Still hope for Ol' Blighty yet

bulldogg

Milforum's Bouncer
http://politics.guardian.co.uk/terrorism/story/0,,1710761,00.html?gusrc=rss

Extremist Muslim groups to be banned

Alan Travis and Patrick Wintour
Thursday February 16, 2006
The Guardian

Extremist Muslim groups who "glorify" terrorism are likely to be banned in Britain as early as this summer after Tony Blair yesterday overcame his second backbench rebellion this week to impose new laws designed to clamp down on the celebration of terrorism in speech, placards or on the internet.

MPs voted by 327 to 279, a majority of 38, to reinstate the laws banning the glorification of terrorism, a phrase untried in the legal battle against terrorism in Europe or the US. Only 17 Labour backbenchers rebelled yesterday, 10 fewer than the last time MPs debated the issue in November...

It's pretty close to free speach, which I hold very near and dear. If you are an American that agrees with Al-Quada and hopes they kill more Americans please, preach it loud preach it wide, so we can redicule you and tap your phones.

It's always the quiet ones that are the most trouble.

Now, bulldog, if you want to illiegalize something how about illiegalizing high-ranking government officials from speaking in front of a group of our enemies in a foreign land and telling them lies that incite hatred and possible violence towards America like Al Gore did. That is a crime.

bulldogg said:
What's the bad precedent in outlawing "glorifying acts of terrorism"?

Not saying it is bad to "outlaw" anything. I do believe that it may be a foot in the door to infringe on free speech rights. I agree when they say that you should not abuse free speech. But when you "ban" groups of people then you may be infringing on other rights as well.

Two of the prominent groups likely to be banned are Hizb ut-Tahrir and Omar Bakri's al-Muhajiroun, groups already named by Tony Blair.

After further consideration of the matter I would have to say I agree with Mr Blair, but with reservations. There is no need to encourage or otherwise acknowledge any sort or form of terrorism ,other than to deal with it in the manner it deserves: Get the terrorist dead before they get us dead.

But in merry ol England there is no "right to freedom of speech" nor "freedom of the press". The very reason it was written into our contitution so it's all good on their side of the pond. As I get older I am starting to grow weary of the freedom of speech and the press. In my aging opinion it is far too abused and needs to be reigned in.

Back