Student kills 9 before commiting suicide...

USAFAUX2004 said:
Yea, I actually had a debate with my friend, I think things like this only happen in America

You had better check your self. The BBC seems to show quite a few school shootings in Europe

Scotland, March 1996: Gun enthusiast Thomas Hamilton shoots 16 children and their teacher dead at their primary school in Dunblane, Scotland before killing himself.

Yemen, March 1997: A man with an assault rifle attacked hundreds of pupils at two schools in Sanaa, Yemen, killing six children and two others. He was sentenced to death the next day.

United States, October 1997: A 16-year-old boy fatally stabbed his mother before shooting dead two students, including his former girlfriend, at Pearl High School in Pearl, Mississippi.

United States, December 1997: A 14-year old boy killed three students attending a prayer meeting at Heath High School in West Paducah, Kentucky.

United States, March 1998: Two boys aged 13 and 11 killed four pupils and a teacher after setting off fire alarms at Westside Middle School in Jonesboro, Arkansas.

United States, April 1999: Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris killed 12 of their classmates and a teacher at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado, before killing themselves.

Germany, November 1999: A 15-year-old student in Meissen, eastern Germany, stabbed his teacher to death after taking bets from classmates he would dare commit the crime.

He was later jailed for seven years.

Germany, March 2000: A 16-year-old pupil at a private boarding school in the Bavarian town of Branneburg, shot a 57-year-old teacher, who later died from injuries.

The teenager - who also shot himself - was facing expulsion from school after failing a cannabis test.

Germany, February 2002: A former pupil killed his headmaster and set off pipe bombs in the technical school he had recently been expelled from in Freising near Munich.

The man also shot dead his boss and a foreman at the company he worked for before turning the gun on himself. Another teacher was shot in the face, but survived.

Germany, April 2002: Seventeen people killed after a gunman - a former pupil - opens fire in a school in Erfurt, eastern Germany. He then turned the gun on himself.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/1953425.stm

17 people killed in 2002...I wonder why I do not know about that since it is worse than Columbine? It is because the USA is one of few countries where ALL of our problems are hung out on the cloth line for all to see

In agreement with Doody, I will say that Americans do tend to show alot more stuff than many other countrys. However, this does not nessarily mean that it happens more in America than other parts of the world, porptionately or otherwise.

USAFAUX2004 said:
well they are also more common
The press coverage is the big issue on not knowing what goes on in the world. The world gasped when Columbine and this new shooting occurred. But I did not know about the shooting in Germany in 2002 even though the number killed was greater than the 2 US school shootings. Me not knowing means little press coverage was given to the German shooting. I follow the news very closely, and there is little that I miss. If you had been sent on 2 deployments due to international affairs, you'd follow the news closely too.

Actually the last few years has shown Germany leads the way in school shootings. The USA has a population of 280 million to Germany's 81 million. If school shootings are more common in the USA, then we should have 12 school shootings to Germany's 4. BUT the USA is this evil place where students are shooting eachother frequently

I will be extremely disappointed if I get another one line response

I guess, you do have a good point on the whole news issue. But it just seems that this kind of thing would not happen in Eastern Europe (maybe kids can't get their hands on guns?) But knowing what school is like over in Europe and what it is like over here, I can Understand why these kids loose it and go on a rampage just like that.

its nice to see that people try to reason out why people do the things like this. ive come to a simple solution. not because they have a bad family life, or they arent popular, but simply because they are crazy. psycho. insane. mentally unstable. people like them should be idendified and separated from the others before more crazy things like schoolyard shootings occur.

I would have thought after columbine that keeping guns away from kids would have been a pretty important issue.
Yet that right to bear arms keeps biting you guys on the butt!
Tighter gun control and storage rules, tougher penalties for gun owners who don't store their firearms more safley wouldn't hurt for a start.

He got the gun from his grandfather, a retired policeman, and killed the man to get it. Perhaps you should checkout the facts more closely before you make such sweaping statements.

Sweeping statements????
Gawd!!!! How many kids have to die or commit these acts before the authoritys get serious about gun control and sort it all out.

Again, those laws wouldn't have made a damn bit of difference. The guns were locked up. He killed his grandfather to get the gun.

You can make all the laws you want, but until society itself is changed it won't make a dent in the problem which, by the way, is far from isolated to America as events in Australia, New Zealand, Scotland, Germany and dozens of other countries around the world have proven.

I see it as a cancer growing on the body of society. It's endemic to our rate of growth. As Einstein said, "our technology is outpacing our humanity". There is a ball playing field where I grew up as there is probably in every town. When I was a boy it was so well used that you had to wait your turn to use it to play baseball, or football, or soccer, etc. I remember watching other kids play for hours before my friends and I could get our chance to use it. I drove by it last summer on a fine beautiful Saturday afternoon... and it was empty.

Well the world is going down because of the computers (ike now) instead of reading a book (which i will do later anyway) I am at a computer. But back to the point (oh, and yea don't start with the whole, bad games give kids these bad ideas for murder) I think that if the guns were locked up they should have been in a safe with a combination which only the adults know. I am not sure on the details, but unless it was locked up and the kid tortured his grandparents for it, it was not properly locked up!

He killed his grandfather and took the keys to where the guns were locked up. How many times do I have to post that?

And whether you want to hear it or not, there is a proven connection to the violence of youth and violent video games. Doesn't affect all or even a significant majority but it does affect some. In the late teen years the rational decision areas of the brain are still under development. They don't get fully formed until the mid-20s. In a very small percentage of youth this can result in disassociation from real events and choices. But that isn't all of what I'm talking about, or even the most important part of it. The lack of connection with others in real world events and activities is the problem. Sports are on decline, the malls have replaced Main Street, and parents are so consumed with work they have no time for family. That is the real problem.

Charge_7 said:
He killed his grandfather and took the keys to where the guns were locked up. How many times do I have to post that?

And whether you want to hear it or not, there is a proven connection to the violence of youth and violent video games. Doesn't affect all or even a significant majority but it does affect some. In the late teen years the rational decision areas of the brain are still under development. They don't get fully formed until the mid-20s. In a very small percentage of youth this can result in disassociation from real events and choices. But that isn't all of what I'm talking about, or even the most important part of it. The lack of connection with others in real world events and activities is the problem. Sports are on decline, the malls have replaced Main Street, and parents are so consumed with work they have no time for family. That is the real problem.

yes you keep mentioning his grandfather & the locked away weapon. but what of all the other shootings?

personally i think it's just the unwillingness for anyone to take personal responsibility;

"oh dear we did a crappy job of raising our child, we should have taken an interest in their life etc etc"

rap music didn't make him do it, chat rooms didn't make him do it, marilyn manson didn't make him do it, doom didn't make him do it.

if it did, i would've been shooting up the hallways long ago, but for two simple things; my parents took an interest and i have ZERO access to fire arms.

seems simple to me, but no one will ever be able to get rid of crappy parents and the US seems unwilling to toughening their gun laws.

I heard about what happened a couple of days ago. Coincidentally, in English we were assigned to find a problem, and possible solutions. I took the chance, and I'm now doing my research on school shootings and what we can do to prevent and stop them. So far I've found a lot of helpful information, and whereas I'm sure it's not going to stop school shootings, I'm hoping it'll get a message out to my class and maybe stir things up a bit. I'm trying to think of a way to stir things up a little bit.

As far as the Red Lake shootings, I do not blame the gun. As Charge said, they were properly locked up. The only way it could have been more secured would be if they were locked in a Biometric fingerprint/voice print safe. In my english class for the research project, someone did a gun control project and advocated the limiting of firearm ownership to law enforcement and government...which I pointed out would only cause more harm than good. The gun can not be blamed, what can be blamed is the grandparents and teachers/admin/students inability to recognize that there was a problem. Clearly there was one if it's true that the kid was surfing Neo-Nazi boards and whatnot.

Back