Star Trek's' Scotty dies at 85

Duty Honor Country

I had no idea that James Doohan was on the beaches of Normandy. Further more, he was saved because a bullet that hit him in the chest was stopped by a metal cigarette case.

Rest in Peace Scotty

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- James Doohan, the burly chief engineer of the Starship Enterprise in the original "Star Trek" TV series and motion pictures who responded to the apocryphal command "Beam me up, Scotty," died early Wednesday. He was 85.

Doohan died at 5:30 a.m. (1330 GMT) at his Redmond, Washington, home with his wife of 28 years, Wende, at his side, Los Angeles agent and longtime friend Steve Stevens said. The cause of death was pneumonia and Alzheimer's disease, he said.

The Canadian-born Doohan fought in World War II and was wounded during the D-Day invasion, according to the StarTrek.com Web site. He was enjoying a busy career as a character actor when he auditioned for a role as an engineer in a new space adventure on NBC in 1966. A master of dialects from his early years in radio, he tried seven different accents...

READ MORE

About 15 years ago, Doohan came to Dallas and participated in a telethon for Children's Medical Center. There were a few more personalities, some local, one of the Dallas Cowboys who was playing Center. My youngest Son and another little kid were to speak for the channel 8 station so we were all sitting around a table of munchies and the Dallas Cowboy was talking to Mr. Doohan about the war and he was wound up. I was very surprised that he was glad to tell us a few war stories.

Later, my Son got the Dallas player's autograph and showed it to me. I said didn't you get Scottie's? He said who was that. I could have strangled the kid. Mark Stepnowski was the football player.

Back