Strykers - Page 2

--

March 1st, 2005  
FO Seaman

I think it is OK. the M113 does a better job. Same armor thickness, same weapons, same anti-RPG system, but its tracked and has a smaller capasity of troops that it can carry, the M113 also has firing ports for the troops to shoot out of. I'd say the M113A2 ACAV is better. The ACAV has One M2 (.50cal) and two M60's or M240's, and the weapons have armor plates to protect the gunner.

March 1st, 2005  
r031Button

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadet Airman Adam Seaman
I think it is OK. the M113 does a better job. Same armor thickness, same weapons, same anti-RPG system, but its tracked and has a smaller capasity of troops that it can carry, the M113 also has firing ports for the troops to shoot out of. I'd say the M113A2 ACAV is better. The ACAV has One M2 (.50cal) and two M60's or M240's, and the weapons have armor plates to protect the gunner.

The M113 is also slower, and is starting to show it's age. I have to agree with my commonwealth buddies as, the 25mm turret seems like such an critical system; why the US opted not to include it is beyond me.
March 1st, 2005  
FO Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by r031Button
Quote:

The M113 is also slower, and is starting to show it's age. I have to agree with my commonwealth buddies as, the 25mm turret seems like such an critical system; why the US opted not to include it is beyond me.
So is the M2 and the M1 and the Hummer. The M113 can get places Strykers can't and the M113 had a 25mm turret. Why throw away a good design?
--
March 1st, 2005  
Rotty261

One thing to be kept in mind that some of todays 'wars/conflicts' are kept politically correct and we are befriending/rebuilding nations (such as Iraq). You take a few hundred tracked vehicles through a city on a regular basis and their roads will soon become gravel. I think that is one of the main factors in trying to go with wheeled vehicles for some of these missions, I do not agree with it but that is something I am sure gets thought of at a higher level...
March 1st, 2005  
Whispering Death

good point about how tracked vehicles impact civilian live rotty!
March 1st, 2005  
FO Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotty261
One thing to be kept in mind that some of todays 'wars/conflicts' are kept politically correct and we are befriending/rebuilding nations (such as Iraq). You take a few hundred tracked vehicles through a city on a regular basis and their roads will soon become gravel. I think that is one of the main factors in trying to go with wheeled vehicles for some of these missions, I do not agree with it but that is something I am sure gets thought of at a higher level...

You lead a patrol throught a village everyday and you get attack eveyday, the buildings are pockmarked and the roads a gravel becasue of IED's and RPG's. I don't see to many roads in Iraq except for Baghdad and do you really think those road are in good shape. Besides it lets people know that there is something that they don't want to tangle with outside there door and make them think twice.
March 1st, 2005  
chewie_nz

the advantages of tracks (as i understand) is a decrease in ground pressure...therefore making it possible to moved across soft ground conditions. in a mainly urban environment (and in peacetime) the increased benifits over higher speed & lower fuel consumption can be a serios advantage over tracks.

also, with run flat and kevlar armoured tires...wheels aren't the weakness they used to be IMHO
March 1st, 2005  
r031Button

Quote:
Quote:

You lead a patrol throught a village everyday and you get attack eveyday, the buildings are pockmarked and the roads a gravel becasue of IED's and RPG's. I don't see to many roads in Iraq except for Baghdad and do you really think those road are in good shape. Besides it lets people know that there is something that they don't want to tangle with outside there door and make them think twice.
Keep in mind that Rotty is in Iraq. So if anybody has a good idea of the situation there, it would be him, and the others who have served there.
March 1st, 2005  
chewie_nz

March 1st, 2005  
Rotty261

Quote:
Quote:

I do not mean to disrespect you so don't take it that way, but I have lead patrols when I was enlisted and I would have loved nothing more than to be totally wrapped up in armor and not expose my self to danger. I see that you are still in high school so obviously have not lead or been in a patrol during combat and I hope you never have too. But unfortunately troops have to hit the ground and even worse off politics does play a role in war now. There are lots of paved roads throughout Iraq and I am sure that through the political process some people want to try and preserve those. Like I said before, just because I am saying this does not mean that I agree with it, I am just sure it is a topic of why wheeled vehicles are preffered in some situations.