Originally Posted by Pete031
Just the word around the Base...
really..
June 19th, 2005  
jackehammond

Topic: Re: The Stryker Cannon Version - Something NOW for Iraq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadet Seaman
Ok, the Stryker Cannon version (Mobile Gun System) has a 105mm Auto-load Cannon. As a matter of fact the US Army had some M113's armed with the Cockerill 90mm in the 80's, worked like a charm.

The reaosn the Abrams doesn't fire HEP (High Explosives Plastic) is because, HEP only grazes heavy armor, unlike HEAT or Sabot, as proved in the Patton Museum exhibit. Also because the Abrams has HEAT, Sabot, and now Canister.
Dear Member,

The US Army never fielded the M113 with the Cockerill cannon. FMC the maker offered that version for expert. (btw, for many years the Australian Army had a fire support armored vehicle based on the M113 with the turret from the Scorpion with the 75mm cannon).

HEP does not graze anything. It effect is squash where it plasters itself to the armor and a base fuze expodes it causing spalling on the inside. Against RHA (solid armor plating) this type of round is very effective. But against the newer spaced, laminated and CHOBHAM armor used on the Abrams it does not work. Also, a HEP round was not developed for the Abrams 120mm cannon because all the 120mm rounds are stored in the rear of the turret bustle in a horizontal fashion and HEP because of the type of HE it uses has to be stored at vertical or near vertical -- ie as told me by the 1995 Abrams program manager Colonel Dodge at Ft Knox when he was asked why that round would not be available to the Abrams that were sent to Somalia.

Jack E. Hammond
June 20th, 2005  
FO Seaman

Topic: Re: The Stryker Cannon Version - Something NOW for Iraq

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackehammond
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadet Seaman
Ok, the Stryker Cannon version (Mobile Gun System) has a 105mm Auto-load Cannon. As a matter of fact the US Army had some M113's armed with the Cockerill 90mm in the 80's, worked like a charm.

The reaosn the Abrams doesn't fire HEP (High Explosives Plastic) is because, HEP only grazes heavy armor, unlike HEAT or Sabot, as proved in the Patton Museum exhibit. Also because the Abrams has HEAT, Sabot, and now Canister.
Dear Member,

The US Army never fielded the M113 with the Cockerill cannon. FMC the maker offered that version for expert. (btw, for many years the Australian Army had a fire support armored vehicle based on the M113 with the turret from the Scorpion with the 75mm cannon).

HEP does not graze anything. It effect is squash where it plasters itself to the armor and a base fuze expodes it causing spalling on the inside. Against RHA (solid armor plating) this type of round is very effective. But against the newer spaced, laminated and CHOBHAM armor used on the Abrams it does not work. Also, a HEP round was not developed for the Abrams 120mm cannon because all the 120mm rounds are stored in the rear of the turret bustle in a horizontal fashion and HEP because of the type of HE it uses has to be stored at vertical or near vertical -- ie as told me by the 1995 Abrams program manager Colonel Dodge at Ft Knox when he was asked why that round would not be available to the Abrams that were sent to Somalia.

Jack E. Hammond
The Us Army did field a M113 with a Cockerill gun, i.e. asked my squadron captian, whos a captain in the 16th Cav about it and yes they did. HEP will grazes rolled steel armor, I've seen it. Now steel platings a different story.
--
September 23rd, 2005  
warhappy100

The Stryker MGS is not equal to XM8AGS and it has no place on the battle
field at all back in the mid 90s the XM8AGS was have entered service but cause of the USArmy desire to kill it over not losing personal they chose
to leave units like 82nd,2ACR and other light units without any real
direct support .The Stryker MGS is not good subsitute for the headache
causing M551 Sheridan and it will never a good one at best.
How many M113 are inventory and how quick and be retrofitted with
the weapons station of Stryker APC and applique armor when they need it how quick can the companys behind XM8AGS or StingRayII put them into production if asked by the US Army if they had to admit they screwed
up. in there shows back then I would have canceled the Crusader SP and
retired the OH-58s to free up money for XM8AGS and the now history
RAH-66 Comanche and kill any more new or reworked AH-64.
I am not fan of wheeled AFV or APC there only place in this world is
for peace keeping duties when the shooting is over.

wheeled AFV/APC are and have place in war!
September 23rd, 2005  
warhappy100

No Place In War!