Standard ACU equipment?

Your latest ACU looks... well i can't say that- different tastes i guess. Though priceless in urban terrain I think. Must admit, I do prefer the German CU (tropical version)- good thing i'm in the German Military ;).
Btw: Does everyone in the us-military now has a black beret- and is it the rank on it or something else?
uJhtq5ZARSAutBL2IuBBEd-30.jpg

Last edited:
Everybody in the Army has a Black Beret enlisted wear a unit crest on the flash , officers wear their rank.

The gimmie beret. The Black one each, feel good beret.

The current consensus by the soldiers in my unit are that the beret sucks. Nobody likes it because it is so freaking hot in the summer and doesn;t have a bill to keep the sun off your face. BTW our new Brigade commander has said that for all activities except formations, standard headgear is the patrol cap.

My personal feeling is that it was a slap in the face to all of the rangers. :pray:. The army should have left well enough alone. Let the Airborne, Ranger and Green Berets keep them to segregate them from the rest of the army, and let the rest of the army keep the patrol cap.

03USMC: You are completely correct that the gimme is a POS. The first shipment my unit got when they were issuing the berets out were made in china. My commander sent them back and we finally got some made in canada. Think I still have that one.

Last edited:
I personally don't think it's a good thing that officers wear their ranks on the beret. In German Military only the color and the emblem are important and that is what unites every soldier, regardless which rank. That's why the corps-spirit is very very important to most of the german units , mostly that's a good thing, sometimes it's the cause for fights...
as for me ;):
SEMPER COMMUNIS, dark-blue berets
product_thumb.php

You know, I liked the movie GI Jane... You'll learn the ranks b having to use them when speaking to your superiors and such...

You know, I liked the movie GI Jane... You'll learn the ranks b having to use them when speaking to your superiors and such...
During my basic training the drill instructor checked on our rank-knowledge during lunch- and that was kinda hard because when you were the last man in line to get food (and since i wasn't in the middle of the formation I used to be amongst the first or the last because of my height) you already had very little time to eat. We also wrote some testings on the ranks and other stuff.
I must admit i still don't quite know the ranks of the german navy and the medics (we didin't have to learn those ;) )

I've been issued a "Battle Book Extreme" and SEARS booklet to study... rank and insignias are in both. (UGH... sometimes I wonder about all this! LOL)

I've been issued a "Battle Book Extreme" and SEARS booklet to study... rank and insignias are in both. (UGH... sometimes I wonder about all this! LOL)

Look at it this way, that is one topic less that you would have to study.

Of course they have to make it sound cool. Who would want to study "Military History and Rank Structure". Battle Book EXTREME!! is wayyyy more appealing.

Look at it this way, that is one topic less that you would have to study.

Of course they have to make it sound cool. Who would want to study "Military History and Rank Structure". Battle Book EXTREME!! is wayyyy more appealing.

And that's the problem. They are trying to be cool. When I was in basic it was the smart book.

It's occurred to me at times, that there must be an office somewhere in the Pentagon that contains nothing but Poindexters and Poindexterettes who do nothing but try to tie the Military in with Pop Culture and make it appealing to the kids.

Not in and of itself a bad thing.......until they get a case of the stupids. ACU's cause they be digital and way cool, funny french hats for everyone ..to raise morale (that was a bust) Xterme everything, selling the Big Red One Insignia on T-shirts and sweats at freakin Sears and of course "Army of One".

Next a contract with one of the Networks for a reality show like Survivor Afghanastan I'm waitin for that to pop up.

Next a contract with one of the Networks for a reality show like Survivor Afghanastan I'm waitin for that to pop up.

Oh Im sure its coming. That and "The Next Big SOF Operator" with Chuck Norris and Vin Diesel as hosts and they compete for a slot on a team.

They still called them Smart Books when I was in basic, although I think the technical title was Common Warrior Tasks Skill Level 1. All the book training is worthless without a good leader and some practical training. (I am sure you both know that, but not everyone, ahem, does.)

Back