Statue of Major Robert Rogers, father of Rangers angers vets

Duty Honor Country

It is not everyday that something that has to do with history makes it into the news. It seems that NY is honoring Major Robert Rogers, the father of the US Army Rangers, this Memorial Day. Major Rogers fought well during the Indian campaigns but fought for the British during the American Revolution

What do you all think?

FORT EDWARD, N.Y. - Maj. Robert Rogers, the frontiersman whose 18th century manual on guerrilla warfare has become a blueprint for Army Ranger fighting tactics, is getting what some consider a long-overdue honor: a statue in his memory. But some veterans believe unveiling the monument on Memorial Day is insensitive because Rogers was loyal to England during the Revolutionary War.

"I think it's a travesty that we would think about honoring a person, especially someone who fought against us, on that day," said Bob Bearor, who served in the Army's 101st Airborne Division in the 1960s. "It's a sacred day. ... Let's honor our dead who died for our country."

The life-size bronze statue is scheduled to be unveiled during a ceremony on Rogers Island in the Hudson River, 40 miles north of Albany. The island served as the base camp for Rogers' Rangers during the late 1750s, when the British and French fought for control of North America.

REAM MORE

if he hadn`t of fought in the french-indian wars and won would there be an america ?

What alot of people tend to forget about the American Revolution was that it was as much a civil war as anything else. Many Americans sided with the British. I see it as something similar to having a statue to a Confederate and think it is well and good that they are doing so. In Vermont, Rogers is still remembered for his actions here. However, I can sympathise with the vets who dislike the timing of the statue's dedication. Memorial Day should be only for those who served this country.

I agree with Molly. It seems that another day would be more appropriate.

ROGERS.gif

Major Robert Rogers

http://www.benning.army.mil/rtb/Hall_of_fame/Halloffame_inaugural/major_robert_rogers.htm

This is just a case of bad timing. I am also sure though, that there would be some sort of protest or negative sentiment from some veterans for commissioning the statue in the first place since he fought against our constitution. So I guess, maybe not on our Memorial Day, but could have happened any day and someone would have a problem with it.

Molly Pitcher said:
What alot of people tend to forget about the American Revolution was that it was as much a civil war as anything else. Many Americans sided with the British. I see it as something similar to having a statue to a Confederate and think it is well and good that they are doing so. In Vermont, Rogers is still remembered for his actions here. However, I can sympathise with the vets who dislike the timing of the statue's dedication. Memorial Day should be only for those who served this country.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I agree completely

My opinion is since h fought for the British in the American Revolution he shouldn't be honored that day, i agree that it is inappropriate timing

greenarmy1980 said:
Sort of surprising to see that Fort Benning is not in an uproar about this.

Tuning in a bit late here but: Maj. Robert Rogers' accomplishments are highly respected at Ft. Benning, HAAF and Ft. Lewis. He was inducted into the Ranger Hall of Fame, after all.

He was a hero in the French & Indian War, but was on the wrong side of history in the Revolution.

As a former batt boy, I was fine with it.

Seeing that he is the father of the Regiment, and it must be one of the oldest Military Units in America and that they are still carrying the name that he gave them, then why not a statue, if the former members find this so offensives then why carry on with the name that he gave them. Surely it would better for them to seek a new title to get away from the man that formed and named them and cosign the name to the history books

The issue was not about whether or not to have a statue and honor Major Roberts. It was about holding the dedication for the statue on Memorial Day - a hallowed day reserved for those who served this nation and not for someone who did not. It would've been all well and good if another day had been chosen.

He fought for America but not for Independence, after some 200 years I would thought just a little bit more understanding could be applied. There seems to far more acceptance of the two sides in the Civil War, than the war of Independence. When the War of Independence was fought the two sides had just as many ties between the Countries as the two sides of the Civil War had. Was war of Independence fought with greater bloodshed or where any more atrocities committed which makes so much worse that he can't be accepted as the father of the Regiment.[/url]

LeEnfield said:
He fought for America but not for Independence

That's exactly the point. Memorial Day is only for those who fought for this country since it became a sovereign nation.

How would you feel about a statue dedicated to Canute for example on Trafalgar Day? Just not appropriate timing is all, nothing more and no disrespect to Major Roberts.

Let us not forget that Memorial Day is the one day a year we honor our war dead as a nation. It isn't "just another day".

Charge 7......You have lost me, Just what has King Canute got to do with Trafalgar Day. The king sat on the beach and ordered the tide not to come in, funnily enough it ignored him and his threats, over a thousand years later Nelson fought the Battle at Trafalgar, Now just how are these two incidents related as I would love to hear.

LeEnfield said:
Charge 7......You have lost me, Just what has King Canute got to do with Trafalgar Day. .

Again, you are missing the point. That was called a sarcastic reference. Canute has as much to do with Trafalgar Day as Major Roberts has to do with Memorial Day - that was the point.

ROGERS STATUE

It is not everyday that something that has to do with history makes it into the news. It seems that NY is honoring Major Robert Rogers, the father of the US Army Rangers, this Memorial Day. Major Rogers fought well during the Indian campaigns but fought for the British during the American Revolution

What do you all think?

FORT EDWARD, N.Y. - Maj. Robert Rogers, the frontiersman whose 18th century manual on guerrilla warfare has become a blueprint for Army Ranger fighting tactics, is getting what some consider a long-overdue honor: a statue in his memory. But some veterans believe unveiling the monument on Memorial Day is insensitive because Rogers was loyal to England during the Revolutionary War.
"I think it's a travesty that we would think about honoring a person, especially someone who fought against us, on that day," said Bob Bearor, who served in the Army's 101st Airborne Division in the 1960s. "It's a sacred day. ... Let's honor our dead who died for our country."

The life-size bronze statue is scheduled to be unveiled during a ceremony on Rogers Island in the Hudson River, 40 miles north of Albany. The island served as the base camp for Rogers' Rangers during the late 1750s, when the British and French fought for control of North America.

REAM MORE
Of cause honor the man who was instrumental in saving the colony, do not forget this was before the War Of Indep.It is quite likely that without him you would not have survived the Indian Wars.And so he served the Brits, a lot of colonists did,Wasn,t that what you fought for, Independence in all things.i.e. Freedom to choose.

I am also sure though, that there would be some sort of protest or negative sentiment from some veterans for commissioning the statue in the first place since he fought against our constitution.
He fought against our Independence, the Constitution came later.

Back