Student kills 9 before commiting suicide...

--
Boots

March 22nd, 2005  
Redleg

Topic: Student kills 9 before commiting suicide...

Quote:
A student who authorities said killed nine people Monday before turning the gun on himself apparently disliked interracial mixing, according to postings on a neo-Nazi Web site.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/03/22/sch...ing/index.html

From yesterday:
http://edition.cnn.com/2005/US/03/21...ing/index.html

Any more news about this tragedy from the US?
March 23rd, 2005  
USAFAUX2004

Yea, I actually had a debate with my friend, I think things like this only happen in America
March 26th, 2005  
Themrose89

Doubtful. People do completey heartless and senseless things throughout the world. Its a pity, but it happens
--
Boots
March 26th, 2005  
Duty Honor Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFAUX2004
Yea, I actually had a debate with my friend, I think things like this only happen in America
You had better check your self. The BBC seems to show quite a few school shootings in Europe

Quote:
Scotland, March 1996: Gun enthusiast Thomas Hamilton shoots 16 children and their teacher dead at their primary school in Dunblane, Scotland before killing himself.

Yemen, March 1997: A man with an assault rifle attacked hundreds of pupils at two schools in Sanaa, Yemen, killing six children and two others. He was sentenced to death the next day.

United States, October 1997: A 16-year-old boy fatally stabbed his mother before shooting dead two students, including his former girlfriend, at Pearl High School in Pearl, Mississippi.

United States, December 1997: A 14-year old boy killed three students attending a prayer meeting at Heath High School in West Paducah, Kentucky.

United States, March 1998: Two boys aged 13 and 11 killed four pupils and a teacher after setting off fire alarms at Westside Middle School in Jonesboro, Arkansas.

United States, April 1999: Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris killed 12 of their classmates and a teacher at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado, before killing themselves.

Germany, November 1999: A 15-year-old student in Meissen, eastern Germany, stabbed his teacher to death after taking bets from classmates he would dare commit the crime.

He was later jailed for seven years.

Germany, March 2000: A 16-year-old pupil at a private boarding school in the Bavarian town of Branneburg, shot a 57-year-old teacher, who later died from injuries.

The teenager - who also shot himself - was facing expulsion from school after failing a cannabis test.

Germany, February 2002: A former pupil killed his headmaster and set off pipe bombs in the technical school he had recently been expelled from in Freising near Munich.

The man also shot dead his boss and a foreman at the company he worked for before turning the gun on himself. Another teacher was shot in the face, but survived.

Germany, April 2002: Seventeen people killed after a gunman - a former pupil - opens fire in a school in Erfurt, eastern Germany. He then turned the gun on himself.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/1953425.stm

17 people killed in 2002...I wonder why I do not know about that since it is worse than Columbine? It is because the USA is one of few countries where ALL of our problems are hung out on the cloth line for all to see
March 26th, 2005  
USAFAUX2004

well they are also more common
March 26th, 2005  
Themrose89

In agreement with Doody, I will say that Americans do tend to show alot more stuff than many other countrys. However, this does not nessarily mean that it happens more in America than other parts of the world, porptionately or otherwise.
March 26th, 2005  
Duty Honor Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFAUX2004
well they are also more common
The press coverage is the big issue on not knowing what goes on in the world. The world gasped when Columbine and this new shooting occurred. But I did not know about the shooting in Germany in 2002 even though the number killed was greater than the 2 US school shootings. Me not knowing means little press coverage was given to the German shooting. I follow the news very closely, and there is little that I miss. If you had been sent on 2 deployments due to international affairs, you'd follow the news closely too.

Actually the last few years has shown Germany leads the way in school shootings. The USA has a population of 280 million to Germany's 81 million. If school shootings are more common in the USA, then we should have 12 school shootings to Germany's 4. BUT the USA is this evil place where students are shooting eachother frequently

I will be extremely disappointed if I get another one line response
March 26th, 2005  
USAFAUX2004

I guess, you do have a good point on the whole news issue. But it just seems that this kind of thing would not happen in Eastern Europe (maybe kids can't get their hands on guns?) But knowing what school is like over in Europe and what it is like over here, I can Understand why these kids loose it and go on a rampage just like that.
March 26th, 2005  
behemoth79

its nice to see that people try to reason out why people do the things like this. ive come to a simple solution. not because they have a bad family life, or they arent popular, but simply because they are crazy. psycho. insane. mentally unstable. people like them should be idendified and separated from the others before more crazy things like schoolyard shootings occur.
April 2nd, 2005  
Warwick

I would have thought after columbine that keeping guns away from kids would have been a pretty important issue.
Yet that right to bear arms keeps biting you guys on the butt!
Tighter gun control and storage rules, tougher penalties for gun owners who don't store their firearms more safley wouldn't hurt for a start.