Steyr - recoil supression.

ozmilman

I was having a chat with a mate today who owns a bolt action steyr rifle and he told me something that i have never heard before. Usually when u shoot something that fires 30-06 ammo u get a massive punch that slams back into ur shoulder. Apparently this rifle bends at the stock to minimise the pressure place on the shoulder. How does this work? Does this damage the rifle at all?

Rich.

No, i found out that the stock for the steyr is made of hard rubber or something and it actually does bend a little. I'm gonna go check it out tomorrow at the gun store.

Rich.

Couldn't work without having an effect on the accuracy. Barrel lifts as the stock flexes, hence the round will travel at a higher trajectory. Even if the sights are adjusted, you could only zero it to a particular point. It'd be too much to maintain an effective zero on the weapon. Plus the flex would have to be massive to make any difference to recoil.

I would have to agrre with AussieNick on this. If the stock flexes it is going to throw off the overall aim of the weapon. Essentially creating a "trigger jerk reflex" that some people have a hard time overcoming.

It may have something in the stock (like the M16A2 service rifle), a spring in the buttstock that absorbs a significant portion of the recoil.

sounds like it might just be a soft stock that maybe absorbs the recoil.

:rambo:

Back