Stem Cell Research

What is the actual question of this post:
Should stem cell research be allowed and on what terms or did GB halted the research program due to religions pressure? I have different answers for both so before I start, what question should I answer?

My dad is a laboratory head, specializes in stem cell research, I asked him what he thought about George Bush and the restrictions he placed.
not exact wording, but the gist of it is the same

These restrictions are counterproductive: America is supposed to be the worlds bastion of higher science and medical care, pandering to fundamentalist christian groups will not help America in the long run, just like any proper capitalist, researchers are prefectly happy to reduce costs, though americas research institutions are the best, these restrictions involve difficulty and delays regarding the aquirement of government grants, and makes it extremely difficult to move critical materials about.
These restrictions promote the movement of some of the worlds best scientists to more liberal countries, such as Korea and Japan.

When I asked about his opinion on what Arnolds 2 Billion dollar stem cell fund can mean: VERY good thing, at least someone in government has the right idea
Many of americas best researchers have moved to California so far, though poor Arnie has been fighting lawyers and PO'd parents ever since he allowed the fund.

he does agree with the ban on full human cloning, however: he thinks that the potential for abuse in that particular field outstrips the potential gains

One must remember that this is not a baby or a fetus, or even a full embreyo. Its a mass of cells from an embreyo. If you rub your hands together you are killing thousands and thousands of skin cells. The only difference is that stem cells unlike regular ones have the ability to self repair.

Actually, the difference between the two is that the skin cells in your hand are not their own human being... an embryo is. It's it's own person with DNA that's different than the mother. I know that I, personally, think that by using the stem cells from these embryos that science is condoning murder. The end justifies the means type thing. That's why this type of research is so controversial.

I know Dr. Mengele would have loved to have dabbled in it. President Bush took a stand against it because of his and his constituants' personal belief that it is wrong. The fact that he expresses his convictions about something and stands firm just gets under the liberals' skin. They're not equipped to deal with a person who makes a firm stand.

I dont have any problems using emberyos, its when you start using fertilized ones that i get a little itchy.

I dont have any problems using emberyos, its when you start using fertilized ones that i get a little itchy.

An embryo is a fertilised egg... it's what a baby is before it's a fetus and after it's... something who's name is hard to spell.

I have nothing against stem cell research. The possibilities of playing god make me wonder about stem cell research, but then again, not everyone will want to play god. There will be people who will want to use stem cell to better theirs or someone else's life. There is also the possibility that stem cells won’t do as they are theorized to do. But at least we'll know that now and can find another technique that will work.

Had the colonist not of rebelled against the British Government, where would we be today? They knew they risked their lives win or lose, but they wanted a better life, so they took a shot (no pun intended).

The harvesting of stem cells will become a moneymaker for medical research conglomerates. Only the rich will be able to afford treatment.

Missileer said:
I know Dr. Mengele would have loved to have dabbled in it. President Bush took a stand against it because of his and his constituants' personal belief that it is wrong. The fact that he expresses his convictions about something and stands firm just gets under the liberals' skin. They're not equipped to deal with a person who makes a firm stand.

Oh I just love that reasoning. Why dont we just end medical research all together because it might happen to coinicide with the pychotic teaching of Dr Mengele, Dr Frankenstein, and Dr Who. And the same time, why dont we just abolish the military just in case we get the same ideas of Adolf Hitler and start invade other countries for no good reason. (Whoops! too late...)

And lets talk about Bush's constituents (the few he has left). They are a very small but very vocal group of religous fanatics who like all fanatics be they Muslim, Christian or hari chrishna will not rest until they have forcefed their TOTALLY WARPED religous beliefs on whole of society. These beliefs are generally so extreme that even other Christians have a hard time swallowing it.

And finally this issue isnt about Liberal vs Conservative just ask Bill Frist (that Damn liberal...). He totally opposed to Bush on this issue as are most Conservatives on this issue. Bush's political beliefs? Please, He has none. He is the head butt-boy of every single conservative special interest group in Washington. For all his macho BS, he is totally spineless. Just look how he got killed on the 9/11 commision, Harriet Miers, the ports Scandal and so on. Bush cannot even control his own party, its pathetic. He got run over worse than Wiley E. Coyote. The real truth is, like gay marriage, flag burning and a whole host of worthless issues, this was done to throw a bone to his political base, but like with the Schivo matter, old Turd Blossem (Bush's pet name for Karl Rove) totally miscalculated the public reaction to banning Stem research.

Last edited:
greenarmy1980 said:
Since when did the Church run government? Limiting stem cell research and what is possible was all based on Religion.

Seems that when George W. Bush limited stem cell research and utilization he was taking into account what the religions of the world have been saying, and now they are actually thinking about returning to government funding of the research and lifting restrictions. Is this because he cannot be reelected?

What are your thoughts?

Germany is even more retarded: It's okay to kill embryos, but not to do stem cell research on them once they're deat. WTF?

Question to "pro-choice-people": Why is it okay to kill a fetus but not a baby?

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenarmy1980
Since when did the Church run government? Limiting stem cell research and what is possible was all based on Religion.

Seems that when George W. Bush limited stem cell research and utilization he was taking into account what the religions of the world have been saying, and now they are actually thinking about returning to government funding of the research and lifting restrictions. Is this because he cannot be reelected?

What are your thoughts?

Germany is even more retarded: It's okay to kill embryos, but not to do stem cell research on them once they're deat. WTF?

That's a bit odd. Society can't condone abortion and refuse to allow embryonic research... without being highly hypocritical, that is.

Its not OK, but sometimes killing is necessary, even killing a baby (under certain medical circumstances).

mmarsh said:

Its not OK, but sometimes killing is necessary, even killing a baby (under certain medical circumstances).
What medical circumstances could these be (for killing a born baby, not a fetus)?

Back