Strykers - Page 5




 
--
 
March 3rd, 2005  
Charge 7
 
 
"Yes, but where do you put the replacement tire on the LAV?"

You don't need any. With run flat tires you can go about 150 miles before they are so degraded that they are unserviceable. Plenty of time to get to a location for replacement.
March 3rd, 2005  
chewie_nz
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge_7
"Yes, but where do you put the replacement tire on the LAV?"

You don't need any. With run flat tires you can go about 150 miles before they are so degraded that they are unserviceable. Plenty of time to get to a location for replacement.
indeed, see aussienick's comment further up
March 3rd, 2005  
Pete031
 
 
A spare tire can be fitted to the back of the ramp... the only problem with that is you cannot open the rear combat door. You can however operate the ramp or use the air sentry hatches.
--
March 4th, 2005  
thegrinch073
 
 
Another thing is that the M113 is heavier than the stryker and the stryker is more transportable. This is the current military doctrine by the United States and it is geared for the urban enviroment. I'm not sure why the army just doesn't copy the marine's lav. THeir light, movable, amphibious, and have the 25mm cannon in the standard variant but also has the antitank, logistics, command and control, and morter variants.
March 4th, 2005  
Pete031
 
 
The Marines LAV 25 is a different Chasis than the Stryker... It's older without a lot of the gen 3 kit that goes with it.
March 4th, 2005  
chewie_nz
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrinch073
Another thing is that the M113 is heavier than the stryker and the stryker is more transportable. This is the current military doctrine by the United States and it is geared for the urban enviroment. I'm not sure why the army just doesn't copy the marine's lav. THeir light, movable, amphibious, and have the 25mm cannon in the standard variant but also has the antitank, logistics, command and control, and morter variants.
i dunno about the transportable thing. NZ has had the '13's for years without any issues on transporting them in Herc's. but the NZLAV's are a tight fit indeed. plus they can only fly one HALF WAY across the tasman sea.

March 7th, 2005  
rocco
 
stryker - 36,240lb

m113 - 11 tons (this is an uparmored gavin), the zelda 2 and L-vas are even better armored

btw the stryker has to be disasmbled to be airlifted in c-130
March 7th, 2005  
chewie_nz
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco
stryker - 36,240lb

m113 - 11 tons (this is an uparmored gavin), the zelda 2 and L-vas are even better armored

btw the stryker has to be disasmbled to be airlifted in c-130
i don't think thats right rocco, refer to picture above...and i've seen a picture of a US striker driving off a c130
March 7th, 2005  
Kozzy Mozzy
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco
stryker - 36,240lb

m113 - 11 tons (this is an uparmored gavin), the zelda 2 and L-vas are even better armored

btw the stryker has to be disasmbled to be airlifted in c-130
The uparmored M113 doesn't weigh 11 tons, that's the original bare bones model. At that it's only protected against 7.62mm and shrapnel, 12.7mm will go right though both sides.

P.S.: Don't call it Gavin