State Department makes US evacuees from Lebanon sign IOU to repay evacuation costs

An IOU for an evacuation sounds a little sleazy, even for a Bush backed State Department. BUT ... it doesn't really surprise me.

Should people that went to Lebanon after reading the Travel Warning posted with the State Department describing the danger associated with Americans traveling to and working in Lebanon, be held responsible for any evacuation because of deteriorating conditions?

IF ... there IS still a means of evacuating NOT involving United States sponsored transportation, then I would definitely say yes ... however ... in this case just about every avenue of evacuation has been destroyed. This leaves ONLY those avenues of evacuation which are being supplied by the United States Government and the State Department. These evacuation assets should NOT be charged to the evacuees. The radical and rapid destructions of the evacuation infrastructure could NOT have been foreseen ... they took place too quickly.

Any plan to CYA was doomed to failure due to the rapid destruction of 'overseas' transportation.

Last edited:
Mmarsh, The difference in those examples is as I noted previously... the US was one of the actors in the conflict that necessitated evacuation. You have fallen victim to a logical fallacy, the examples you claim differ in significant ways from the current situation rendering them irrelevant to the discussion.

Chief, I'll put forward the same argument to you... the US didnt attack Beirut, Israel did, and those Americans were clearly warned of the possible dangers as evidenced by the sources Luis posted. As such I see no reason why my tax dollars should be being spent on bailing out these twits, these "victims":crybaby:

I, myself, have six CYA's planned out, one involving planes, one involving trains, one involving buses, one involving boats, one involving automobiles and two that are more rudimentary. In Lebanon are there not bicycles? Camels? Jackasses? Ah, the last one is in abundance hey?! :)

Last edited:
bulldogg said:
Mmarsh, The difference in those examples is as I noted previously... the US was one of the actors in the conflict that necessitated evacuation. You have fallen victim to a logical fallacy, the examples you claim differ in significant ways from the current situation rendering them irrelevant to the discussion.

Chief, I'll put forward the same argument to you... the US didn't attack Beirut, Israel did, and those Americans were clearly warned of the possible dangers as evidenced by the sources Luis posted. As such I see no reason why my tax dollars should be being spent on bailing out these twits, these "victims":crybaby:

I, myself, have six CYA's planned out, one involving planes, one involving trains, one involving buses, one involving boats, one involving automobiles and two that are more rudimentary. In Lebanon are there not bicycles? Camels? Jackasses? Ah, the last one is in abundance hey?! :)
As I said, I don't totally disagree with you ... the initial Travel Warnings weren't very specific with their warnings ... they were very general in nature.

Warnings about the riots in Paris were worded more strongly than the warnings about Lebanon. I will grant you that later warnings were upgraded ... by that time there were many Americans that were in Lebanon for a variety of reasons ... and ... I would agree, they probably should have come up with a few CYA's for themselves.

AND YES ... there are a lot of jackasses in Lebanon and MOST of them are NOT Americans

5.56X45mm said:
THe Department of State simply lists the country on their website to inform idiots what could happen in the listed country. It doesn't mean that they approve of that nation as a place to visit.

They also list

North Korea
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_988.html

Iraq
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1144.html

Iran
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1142.html

Shall I continue, or do i need to prove that you sir once again have FUBARed.

You think the idiots care what they are being told?

Back