Steel Beasts

A Can of Man

Je suis aware
http://www.steelbeasts.com/

Has anyone here also played Steel Beasts? I played it a long time ago... I probably still have the CD somewhere but I lost the CD Key.
Anyways.
Anyone know enough about both armor and the game to know if it's realistic enough to be used as a trainer? It seems like the site is offering such services.

Actually the US Army uses a version of Steel beasts to train its tank crews. I should warn you that the Army Version is a "professional" version and is not commercially available. Its not the civilian version you bought. Basically one is a training tool designed for the military, the other is a game.

The professional version includes the classified equipment the uncle sam does want the public to see.

There is a pro version for the military or hard core simmers that is available. It sure is expensive though. In fact, even the regular one is expensive.

OK.

I cant get the new one, cant afford it. I did find the old one, that i boght years ago. this thing is awesome for gunnery. Yes, the tanks are a little diffrent from what i am used to, and what you will run 13th...But the principles are the same. Spend time shooting moving target with out the auto lead. i played a couple of times jsut now and i can lead very well with out the auto. i could actually feel rust coming off my gunnery skills.

Do you end up shooting without auto lead often?
Man, once I get in or something I have a feeling I'll be asking you a lot of questions.

Update: tried it without the laser range finder and without the auto lead. The Sabot rounds are manageable but the HEAT rounds are a torture to try manually!!

Last edited:
Do you end up shooting without auto lead often?

yep. naturaly you hit precentage goes down but you have to train in case those systems are down. do you play with the Leo or M1?

I play with the M1A1. I figure the systems are closer to what South Korea has. Unless I end up in an M48. Then I bet it'll be like shooting on Emergency Mode (without laser and without auto lead) on a permanent basis. Worse, if I end up with a damned bridge layer or recovery vehicle... that'll suck serious balls.

Okay this is a new post several days later so...

I've been gunning like hell on Steel Beasts and turns out there's a few issues. You may run into it too so here's some things to remember.

1) When firing, the TC likes to "help out" by moving the center of your GPS or GAS to the tank. This is not so much of an issue when firing on normal mode but in emergency mode it is a total sweaty nutsack in the face. Pressing "T" (I found target) helps for a few seconds.

2) When in instant action, the TC picks out some really lousy targets. Between a tank that's got me and is blasting the hell out of me and a PC that is not really the issue at the moment, which do you think I should be trying to take out? TC insists the PC should be taken out. So I get taken out. Haven't found a solution yet. Since this guy loves to "help out" by moving my gun all over the place.

well, thats the real life for you. TC slaves the gunner controls alot. usually the TC is not a computer though:)

usually the TC can be very usefull. i can tell you a gunner would have a hard time finding and engaging targets with out a TC.

No I totally agree. Just that when there's a tank trying to blast the crap out of me and an APC just moving along, I think I SHOULD be targeting the tank! The TC doesn't agree sometimes.

The TC doesn't agree sometimes.

Hey if you have complaints you should haves signed up for TC school, you cry baby. Now go grease the turret:) Just kidding, guess the AI lacks some common sens.

Back