Is It a Start of The New Space Race - Page 2

--
Boots

December 13th, 2004  
A Can of Man

Depends on how serious India is.
China is very serious and I believe they have a mission to the moon in the books... but probably are raising money for it and designing it at this point.
December 13th, 2004  
SwordFish_13

Hi,

2007 is the date For the First Indian un-manned Mission to Moon .................and the Government is on the Streets trying to Sway Public Openion for a Moon Misssion .............Well Democracy they have to first Convience the Public..........they have to first convence people that they are not wasting the taxpayers money in some wossy Bussy Roket thingy ................Earlier The prime Minister Vajpaye urged the people to Work for it work collectively for a man'ed Mission to moon ...............pretty serious i think ?

The Mission is even named and in progress The Chandrayan-1 mission, Chandrayan means Moon Ship ..............it's sceheduled to take of around 2005 to 2007 ........followed by a manned mission by 2015 at the latest. Source

Some Countries even have shown Interest i the Mission and have requested possible participation in an Indian moon mission. Source
Quote:
Canada and India have signed a memorandum of understanding reaffirming their pursuit of international space co-operation for peaceful purposes, including Canada's possible participation in an Indian moon mission.
The Chandrayan-2 mission, I think will be a Manned mission

Related Topic Read
December 13th, 2004  
Darcia

The Chinese should be so proud...doing what America did in 69.

You people are forgettiong that America still has a Space program. Thier are plans to replace the Shuttle fleet, wich only America has, they are creating the fastest jets in the world.

O and lets not forget that when the Chinese are on the Moon America will be on Mars. Also lets not forget the talks of a Moon base in 2029.
--
Boots
December 14th, 2004  
SwordFish_13

Hi,

Lets not Compare Chinese Space program with USA they are incomparable .................China has just Started .

Quote:
O and lets not forget that when the Chinese are on the Moon America will be on Mars. Also lets not forget the talks of a Moon base in 2029.
That you have brought up this i would like to make one coment .................One estimate Shows that if NASA has worked on the same pace and Funding that it got During the Space Race .......Humans would have been on Mars long time back.................after the Fall of Soviet Union the Will has been dampened a bit so has the Funding for the Space program .......the Congress has been on a defenceive towards the taxpayers glaring eyes on why it should spend those huge amounts on Space ? ....

A reminder the Topic is why are Developing Countries Like India and China investing this much money in space............is their enough incentive in it ? .......Does the Space pays you back enough to support itself or is it just the inflated Egos that drive people into Space?

Peace
-=SF_13=-
December 17th, 2004  
Archit

Hum, China just have a start in this area :P
December 17th, 2004  
SwordFish_13

Hi,

Quote:
Hum, China just have a start in this area
I meant if we compare it to the Soviet or USA standard China and India are in their Infancy stages.

Quite a few Countries have shown their interese in the Chandrayaan-I’ mission

Israel Keen On Joint Moon Mission ‘Chandrayaan-I’

US eyes India's unmanned moon mission

Quote:
BANGLORE: US has offered to place its scientific instruments on Indian spacecraft that will undertake an unmanned mission to the Moon in 2007, Indian Space Research Organisation Chairman G Madhavan Nair said.

"There is wide response from Canada, US, Europe even Indian scientists, some of them are there (who have submitted proposals to place scientific instruments)," Nair told PTI .

ISRO has been getting requests form various countries for experiments during the Chandrayaan-I ................Among form all these Indian Space Research Organisation has shorlists six foreign projects for moon mission

Quote:
ISRO had received about 30 proposals from foreign countries in this regard and six of these had been shortlisted...........The shortlisted Countries are Britain, Germany,Sweden, US, France and Bulgaria

The shortlisted proposals are: a low energy X-ray spectrometer for Chandrayaan from Britain; near infra-red spectrometer from Germany; Sub Kev atom reflecting analyser from Sweden; radiation dose monitor experiment from Bulgaria; mini synthetic aperture radar from the US; and planetary energetic photons spectrometer from France.
Source

But This was going to happen............ ISRO to Rethink on manned Mission to Moon ................this was bound to happen in a developing countries ...........people will reason with the government on why do they think they should not spend this money on removig poverty rather than spend on a Manned mision which apperantly no monatary valus?

ISRO Cheif have asked Government to hold a Nation wide debate and ask the people .................if there is a Consensious among the people in the country we will go ahead with the misssion

Quote:
"Before we embark on such a mission, a national debate and consensus is required. If it is decided, we (ISRO) do not want to lag behind in our preparation, though such a program is going to be very, very expensive for the country," Nair stated.

"We are not in competition with other countries in this field. Though we have the capability, we have to first decide how far such a manned mission is beneficial and whether we can afford to remain without it.

Only a national debate can throw up answers for a consensus to go for a manned mission," Nair added.
http://www.sunnetwork.org/news/scien...ce.asp?id=5528
December 17th, 2004  
implicature

yeah it is the beginning of a space race for sure... but not the political kind... Check this out!!!!!!!

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/aviatio...709317,00.html

now tell me that isn't cool...
December 17th, 2004  
EagleZtrike

Nah just the other countries making advances into space.
December 18th, 2004  
Darcia

It is only a race of the two sides are equeall. in This case America is about 50 years ahead.
December 19th, 2004  
Trevor

Shenzou 5 was a big leap for China, but barely makes a dent in the space industry of today. Even if it did, America still would'nt be interested in another space race right now. Right now, NASA is simply interested in getting Atlantis prepped for return to flight after the Columbia accident and having it ready for hopefully this march, so they can get the International Space Station back on schedule.