Stranger the Fiction. Judge Rules That Police Can Bar High I.Q. Scores

5.56X45mm

Milforum Mac Daddy
METRO NEWS BRIEFS: CONNECTICUT; Judge Rules That Police Can Bar High I.Q. Scores

Published: September 9, 1999
A Federal judge has dismissed a lawsuit by a man who was barred from the New London police force because he scored too high on an intelligence test.

In a ruling made public on Tuesday, Judge Peter C. Dorsey of the United States District Court in New Haven agreed that the plaintiff, Robert Jordan, was denied an opportunity to interview for a police job because of his high test scores. But he said that that did not mean Mr. Jordan was a victim of discrimination.

Judge Dorsey ruled that Mr. Jordan was not denied equal protection because the city of New London applied the same standard to everyone: anyone who scored too high was rejected.

Mr. Jordan, 48, who has a bachelor's degree in literature and is an officer with the State Department of Corrections, said he was considering an appeal. ''I was eliminated on the basis of my intellectual makeup,'' he said. ''It's the same as discrimination on the basis of gender or religion or race.''

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9A06E2DB143DF93AA3575AC0A96F958260
I find this stranger then me voting democrat, selling my guns, and supporting Communist China.

A PD that does not hire the smarter candidates?!?!?!?! WTF! I believe that a PD would do better with smarter employees. I mean as a citizen, I'd want to smartest guys and gals working the mean streets. Not some high school reject.

I'm at a loss of words...

They're afraid that people with too high of an IQ will get bored on the job and end up doing weird stuff or just end up doing a worse job than the usual.

With the Judicial system the way it is, I think barring intelligence from a Judgeship is what's hurting us today. :-(

This makes no sense. The only thing I can think of that even comes close to making sense of this is that some say in the Mental Hygiene field that some super smart folks are more apt to being extremely violent. Or, they may implement changes to suit their needs that won't be very useful for the dumber people on the job. Hahahaha. Strange.

It's the latter actually.
Intelligent people may go violent out of frustration but generally I find it is the stupid ones who are openly aggressive in an attempt to hide their incompetence.

The only thing I can think of for comparison was in High School. The principal said I would be bored in my reading comprehension class and underachieve. I got an A in the class, it was boring, and I don't think I ever actually did any of the reading assignments, I used sparknotes, wikipedia, etc. so that I could BS my way through the grueling one page book reports. Yes, I did get bored and worked my way around the rules, but it was for a seventh grade level class I took senior year of high school, nobody was hurt by it. Different story with law enforcement, the guy shouldn't be barred from the force, but they should be able to find a slot for him.

Someone this smart would be good doing some type of intel work most likely, gangs, drugs, terrorism, white collar or some type of agent work even perhaps.

Back