Strike Group's Deployment Has Some Families On Edge

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
San Diego Union-Tribune
November 6, 2007 By Rick Rogers, Staff Writer
SAN DIEGO – Senior military officers described yesterday's deployment of the San Diego-based Tarawa Expeditionary Strike Group as routine and unexceptional.
Family members of the more than 5,500 departing sailors and Marines sounded more anxious. They know the six-ship contingent serves as a “911 force,” one poised to jump into emergencies during its six-to nine-month voyage in the western Pacific and Indian oceans.
The service members might respond to a crisis involving such countries as Iran, Pakistan or North Korea. They could be sent to a zone devastated by a natural disaster. And while the official itinerary makes no mention of the Iraq war, the Tarawa group could head to the Persian Gulf.
“I'm sad and fearful,” said Cheryl Barbosa, whose 21-year-old son, Seaman Alex Barbosa, embarked on his first combat deployment. “I don't know what to expect with him out there. I have a lot of emotions about him going.”
Next to her at the San Diego Naval Base pier were Alex's wife, Dioniece, and the couple's 6-month-old daughter, Alexis.
“He's going to miss her first everything,” Dioniece Barbosa said, wiping away tears.
Around 8 a.m., she and clusters of other well-wishers stood under overcast skies and watched last-minute preparations for the deployment. The air was punctuated by the cranking of winches, the reverberations of foghorns and the chatter of troops and their loved ones.
Some family members looked glum while holding each other. Others were busy making memories for the coming months.
Karelia Martinez videotaped the dock landing ship Germantown pulling out of port. On the vessel's deck stood her husband, Sgt. Marlin Martinez.
“The kids wanted to come and say goodbye,” said Karelia Martinez, whose family was evacuated two weeks ago when wildfires threatened their housing area at Camp Pendleton. “I want to make this video so we can watch it during the holidays and seem closer to him.”
Reflecting its designation as a rapid-response force, the Tarawa group has a versatile mix of military personnel. This includes about 2,200 Marines and sailors from the Camp Pendleton-based 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit, which can handle a wide range of duties including combat missions and humanitarian operations.
Marine Col. J.W. Bullard, commander of the expeditionary unit, said “it'll be tough being deployed for the holidays,” but that his troops have trained the past six months for their tour.
Navy Capt. John Miley, who oversees the deploying ships, said he's comforted by the kindness that he knows the people of San Diego will extend to military families left behind.
“San Diego is a great supporter of the Navy and Marine Corps,” Miley said.

Back