A strange request.

Yossarian

Forum Resistance Leader
I know this sounds a little out of the ordinary.

But I need a diagram or photo of a high pressure steam turbine. The Maritime kind not our modern day "super" turbines in powerplants.

I find some photos however the machine is already inside of a vessel and it's kinda hard to get a total scope of it in a crowded engineering space.

Any knowledge or photo's greatly appreciated.:pirate:

Ya wanna be thankful that there are hoarders in this world. This diagram is out of my course Notes from 1964.

Unfortunately it is not the complete pump, but merely the turbine end, although I'm sure I have a better drawing somewhere.

606f6cd0.jpg

Last edited:
Ya wanna be thankful that there are hoarders in this world. This diagram is out of my course Notes from 1964.

Unfortunately it is not the complete pump, but merely the turbine end, although I'm sure I have a better drawing somewhere.

606f6cd0.jpg

Finally a clear image without catwalks and piping surrounding it.

This is very helpful. I will begin rendering it imediatley.

Thanks again.

Yo.

So... Spike, what else have you got in that kitty of yours,good buddy...
Ohhhh,... don't ask, you might give me the idea to go and dig some more of it out of the steel trunks I have much of it stored in up in my shed. If those shelves ever collapse someone's gunna be killed.

I only donated my old uniforms to a military Museum about 5 years ago, that emptied two trunks. They only wanted one pair of everything, but I said it's gotta be all or nothing. :lol:

What really gave me a giggle was that drawing actually had "CONFIDENTIAL" printed in the bottom right hand corner, although I don't think I've given away any vital military secrets, that type of pump was probably fitted in the Ark.

Last edited:
Ohhhh,... don't ask, you might give me the idea to go and dig some more of it out of the steel trunks I have much of it stored in up in my shed. If those shelves ever collapse someone's gunna be killed.

I only donated my old uniforms to a military Museum about 5 years ago, that emptied two trunks. They only wanted one pair of everything, but I said it's gotta be all or nothing. :lol:

What really gave me a giggle was that drawing actually had "CONFIDENTIAL" printed in the bottom right hand corner, although I don't think I've given away any vital military secrets, that type of pump was probably fitted in the Ark.

The Ark Royal or the Noah's Ark... both are pretty old...

Speaking of old,

Any idea about what a removed Parson's Turbine from the early 20th Century may look like?

I'll have a look,... but you'll have to wait until I can dig out the books.

Mr. Spike ( If I may).

For anyone who has ever said "where's a darn engineer when you need one?"

May they deserve a swift kick in the groin.;-)

Oh you have plenty of time by the way, I am still having a time modeling scotch boilers and coal bunkers...

My mind is blown, I honestly didn't know if you could find it.

Much appreciation, I will adapt and put this in my model as soon as I put in the watertight bulkeads for the engine room.

Mr. Spike ( If I may).

For anyone who has ever said "where's a darn engineer when you need one?"

May they deserve a swift kick in the groin.;-)

Oh you have plenty of time by the way, I am still having a time modeling scotch boilers and coal bunkers...

Yoss, a strange thought just occured to me, lets be naughty boys and ask Spike if he has the blue print for the Mayflower....

I am just jesting, Spike....;)

You didn't throw away anything, didn't you....

Yoss, a strange thought just occured to me, lets be naughty boys and ask Spike if he has the blue print for the Mayflower....

I am just jesting, Spike....;)

You didn't throw away anything, didn't you....

There's hoarders, then their planners. You see, who knows when you may need proper documentation for such designs?

You never know when a buddy will call to remedy a kink or two in a steam ship he just aquired....

It's better to be prepared.

Is this the rotor you had to change in Singapore Spike?

I don't know why, but I imagined turbines to be much longer.
Yes Viper, the HP rotor is only a bit over 2 metres long (but very heavy), and it had been flown all the way from the UK only to be dropped on the tarmac by the forklift from about 2 metres.

I thought our Engineer "The Ferret" was going to jump on his hat when it happened, he immediately took the serial number of the one that was dropped and said that he would not accept it under any circumstances. Whoo hoo!!,... another six or seven weeks in Singapore while they assembled a new one and flew it out. :bravo:
All the way back to the Dockyard the driver and I could hardly stop ourselves from cheering and jumping about, but with The Ferret jammed in the front of the truck with us, we didn't think that it would have been well received.

The Ferret, despite his nickname was actually a really nice chap, (most Engineers were), he was called that because his name was Ferrier.

IMG_2025.jpg

Now all I have to do is replicate this beauty and we are set!
Now that is a beautifully made model, I'd say it's a 1900 - 1920 vintage engine.

Last edited:
Back