Stinger Missiles against Supersonic Cruise Missiles

My understanding is that a stinger is a point defense, low altitude threat with a pretty a pretty small envelope. Mebbe an air defense guy can enlighen us all, but I've never heard of a manpad integrated into an integrated AD system. It's effectiveness against supersonic A/C is probably negligible. That's not the threat it was designed to counter, I believe.

From what I know, MANPADs are mainly meant for low altitude targets, including copters, and low flying aircraft, but in addition, and this according to Raytheon's specifications for Stinger, cruise missiles. Now I would imagine a successful engagement would occur under certain circumstances, but what these circumstances are I'm not sure. So maybe an AD expert could enlighten us indeed.

In terms of re-designing a MANPAD for targets such as the cruise missile, within in a given envelope of lets say 10 miles and with a speed of Mach 4 - which is possible btw, what would be required ? What kind of guidance ? Even though the visual signature of cruise would be small, what other technologies could be employed to effectively engage it in such an envelope ?

Any thoughts on that ?

And by the way, I'm talking in the context of defending a fixed target on the ground from a cruise missile attack, not the invasion of an airspace by cruise missiles. Lets consider the re-designed MANPAD to be located within a 50 mile radius of the defended target for discussion sake.

Why would you want a manpad for a fixed target? Put some real AD assets on it if it's that important. The whole scenario is nonsense.

Back