Student kills 9 before commiting suicide... - Page 2

--
Boots

April 2nd, 2005  
Charge 7

He got the gun from his grandfather, a retired policeman, and killed the man to get it. Perhaps you should checkout the facts more closely before you make such sweaping statements.
April 3rd, 2005  
Warwick

Sweeping statements????
Gawd!!!! How many kids have to die or commit these acts before the authoritys get serious about gun control and sort it all out.
April 3rd, 2005  
Charge 7

Again, those laws wouldn't have made a damn bit of difference. The guns were locked up. He killed his grandfather to get the gun.

You can make all the laws you want, but until society itself is changed it won't make a dent in the problem which, by the way, is far from isolated to America as events in Australia, New Zealand, Scotland, Germany and dozens of other countries around the world have proven.
--
Boots
April 4th, 2005  
Warwick

True.
Kids seem to be resorting to extreme violence more and more these days.
April 4th, 2005  
Charge 7

I see it as a cancer growing on the body of society. It's endemic to our rate of growth. As Einstein said, "our technology is outpacing our humanity". There is a ball playing field where I grew up as there is probably in every town. When I was a boy it was so well used that you had to wait your turn to use it to play baseball, or football, or soccer, etc. I remember watching other kids play for hours before my friends and I could get our chance to use it. I drove by it last summer on a fine beautiful Saturday afternoon... and it was empty.
April 5th, 2005  
USAFAUX2004

Well the world is going down because of the computers (ike now) instead of reading a book (which i will do later anyway) I am at a computer. But back to the point (oh, and yea don't start with the whole, bad games give kids these bad ideas for murder) I think that if the guns were locked up they should have been in a safe with a combination which only the adults know. I am not sure on the details, but unless it was locked up and the kid tortured his grandparents for it, it was not properly locked up!
April 5th, 2005  
Charge 7

He killed his grandfather and took the keys to where the guns were locked up. How many times do I have to post that?

And whether you want to hear it or not, there is a proven connection to the violence of youth and violent video games. Doesn't affect all or even a significant majority but it does affect some. In the late teen years the rational decision areas of the brain are still under development. They don't get fully formed until the mid-20s. In a very small percentage of youth this can result in disassociation from real events and choices. But that isn't all of what I'm talking about, or even the most important part of it. The lack of connection with others in real world events and activities is the problem. Sports are on decline, the malls have replaced Main Street, and parents are so consumed with work they have no time for family. That is the real problem.
April 5th, 2005  
chewie_nz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge_7
He killed his grandfather and took the keys to where the guns were locked up. How many times do I have to post that?

And whether you want to hear it or not, there is a proven connection to the violence of youth and violent video games. Doesn't affect all or even a significant majority but it does affect some. In the late teen years the rational decision areas of the brain are still under development. They don't get fully formed until the mid-20s. In a very small percentage of youth this can result in disassociation from real events and choices. But that isn't all of what I'm talking about, or even the most important part of it. The lack of connection with others in real world events and activities is the problem. Sports are on decline, the malls have replaced Main Street, and parents are so consumed with work they have no time for family. That is the real problem.
yes you keep mentioning his grandfather & the locked away weapon. but what of all the other shootings?

personally i think it's just the unwillingness for anyone to take personal responsibility;

"oh dear we did a crappy job of raising our child, we should have taken an interest in their life etc etc"

rap music didn't make him do it, chat rooms didn't make him do it, marilyn manson didn't make him do it, doom didn't make him do it.

if it did, i would've been shooting up the hallways long ago, but for two simple things; my parents took an interest and i have ZERO access to fire arms.

seems simple to me, but no one will ever be able to get rid of crappy parents and the US seems unwilling to toughening their gun laws.
April 6th, 2005  
CDTGaticaW201

I heard about what happened a couple of days ago. Coincidentally, in English we were assigned to find a problem, and possible solutions. I took the chance, and I'm now doing my research on school shootings and what we can do to prevent and stop them. So far I've found a lot of helpful information, and whereas I'm sure it's not going to stop school shootings, I'm hoping it'll get a message out to my class and maybe stir things up a bit. I'm trying to think of a way to stir things up a little bit.

As far as the Red Lake shootings, I do not blame the gun. As Charge said, they were properly locked up. The only way it could have been more secured would be if they were locked in a Biometric fingerprint/voice print safe. In my english class for the research project, someone did a gun control project and advocated the limiting of firearm ownership to law enforcement and government...which I pointed out would only cause more harm than good. The gun can not be blamed, what can be blamed is the grandparents and teachers/admin/students inability to recognize that there was a problem. Clearly there was one if it's true that the kid was surfing Neo-Nazi boards and whatnot.