SSm vs aircraft

ifti jamil

hi every body! can surface to surface missile replace combat aircraft in any future war? this is a question in my mind, can any body throw light on this subject. thanks

Hi,

You mean cruise missiles ?

emm i mean not Surface to Surface missels ............ but Cruse Missels do have the capability ......... they can't completly replace fighters though not in near future :D

Peace
-=SF_13=-

hi
i meant surface to surface ballistic missiles and not the cruise misiles. i think there is a difference between the two, isn't it?

Yes, there sure is a difference!

SSMs generally fly high and fast (super to hypersonic) on a ballistic course to target. Some have very simple inertial guidance systems (SCUDs) with very high Circular Error Probabilities (CEPs) and thus poor accuracy, while others have very sophisticated GPS and inertial systems with low CEPS (Pershing II).

Cruise missiles generally fly slower (subsonic) and very low to either the surface of the sea of the earth to stay hidden. They noramlly have very sophisticated guidance systems that may include terrain following computers and computer maps.

However, the bottom line is that I don't think that SSMS will ever replace combat aircraft. A manned or remotely piloted aircraft has far more flexibility and dwell time over a target than an SSM. SSMs do have the edge in quick response (think ATACMS) and ability to hit targets deep in defended areas.

The two systems are complementary tools, not mutually exclusive ones.
:)

Hi,

No Way ........... Yes Exactly Billistic Missels Could never replace Fighters ............ Cruise Missels Could replace Fighters to a Certain Extent .

Billistic Missels have some what Horizontal trajectory ( not completely Horizonal otherwise start running now ;) )..... they go Up Up Up and then have a free Fall ( generally )............. Cruse Missels have a Vertical ( Flat ) trajectory ............. and they can actually Find their target , change and recognise their Fligth Path in between ......... For me Cruise Missles are the Fighters of the future . :)

Peace
-=SF_13=-

Back