Stick To Singing

5.56X45mm

Milforum Mac Daddy
Kim du Toit
June 3, 2008
9:57 AM CDT

You know, I have read some pretty stupid stuff recently—any speech by Obama Rama Ding Dong, for example—but this one absolutely, positively, gets the Moron Of The Year Award:
Pop star and activist Bono has called for the creation of a United States of Africa, saying that a pan-continental identity would serve as a catalyst for resolving its conflicts.

The U2 frontman, who was in Japan to take part in a major development conference last week, said that a United States of Africa “would be the dream” in the long term.

“I think a kind of broader African identity is going to be very important to deal with tribal tensions,” Bono told Tuesday’s Asahi Shimbun, where he served as a guest-editor for a special Africa edition on Saturday.

The Irish rock star said that developing a broader identity may seem largely “poetic,” but has been proven successful.
We’re talking about Africa, right? The place where I was born? The place which has not only international wars, but tribal wars as well? That Africa?

Let me see: how long has it taken to unite all (ethnically identical) Irishman under one pan-Irish identity? Oh… hasn’t happened yet?

Good grief. You’d think that Bono, an Irishman, would recognize the barriers thrown up to the United States of Kumbaya by things like ethnic, religious and tribal differences going back to times when Ireland was still just a glimmer in Gondwanaland’s eye.

I’m all for idealism, but sheesh.

http://www.theothersideofkim.com/

I must say that I have to agree with Mr. Kim Du Toit. Bono should stick to singing and not trying to be a politician. If Bono really wants to help the poor of the world he should sell his private planes, cars, whores, castles, etc... and serve the people much like Blessed Mother Teresa

I must say that I have to agree with Mr. Kim Du Toit. Bono should stick to singing and not trying to be a politician. If Bono really wants to help the poor of the world he should sell his private planes, cars, whores, castles, etc... and serve the people much like Blessed Mother Teresa

Perhaps Mr. Kim Du Toit and yourself should acquaint yourselves a little more with the facts as what Bono is saying is little more than a carbon copy of proposals put forward at Organisation of African Unity and African Unity conferences for many years.

By all accounts the idea is supported "in principle" by 30 or so heads of state, although there are considerable differences about what is the best way to proceed.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200707050086.html

Kim de Toit sounds like a real idiot, for beginners he doesn't seem to know much about his own continent. Ireland is a country but Africa is a continent which is made up of lots of different countries.

Secondly not every African country has the problems that Kim du Toit states, in fact most African Countries don't. There is regional conflict in certain areas but there has been regional conflict in Europe and America too. Anybody check the Balkans lately? Or the US-Mexico border.

Of course the worst in African violence, I suspect Mr. de Toit knows should know something about. Kim de Toit is a Dutch name, which means if he's from Africa he most likely from South Africa, as thats where the dutch landed. Afrikaneers who make these type of statements were usually those who were holding (or sympathized with those that did) the yoke during the Apartheid era. So I am sure Bonos idea of a United Africa States is particularity appalling, the last thing these hold outs want is black unity. Much more fun to hold the whip then be under it.

Mr. du Toit doesnt know much about Ireland either because in the Republic of Ireland they are ethnically equally and have been living peacefully for 50 years. Its Northern Ireland which is part of a totally different country and they are not ethnically identical: some are protestant and others are Catholic. There has been at least 300 years of warfare in Europe between those two groups.

So right off the bat, Mr. de Toit, "F" on geography.

Now to the part of Bono. It's easy to criticize the work of others sitting on your a** doing nothing. The fact Bono is wealthy has no bearing what so ever. Being poor to help the poor isnt a requirement unless you are a nun as Mother Teresa was.

Its fact the Africans would say its a plus can use his celebrity status to shine a light on African issues, and that he has access to resources most humanitarians don't have. The fact is, while he volenteers his time and money, others like Mr de toit sit on their rear and bitc*.

The question I'd like to ask. The Rightwing love to promote how "Christian" they are, well Jesus makes it clear that greed is a bad thing while aiding the poor is virtuous. Criticizing those who help the poor while refusing to help yourself strikes me as very hypocritical.

Last edited:
Of course the worst in African violence, I suspect Mr. de Toit knows should know something about. Kim de Toit is a Dutch name,

With that name I think we can narrow it down a little further and say he is South African or more than likely ex-South African and given his views I will bet good money that he is a white South African at that.

With that name I think we can narrow it down a little further and say he is South African or more than likely ex-South African and given his views I will bet good money that he is a white South African at that.

Indeed, More than likely.

Okay so we have a US of Africa. Who's going to be the president? Which group will he come from?
It'll be the same sh*t at a bigger level.

I suspect we are not talking about one country but rather something more along the lines of the European Union.

Back