Strong Concerns I hope Someone Can Help Me With

yfatsam

I am writing this as I have a "Situation" that I Truly Hope someone out there can Help Me with or Answer for Me.....My "Situation" is that.....I had Met someone "online" that Indicated He was in the Military in Afganistan. As a Single Parent I placed My "ad" to Find someone to share life/times with...etc..etc...He Indicated He was in Afganistan, the Father of an 8 yr old and a Widow as His Wife had passed away 3 yrs earlier in a Car Accident. He says He was Deployed to Afganistan in January of this yr in Kabul.....So anyhoot,,,,after chatting & bonding for 3 Months.....In which we are ONLY Allowed to chat via email or Yahoo messenger....However He tells Me his NOT allowed to Call Me or Use His webcam because of "Security Reasons" there in Kabul...(As a Run of the Mill "Civilian", I never questioned it...as I dont know tht Ins & Outs of the Military and RUles. After 3 months of the "chatting/bonding"...He asks Me that We get Married as He Needs to Be "Married" to be able to Add Someone as Beneficary to His Military Pension/Plan.....so being "Lovestruck" if You will....I paid the $1250 to do a Miliatary Marriage by Proxy.....Ok...all seemed "Ok" with that....BUT then shortly after that I was being told I needed to send ANOTHER $3650 for Some " Homeland Security Stamp/Flight Home",,,,,this is where I Have "Red Flags" shooting Up.....I dont understand....1) why despite emailing the Marriage Proxy Dept...I am Told I can Not receive a copy of the Marriage Certificate ( I was told HE will Receive it when He "leaves camp")...2..WHY We are NOT allowed to talk on the phone....only emails...3...Why In Hell a Spouse/Civilian MUST PAY almost $4000 dollars for a ""Homeland Security Stamp/Flight Home"....and when asked to "Send the Money"...its to some Place/Person in NIGERIA!! The payment to the Proxy was in Louisana....Via Western Union....When I try to ask Him for Proof of Anything....why we cant talk, info on the military stuff...(Like How come You havent added Me to Health Benefits or whatever...IF IM REALLY YOUR WIFE).Or to Share Stuff About Him and His Son ( He'll share stuff about Him..to a degree...but Very Little about His Son)Tells Me He has No Other Family or whatever...and when Asked Why He cant Help or Better Yet...Pay to Have Me Added to his Beneficary List..He tells Me He "Cant" help with the Nearly $4000 "Benefits Fee"...cuz ALL of His Money is ""Locked in a Bank Account" in the States (hes from Illinois) and He cant access it til he back in the states.........SO long of short....I NEED TO KNOW IF I AM BEING SCAMMED BY SOME DINGBAT IN NIGERIA...Posing as Him ...(((Also I Accidently Stumpled on His Pictures/Profile whatever on both MYSPACE AND FACEBOOK)..(( hE TELLS ME SOMEONE STOLE HIS IDENTITY AND THAT THE ARMY WAS LOOKING INTO IT)).and IS IT TRUE I CANT HAVE PHONE CALLS, REGULAR TALKS (OTHER THEN YAHOO MESSENGER) AND MOST OF ALL....IS IT NORMAL TO BE ASKED TO SHELL OUT NEARLY 4000 DOLLARS FOR THIS HOMELAND STAMP OR WHATEVER!!????? ((IF IM REALLY HIS WIFE)) We have had MANY Verbal Battles because I am Hesitant to send that kind of Money to someone in Nigera (again Im just a Single parent)...He Tells Me I must somehow send the money cuz They wont "Let Him Out" unless its Paid.....So CAN SOMEONE PLEASE PLEASE TELL ME IF IM JUST BEING A DORK OR IF THEY KNOW/THINK/FEEL IM BEING SCAMMED!! I wont be sending anymore Money until I know its "Safe"....So I hope someone can help me out:) Because If i ask Him...we just end up fighting...cuz I want answers and he just tells Me to Hurry Up and Send the Money so He can come home ""Early""..... thanks for All Insight into this:) And can Anyone tell Me ""How"" I may Find out IF the Marriage Proxy (Marriage) IS REAL??? Id like to Know if Im ""Really"" Married or Not.....AND HOW DO I FIND OUT WHERE HIS " EMAILS" ARE COMING FROM....Im Not too Computer Savvy in that Dept. **Where do these ""People"" get the pictures that they attach to these People ( the military pics I mean)....Any Help with this would be Greatly Appreciated:)

Last edited:
You've been scammed. Cease all contact immediately.

If you need to ask the question, you clearly already know its a scam.

Total BS. That's not the way the military works, you are being scammed. Contact the FBI and give them all the info you have on this a hole. Hopefully they'll be able to at the very least make his life difficult. Sadly, you're probably never going to be reimbursed for any money already spent and any damages that have been inflicted.

Classic Nigerian military dating scam that I warned about in my post of January 17th, relaying to militarygear.com who have an exensive thread on this practice, with lists of faces etc. and plenty of input (we are lacking this here, nobody seems really worried about this scandalous practice).

http://www.military-quotes.com/forum/616604-post.html

Maybe you will find the face of your soldier in the list, but even if not, comment over there so that others have a chance to see the signs and not fall into the trap.

OTOH it might be a good idea to get our act togehter here at IMF also and post an exhaustive topic on how military dating is being abused by the Ghanese and Nigerian scammers, just to spread the news and save more people from being tricked by what they perceive as the US/UK/German/Spanish military.

Rattler

Last edited:
rattler said:
OTOH it might be a good idea to get our act togehter here at IMF also and post an exhaustive topic on how military dating is being abused by the Ghanese and Nigerian scammers, just to spread the news and save more people from being tricked by what they perceive as the US/UK/German/Spanish military.

Rattler

Although I have no knowledge or experience of it myself, this would be very useful and worthwhile.

Failing that, name and shame the scammers and reveal their email address etc. I'm always up for a bit of scammer baiting! :D

Maam, I hate to tell you this, but mu buddies are right. It smells too much of a Nigerian Scam. You've been had, Maam.

Honestly, I think no military operates like the way your "beau" says it.

Theres no point in blaming yourself. You were just vulnerable and some A-hole took advantage of it. Move on, chalk this one up as one of those life lesson, and maybe, just maybe, you will laugh at this whole thing someday...

I feel sorry for you, Maam...

Although I have no knowledge or experience of it myself, this would be very useful and worthwhile.

Failing that, name and shame the scammers and reveal their email address etc. I'm always up for a bit of scammer baiting! :D

So we are hunting scammers now...? :jump::jump::jump:

Personally I'd like to see them burst in flames, which reminds me.

How do you make a cat bark?

Pour petrol over it and light........"WOOF":firedevi:

Personally I'd like to see them burst in flames, which reminds me.

How do you make a cat bark?

Pour petrol over it and light........"WOOF":firedevi:

I've been feeding mine dog food for years now and still no bark. (although he is house trained):|

Back