State of the Union

President Bush's State of the Union

I think it was a sound speech. I liked it where he said "This is the war we are in"

And I kinda liked it when he said this about middle-east

"What every terrorist fears most is human freedom – societies where men and women make their own choices, answer to their own conscience, and live by their hopes instead of their resentments. Free people are not drawn to violent and malignant ideologies – and most will choose a better way when they are given a chance. So we advance our own security interests by helping moderates, reformers, and brave voices for democracy. The great question of our day is whether America will help men and women in the Middle East to build free societies and share in the rights of all humanity. And I say, for the sake of our own security . . . we must."

Myself, let me just say that if President Bush told me it was raining.... well, I'd check for myself anyway.

I read a transcript of the speech on Gator's favourite news source (Fox) and I thought it was an excellent speech. I don't know what the delivery was like.

I find President Bush writes better or has speeches written for him better than what he delivers verbally or ad hoc. In fact I cringe a little at President Bush's public speaking.

President Kennedy remains my all time inspirational favourite and that goes for his state of the union speeches content and policy and not just the polished delivery.

I thought it was all Bull. What struck me most was now that the Dems have control of Congress he seemed willing to discuss the subjects that he refused to discuss the previous 6 years. For example, Health Care, the deficits, Climate change, renewable energy. Not that I expect him to actually DO anything about these issues.

He did mention immigration, although the only ones who seemed to like the idea were the Democrats. There was one GOP congressman who actually refused to stand up and applaud when bush presented his idea.

The President also brought bi-partisanship. What a joke, in the past 6 years he showed no interest in it at all. Bush Idea of bi-partisianship was for the Democrats to agree with everything he does. Only now when he's weak does he want to work with the Democrats. He so transparent its laughable.

But subject the subject that really will get him burned was Iraq, although he did get in a few 9-11, 9-11, 9-11 slogans in order to disguise that fact that almost EVERYBODY the 'surge' plan is a colossal mistake.

Sorry George, that trick just doesn't work anymore work...

Last edited:
Some people think it is just him that comes up with all this....

I guarantee you whatever position any politician stands on he/she will bend to where the money is....

What surprised me was the way both parties were slobbering all over him after the speech. I guess it's just politics but if I didn't agree with his speech, I certainly wouldn't bear hug him for a photo op. The press was expecting him to fold and be a little subdued but he still stood firm on his stance on the war. The man has to be made of steel after being attacked constantly by the press and the left. He held his head up and laid out his plans for the war without hesitation.

As far as speaking eloquently, I don't really care about how a present is wrapped, it's the same present if it were in a paper sack. I personally hate to get stuck in a meeting with the company Shakspeare who tries to blind everyone with brilliance and usually ends up blinding them with bull****!

Last edited:
I read a transcript of the speech on Gator's favourite news source (Fox) and I thought it was an excellent speech. I don't know what the delivery was like.

I find President Bush writes better or has speeches written for him better than what he delivers verbally or ad hoc. In fact I cringe a little at President Bush's public speaking.

President Kennedy remains my all time inspirational favourite and that goes for his state of the union speeches content and policy and not just the polished delivery.

Flag on the play, violation of the 8th Commandment.

I still would very much to read the minds of Cheney and Pelosi as they sat there behind him delivering the address... I'd give my left nut for the ability to tap into their heads and simulcast it live for the whole world.

I've heard Madam Speaker is as devoted to the F word as is Mister Veep, so any mind read would rival what's heard down the corridor of any ship full of salty ol sailors.

I'll add another another piece of the speech that really angered me.

"This is not the war we entered, but it is the war we have".

In other words: "We couldn't have foreseen the circumstances in 2003 that we are now in".

Excuse me???

To me, this is proof that the President still lives in a constant state of denial. In 2003, I seem to remember just about everyone outside the neocon cabal telling him that that it would destabilize the region, provoke a civil war, drive up the price of oil, give new life to terrorism, and be a bloodbath in general. This was specifically the argument of "old Europe" as to why they didn't want to get involved in this catastrophe.

Turns out "old Europe" was correct on all counts. The Iraq war happened precisely the way the critics had foreseen it would.

Last edited:
I'll add another another piece of the speech that really angered me.

"This is not the war we entered, but it is the war we have".

In other words: "We couldn't have foreseen the circumstances in 2003 that we are now in".

Excuse me???

To me, this is proof that the President still lives in a constant state of denial. In 2003, I seem to remember just about everyone outside the neocon cabal telling him that that it would destabilize the region, provoke a civil war, drive up the price of oil, give new life to terrorism, and be a bloodbath in general. This was specifically the argument of "old Europe" as to why they didn't want to get involved in this catastrophe.

Turns out "old Europe" was correct on all counts. The Iraq war happened precisely the way the critics had foreseen it would.

Apparently you don't check the price of oil often it has fallen substationally enough so that OPEC wants to cut way back on production in order to keep the cost up...

Europe also provided some of the same evidence we did...The reason France didn't want us in there is because they where doing dirrrty deeds with Saddam....

Predicting the future is futile for it hasn't happened yet!

Oh yeah and um have a looky here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq_Liberation_Act

But yeah it was all GWs idea......meh do some research

-----

As for eloquence of speaking...It does not take supreme intelligence to be able to memorize words and put them in a order that sounds great....

If that was the case half the rappers in the world should be considered more intellectual then Einstein himself....

Last edited:
Donkey

In the past 3 years the price of Oil has risen to over $80. Today its at $55 a barrel. In 2002, the year before the war it was at $25 a barrel. That means it's
TWICE what it was in 2002. You can blame OPEC as much as you want, but when you have a war in oil rich area the price ALWAYS rises, a lot.

You are right to say that the French wanted to protect their investment...from American Competitors. Or do you really think its a coincidence that Halliburton got the largest slice of the Iraqi pie. Have you checked out Halliburtons latest figures? The profits since the war started are at $6 Billion. The fact is ALL countries protect their own interests. France is no different. You can hardly blame them for that, America is no better.

If the Iraq war situation were reversed, how do you think the USA would feel?

The real reason old Europe stayed out was because it read its history, unlike Bush who admits he reads absolutely nothing. If he had, he might have noticed the parts about the Arabs kicking out all western invaders through out the past 800 years.

Those who do not read history are doomed to repeat it.

Last edited:
Like all Presidents I didn't hear much about what the State of the Union is, but rather a laundry list of pipe dreams.

I think Congress needs to get to work updating the United States Constitution, and explaining things better, so that the State of the Union will be just what the State of the Union is, and afterwards come out with policy on how to make things better.

Donkey

In the past 3 years the price of Oil has risen to over $80. Today its at $55 a barrel. In 2002, the year before the war it was at $25 a barrel. That means it's
TWICE what it was in 2002. You can blame OPEC as much as you want, but when you have a war in oil rich area the price ALWAYS rises, a lot.

You are right to say that the French wanted to protect their investment...from American Competitors. Or do you really think its a coincidence that Halliburton got the largest slice of the Iraqi pie. Have you checked out Halliburtons latest figures? The profits since the war started are at $6 Billion. The fact is ALL countries protect their own interests. France is no different. You can hardly blame them for that, America is no better.

If the Iraq war situation were reversed, how do you think the USA would feel?

The real reason old Europe stayed out was because it read its history, unlike Bush who admits he reads absolutely nothing. If he had, he might have noticed the parts about the Arabs kicking out all western invaders through out the past 800 years.

Those who do not read history are doomed to repeat it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Oil_Prices_1861_2006.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Oil_Prices_Short_Term.png

Kicked out eh, thats why Westerns created the states that are their after the fall of the ottoman empire...are you serious...Did we forget that Iraq did not exist until Westerns decided so after WWI....Meh I guess if history doesn't fit your agenda just change it...

Like all Presidents I didn't hear much about what the State of the Union is, but rather a laundry list of pipe dreams.

I think Congress needs to get to work updating the United States Constitution, and explaining things better, so that the State of the Union will be just what the State of the Union is, and afterwards come out with policy on how to make things better.

You really think congress could be trusted...They would make themselves the all mighty and corporations would then truly rule the world....

Last edited:
Back