The Stanford Prison Experiment

A Can of Man

Je suis aware
http://www.prisonexp.org/

This is actually a very famous experiment conducted to study the relationship between inmates and guards in prisons. They took volunteers to become inmates and others to become guards and they found some pretty interesting results. Today, this sort of experiment could be considered unethical.

Well worth a read.

13, that was one hell of a project. I read up on it years ago, and to see the lessons learned then, and how only a few years ago to now some might be implemented, is saddening.

This is why prison guards must be very professional... but there's only so many professional minded people you can find in this world.

http://www.prisonexp.org/

This is actually a very famous experiment conducted to study the relationship between inmates and guards in prisons. They took volunteers to become inmates and others to become guards and they found some pretty interesting results. Today, this sort of experiment could be considered unethical.

Well worth a read.

If you want to read the forerunner of that experiment you want to look up Stanley Milgram's work, it is interesting stuff.

http://www.thepsychfiles.com/2009/06/episode-97-stanley-milgram-obedience-study-finally-replicated/

Yes that too is a very famous experiment... the one where the volunteer is told to shock the "victim" (who is an actor) by a person in uniform. They would have them gradually up the voltage and the volunteer would continue to shock the victim (who looked to be in complete agony) even after the volunteer had burst into tears over what he/she was doing.

Early days of learning psychology and psychiatry do seem rather..uhh... brutal...:roll: but the info they gathered was enlightening I suppose. I hate that one reaction ... bystanders didn't respond while a woman is getting molested and murdered ... literally on their doorstep. Never want neighbors like that.

That was not an experiment. That really happened. A woman was attacked and brutally raped and murdered and there were dozens of witnesses. None called the police.
There is a word for people like that: pussies.
A lawyer friend of mine recommended that I do nothing in a situation like that. I guess that's why he's a lawyer.

Some of these old school experiments really enlightened us. A bit of a shame now with all these rules etc., we really can't seem to get any work done. I've heard from folks in the private sector in their fifties and such saying how the nature of work has changed so much... in the old days they'd find a way to do things and these days everyone is busy pointing fingers before the whole project kicks off. If anything breaks, no one tries to fix it. It has to be boxed up, sent to the proper folks and then returned, no matter how trivial the damage is.

Who would want neighbors like that, lol. Yes, the fear of losing licenses and lawsuits now has so many R & R 's .. nothing gets done. Sad too because there's so much more to learn. :bored:

Some of these old school experiments really enlightened us. A bit of a shame now with all these rules etc., we really can't seem to get any work done. I've heard from folks in the private sector in their fifties and such saying how the nature of work has changed so much... in the old days they'd find a way to do things and these days everyone is busy pointing fingers before the whole project kicks off. If anything breaks, no one tries to fix it. It has to be boxed up, sent to the proper folks and then returned, no matter how trivial the damage is.

New Zealand hasn't reached that stage yet we still have a "give it a go" attitude but it is gradually dying out in industry as we go away from the old "on the job" training to "professions" aka school taught training, a lot of the new graduates I am working with have about 10 times the theoretical knowledge I will ever have but would electrocute themselves changing a light bulb because that is an Instrument Technicians job and no matter how much you explain to these people that a weeks down time for a job that you can do yourself in 10 minutes is unacceptable it just doesn't sink in.

Who would want neighbors like that, lol. Yes, the fear of losing licenses and lawsuits now has so many R & R 's .. nothing gets done. Sad too because there's so much more to learn. :bored:

One of the best laws changes we ever enacted was one that said you can not be charged with anything while attempting to assist some one in distress nor are you covered by any state benefits (health insurance etc.) while in the commission of a crime, for a while we had a spate of professional victims that wanted to sue people for injuring them while helping them out of burning buildings or car wrecks etc. and criminals claiming compensation for injuries incurred while robbing some one or escaping prison.

Last edited:
One of the best laws changes we ever enacted was one that said you can not be charged with anything while attempting to assist some one in distress nor are you covered by any state benefits (health insurance etc.) while in the commission of a crime, for a while we had a spate of professional victims that wanted to sue people for injuring them while helping them out of burning buildings or car wrecks etc. and criminals claiming compensation for injuries incurred while robbing some one or escaping prison.

That alone would make any country a better place.

If you want to read the forerunner of that experiment you want to look up Stanley Milgram's work, it is interesting stuff.

http://www.thepsychfiles.com/2009/06/episode-97-stanley-milgram-obedience-study-finally-replicated/

Both that one and the prison experiment are very interesting to read about and they say quite a lot about how we (humans) reacts to leaders and being in leader roles.

Here's some more info on the Milgram shock experiment, it's well worth the read:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment

Another similar experiment that's also very interesting is "the Third Wave"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Third_Wave

There's also at least 3 different movies based on that experiment, called "the Wave".

A movie based on that experiment was done, wasn't it? :???: I saw part of it and recognized it...couldn't watch but my sons did and they were shocked and a learning lesson for them. Can't remember what it's called or if it has the same title. :x grrr...

A movie based on that experiment was done, wasn't it? :???: I saw part of it and recognized it...couldn't watch but my sons did and they were shocked and a learning lesson for them. Can't remember what it's called or if it has the same title. :x grrr...

I think there have been various movies loosely based on the experiment but to date I don't think any have been made specifically about it, however there is one currently under development and due for release 2011.

(There has possibly been made for TV movies though I don't know).

Clifton Collins Jr. Joins Stanford Prison Experiment Movie

Posted by Petes1234567 68 days ago
Full Story: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Clifton-Collins-Jr-
We haven't reported yet on The Experiment, director Paul Scheuring's remake of the German film Das Experiment, which apparently to take the famed Stanford Experiment and adapts it into a whole new horror movie territory.

But to catch you up: Production Weekly reported in June that Elijah Wood, Adrien Brody, Cam Gigandet and Forest Whitaker had been cast, and now they're saying Clifton Collins Jr. has joined as well. The film starts shooting a week from today in Des Moines, Iowa, which as we all know is a hotbed of both psychological torture and filmmaking. Or maybe they're just in it for the tax credits.

It's honestly surprising that a movie hasn't been made out of the Stanford Prison Experiment before, given that it scared the hell out of every sophomore who ever took Social Psych in college. I mean, even Philip Zimbardo, the guy who conducted the experiment, is terrifying looking. Are you ready to have Clifton Collins Jr. and Elijah Wood make you question everything you knew about authority? And afterward, will you admit it happened?

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Clifton-Collins-Jr-Joins-Stanford-Prison-Experiment-Movie-13836.html

bystanders didn't respond while a woman is getting molested and murdered ... literally on their doorstep. Never want neighbors like that.

Those people are disgusting wastes of life. If only it had been them in her place. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I allowed such a thing to happen without even trying to stop it. Legal issues would be the farthest thing from my mind.

These studies just confirmed what I already knew: humans are only as good as their environment. Their morality is relative - they just don't know it yet because they have not been tested.

Last edited:
Interesting that third wave thing.
In college we had this thing where we would take up the role of a particular political party or whatnot... I couldn't remember exactly what it was about but what I do remember was that I was supposed to represent some German group which was based in East Germany and whose ideology included racism and the resurrection of East Germany. Of course it was also very anti-semetic.
By twisting a few words I got even the Jewish students to start buying things that were essentially racist ideas.
The power of euphemisms.

These studies just confirmed what I already knew: humans are only as good as their environment. Their morality is relative - they just don't know it yet because they have not been tested.

Yep. That is very true.

Back