a bit more complicated.

In every one of these threads Henderson says you don't need (insert automatic/semi-automatic rifle here) to defend yourself and at the same time advocates everyone carrying a pistol. 98% of crimes committed with firearms are done with handguns. And I can guarantee you there'd be a hell of a lot more crimes of passion if every single person was walking around with a piece 24/7. Lots of very stupid people everywhere.

I feel much safer knowing all of my neighbors own semi-auto rifles or shotguns than I would knowing that everyone I meet on the street is ready for a firefight.

As for South Africa, well, I don't know why the hell you would stay there if you have the means to leave. Sounds like a cesspit.

As for South Africa, well, I don't know why the hell you would stay there if you have the means to leave. Sounds like a cesspit.

Sadly many of us cannot leave for various reasons, one of them being financial.

And yes, the country is turning into a cess pit...............rapidly

In every one of these threads Henderson says you don't need (insert automatic/semi-automatic rifle here) to defend yourself and at the same time advocates everyone carrying a pistol. 98% of crimes committed with firearms are done with handguns. And I can guarantee you there'd be a hell of a lot more crimes of passion if every single person was walking around with a piece 24/7. Lots of very stupid people everywhere.
So what makes it okay for a few people to own BIGGER weapons? Like you said... Lots of VERY stupid people around... Giving them bigger guns makes you just as stupid... (note, you is generic)
I feel much safer knowing all of my neighbors own semi-auto rifles or shotguns than I would knowing that everyone I meet on the street is ready for a firefight.
But it wouldn't just be your neighbors... It would also be the people looking to cause you harm.

And I'm sorry, but it IS the duty of the police "To Serve and Protect." That's what they're there for... Their main responsibility is not to write tickets for speeding or not using a turn signal. Their main purpose is not to break up house parties... Their MAIN responsibility and focus is (and should be) the safety of citizens. That's why they're allowed to do the things they can do... Because we trust them with our safety.

Last edited:
And I'm sorry, but it IS the duty of the police "To Serve and Protect." That's what they're there for... Their main responsibility is not to write tickets for speeding or not using a turn signal. Their main purpose is not to break up house parties... Their MAIN responsibility and focus is (and should be) the safety of citizens. That's why they're allowed to do the things they can do... Because we trust them with our safety.
I guess you missed/ignored someones earlier comment that....The Supreme Court has ruled, more than once, that the Police exist to protect "The Masses", not any one specific individual. Your personal protection is your responcibilty( routinely ignored by anti-gun Laws). If you call the Police & they don't show, tough luck, you can't sue. As far as what we can own the US Militia Act of 1790 requires the ownership of a firearm simular to that in use with the US Army if you are of military age. The body of the US Constitution authorises Privateers. What is a Privateer? A privatly owned warship. What are they armed with? Cannons, so ownership of cannons is authorized by the Constitution. Stats show a lot more criminals are killed by Citizens vs the Cops. As far as everyone carrying would cause an increase in shootings, that's exactly what the antis said when Fla. put their "Must Issue" CCW Law into effect. Didn't happen & crime is down in Fla & every other State that adopted must issue.

Back