Strongest Gun - Page 4

--

January 14th, 2006  
FO Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sven hassell
Sorry Cadet Seaman but the 25x59mm round leaving at 790m/s is not in excess of a 20x110mm leaving at 850m/s.Or are my maths wrong? By the way Zander the RT-20 is made in Croatia whilst the Xm109 is under development by Barrett Firearms so will probably end up in service with the U.S. armed forces.

While you are correct that the RT-20 has a faster MPS, it does not mean the 20x110mm gets greater penetration. The M82A1 .50cal can fire the SLAP-T round (Saboted Light Weight Armor Penetrator- Tracer) is clocked at 1215m/s and can penetrate 34mm of armor.
January 15th, 2006  
sven hassell

You certainly seem to know what you're talking about so I bow down to your greater knowledge.Still has anyone any pics of the effects of either of these monsters.The closest I can find is a headshot insurgent with a M82 on Ogrish.(ouch!)
January 16th, 2006  
Doug97

If muzzle energy means 'strength' then the Steyr IWS 2000 must be in the running:

It fires 15.2mm ultra-high velocity APFSDS projectiles (here it is next to a 7.62mm NATO cartridge):
--
January 16th, 2006  
major liability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadet Seaman
While you are correct that the RT-20 has a faster MPS, it does not mean the 20x110mm gets greater penetration. The M82A1 .50cal can fire the SLAP-T round (Saboted Light Weight Armor Penetrator- Tracer) is clocked at 1215m/s and can penetrate 34mm of armor.
So imagine what the Hispano could do with a similar cartridge.
January 16th, 2006  
LeEnfield

If you want a rugged bit of kit then go for a AK47, you can throw it around in the sea and in the desert and it still fire.
January 16th, 2006  
sven hassell

If we're going to include special purpose rounds then the goalposts are moving.You could start to include explosive rounds and then were talking rocket launchers.
I trust the judgement of 5.56x45mm.This guy seems to really know his onions!
So if you're reading this Louis,is there any weapon that is one man portable,that will fire a single kinetic round that will inflict more damage than a hispano from a RT-20..?
January 16th, 2006  
System Bolaget

Fireinthedisco, I am interested in knowing what your idea is. Also, I would like to tell you that whatevr it is that you should send it to yourself via registered mail. When you get it, do not open it. Keep it on hand unless somebody tries to steal your idea. It's called a poor man's copyright. Being dated by the post office it proves you thought of the thing at that time.
January 17th, 2006  
zander_0633

Well, No necessary. You can try to send via both snail mail and email. That way, you will be sure it is dated!
January 17th, 2006  
FO Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug97
If muzzle energy means 'strength' then the Steyr IWS 2000 must be in the running:

It fires 15.2mm ultra-high velocity APFSDS projectiles (here it is next to a 7.62mm NATO cartridge):
That about takes the cake, clocked at 1450m/s.
But it's penetration is weak, only 40mm's.
January 18th, 2006  
Doug97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadet Seaman
That about takes the cake, clocked at 1450m/s.
But it's penetration is weak, only 40mm's.
Yeah I can't help thinking the penetration should be more than that, considering the size of the weapon (although the figure of 40mm is at 1000m).