The Star-spangled Banner at school.

Italian Guy

Milforum Hitman
Is that true that in the States (all grades? ) kids use to sing the national anthem everyday before starting class? I find it good, but is that real?
lots of guys i know ( leftists ) believe thats an aspect of nationalism that they dislike. they dont understand anything.

And I came to argue with this guy last night ( he votes for the communist refounded party ) about Osama. you have to know that the Italian left believes Osma has already been caught but Bush will put it public only days before elections in nov.
It took me hrs to try kick that excrement out of his head. But I'm afraid there would be just nothing left in there when all the excrement's been kicked out. Jerks.
I'm constantly fighting over people like him and supporting the US with everyone, cause I strongly believe in it.

Well, I dont know about all of the US, but where I went to school(S.C) they would say the Pledge of Allegiance:

I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America
and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God,
indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

They would face the flag at attention, right hand on their hearts and say it. I would stand at attention two, feeling all strange.... :lol:

when i was in grade school (1-6) in Florida...we had to face the flag and place our hands over our hearts while they played the National Anthem...but half of us couldnt sing it. But yes, we had the anthem and we recited the pledge of alleigence, then it was class time.

This continued up through 12 grade. In my part of the south. from 1963-1976 :D

Well i'm from Canada and i remember when i went to grade school we sang "oh Canada" and said the lord's prayer everyday before class, then they dropped it for some dumb reason, i think it should be brought back myself :)

GUNNER

Nowadays, a lot of schools in the US don't say the pledge anymore, because some.... dumb people say that making kids do it is very bad, or some such.

We say the Pledge of Allegiance everyday before school (or at least we're suppose to) but not the Anthem. It really depends on the teacher. I reamember in kindergarten we would sing Our Country Tis of Thee every morning.

Oh My.. :shock:

We don't do any of that stuff. Maybe because Sweden is quite neutral to more or less everything.

The funny part is, we can't almost not even sing our anthem anymore.

They find it racial and therefor alot of schools get to not sing it. I don't know whoever comes up witht he racial idea, but I must say that the racial part is getting out of line. It was even discussed to not use the swedish flag on the day where kids quit school, in the same theory of it being racial.

Sweden and it's rule of equality is getting rather exagerated.

But I am thankful that they strive for equality, but somehow I believe that we should be able to sing our anthem and look at our own flag.

The idea of it being racial is just so.. I dunno.. I will let the smileys say it instead: :cen: :cen: :cen: :cen: :cen: :cen: :cen:

That's how stupid it is.

This is a very touchy subject around here. They still say The Pledge in my kids' school but are not allowed to say prayer.

Its considered Nationalistic, which sometimes are interpreted as racial, the strange thing is that foreigner are mostly more nationalistic about Sweden then the swedish citizens are.

I my self chose not to sing the National Anthem, i have never sang the whole song and I never will. I wouldnt even do it if im thretend to be killed. Maybe something in the future may change this, as kids or such. (change my presistense that is)

AlexKall said:
I my self chose not to sing the National Anthem, i have never sang the whole song and I never will. I wouldnt even do it if im thretend to be killed. Maybe something in the future may change this, as kids or such. (change my presistense that is)

Why, if you don't mind me asking?

Yeah, whats so nationallistic/racial about it?

You ancient, free and mountainous North,
Of quiet, joyful beauty,
I greet you, loveliest land on earth,
Your sun, your sky, your green meadows.

You are throned on memories of olden days
When the honour of your name spread over the earth.
I know that you are and will remain what you were.
Oh, may I live, may die in the Nordic North!

Not too bad in my view...

sherman105 said:
Yeah, whats so nationallistic/racial about it?

You ancient, free and mountainous North,
Of quiet, joyful beauty,
I greet you, loveliest land on earth,

You are throned on memories of olden days
When the honour of your name spread over the earth.
I know that you are and will remain what you were.

Not too bad in my view...

This part: Oh, may I live, may die in the Nordic North!

That's is seen as racial. :?

And yeah, Alex. Why not sing our lovely anthem? :lol:

I believe it's a rather beautiful song, myself.

How is that racist at all??? (notice how I said racist as opposed to racial, there is nothing wrong with racial)??? The Nordic North, the geographic region where Sweden is and the native people of the country. I see absolutely nothing wrong with it at all, but then again I'm not Swedish.

Even more shocking to me is that the very people of a nation don't sing their own National Anthem :?

My 2 cents.

Isnt singin your Countries National Anthem a matter of pride in your Country? It is strange that someone would not sing it. Hell, I can not sing a note, barely know what a note is but still sing ours. I dont understand thins one at all.

Hmm... Well I don't find it so hard. O.K. maybe for me is easy, but that's something You must know, and sing. I would sing it even if I am threatened with my life!

Back