Standard ACU equipment?

Speaking of "cool" fashion statements, the AF has the lovely green "high-tech's" boot. I am hoping they don't make us wear them when it's our turn to turn in the old BDU :( I like the BDU.

Speaking from a non-combat point of view, and from a homeland SAR perspective, the ACU would be a very, very useful design. The pocket layout and everything would just be dandy. Have a place to put my writing utilizes, place to to keep my strobe, place for all my logs and whatnot and all the smaller pockets to put the odds and ends in.

(BTW,on a side note, anyone else seen the LB2? It's actually an extrmemly usful light. They had a vendor at last years Armor Warrior Symposium and the vendor had a few he was handing out and man I fell in love with it.)

Last edited:
I was at Yongsan a week back and noticed that the USAF has adopted the Marine 8 point cover. Correction: ripped off the Marine 8 point cover.
What the hell?
So they have a set of uniforms that is an Army rip off and another that's a Marine rip off.

I was at Yongsan a week back and noticed that the USAF has adopted the Marine 8 point cover. Correction: ripped off the Marine 8 point cover.
What the hell?
So they have a set of uniforms that is an Army rip off and another that's a Marine rip off.

Really? I've only seen the patrol caps. Ok, it's getting bad. Berets, gay patterns, and now stealing other branches covers? It's like when Robert Williams plays the fashion consultant over the radio in "Good Morning Vietnam".

"If your in the jungle, I can't see you! If your going to fight, clash!"

Really? I've only seen the patrol caps. Ok, it's getting bad. Berets, gay patterns, and now stealing other branches covers? It's like when Robert Williams plays the fashion consultant over the radio in "Good Morning Vietnam".

"If your in the jungle, I can't see you! If your going to fight, clash!"

I noticed these "new" caps in Afghanistan in 2007. First it was in DCU pattern and now in ABU "digital tiger stripe". :shock::shock:

I thought they were just copying the US Navy (remember, CBs have been wearing the 8 point cover for years - all the way back to the old OG uniform) and I don't see it as an improvement over the patrol cap (unless you're a US Marine, of course). Whatever.

Actually the 8 point utility cover was used by all the branches during WWII as well as the Patrol Cap. It depended on what you got issued. They seem to have been used more in the pacific by the Army than Marines. During WWII the Marine Corps still wore the Garrison Cover (Piss Cutter, Fore and Aft, C***t cap.) with the utility uniform then called dungarees.

The Utility cover wasn't adopted by the Corps until after WWII as a uniform cover. Most likely it was adopted because of the availabilty of the covers manufactured during the war and because in that time period the Army adopted the Ridgeway Cap (patrol cap).

Back