Strongest Gun

The worlds 'strongest' gun(im assuming you mean a weapon that can be carried and fired by a single soldier with kinetic rounds,not explosive missiles so rocket launchers is out) has got to be the Croatian RT-20 rifle.
It fires the Hispano 20 x 110mm round which is a 130gram (2000 grains) at a muzzle velocity of 850 metres a second. If anyone has any pictures of the effects of this rifle when an AP load has been used against infantry I would be interested to see just how much devastation it can cause . If anyone knows of a gun(personal firearm) which is 'stronger'(has superior penetration) then I apologise for my mistake.:sorry:

Poked around the internet and found the gun Sven Hassell was talking about:
http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn56-e.htm
rt-20.jpg

rt20_1.jpg

20hs404.jpg

50 cal machine gun round on top, RT-20's round on the bottom.

Last edited:
sven hassell said:
The worlds 'strongest' gun(im assuming you mean a weapon that can be carried and fired by a single soldier with kinetic rounds,not explosive missiles so rocket launchers is out) has got to be the Croatian RT-20 rifle.
It fires the Hispano 20 x 110mm round which is a 130gram (2000 grains) at a muzzle velocity of 850 metres a second. If anyone has any pictures of the effects of this rifle when an AP load has been used against infantry I would be interested to see just how much devastation it can cause . If anyone knows of a gun(personal firearm) which is 'stronger'(has superior penetration) then I apologise for my mistake.:sorry:

The XM109 25mm Payload Rifle firing the 25mm "Cargo Round", I don't know he exact specs but it is stated by six different sites that the XM109 is the marker line between sniper rifle and cannon.

lg_xm109-lg.jpg

Sorry Cadet Seaman but the 25x59mm round leaving at 790m/s is not in excess of a 20x110mm leaving at 850m/s.Or are my maths wrong? By the way Zander the RT-20 is made in Croatia whilst the Xm109 is under development by Barrett Firearms so will probably end up in service with the U.S. armed forces.

sven hassell said:
Sorry Cadet Seaman but the 25x59mm round leaving at 790m/s is not in excess of a 20x110mm leaving at 850m/s.Or are my maths wrong? By the way Zander the RT-20 is made in Croatia whilst the Xm109 is under development by Barrett Firearms so will probably end up in service with the U.S. armed forces.

While you are correct that the RT-20 has a faster MPS, it does not mean the 20x110mm gets greater penetration. The M82A1 .50cal can fire the SLAP-T round (Saboted Light Weight Armor Penetrator- Tracer) is clocked at 1215m/s and can penetrate 34mm of armor.

You certainly seem to know what you're talking about so I bow down to your greater knowledge.Still has anyone any pics of the effects of either of these monsters.The closest I can find is a headshot insurgent with a M82 on Ogrish.(ouch!)

If muzzle energy means 'strength' then the Steyr IWS 2000 must be in the running:
steyr_amr_1.jpg

It fires 15.2mm ultra-high velocity APFSDS projectiles (here it is next to a 7.62mm NATO cartridge):
steyr_amm.jpg

Last edited:
Cadet Seaman said:
While you are correct that the RT-20 has a faster MPS, it does not mean the 20x110mm gets greater penetration. The M82A1 .50cal can fire the SLAP-T round (Saboted Light Weight Armor Penetrator- Tracer) is clocked at 1215m/s and can penetrate 34mm of armor.

So imagine what the Hispano could do with a similar cartridge.

If you want a rugged bit of kit then go for a AK47, you can throw it around in the sea and in the desert and it still fire.

If we're going to include special purpose rounds then the goalposts are moving.You could start to include explosive rounds and then were talking rocket launchers.
I trust the judgement of 5.56x45mm.This guy seems to really know his onions!
So if you're reading this Louis,is there any weapon that is one man portable,that will fire a single kinetic round that will inflict more damage than a hispano from a RT-20..?

Fireinthedisco, I am interested in knowing what your idea is. Also, I would like to tell you that whatevr it is that you should send it to yourself via registered mail. When you get it, do not open it. Keep it on hand unless somebody tries to steal your idea. It's called a poor man's copyright. Being dated by the post office it proves you thought of the thing at that time.

Doug97 said:
If muzzle energy means 'strength' then the Steyr IWS 2000 must be in the running:
steyr_amr_1.jpg

It fires 15.2mm ultra-high velocity APFSDS projectiles (here it is next to a 7.62mm NATO cartridge):
steyr_amm.jpg

That about takes the cake, clocked at 1450m/s.
But it's penetration is weak, only 40mm's.

Cadet Seaman said:
That about takes the cake, clocked at 1450m/s.
But it's penetration is weak, only 40mm's.
Yeah I can't help thinking the penetration should be more than that, considering the size of the weapon (although the figure of 40mm is at 1000m).

Back