Sri Lanka Air new aircraft purchased

rock45

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]New military aircraft to be purchased[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]By Sunil Jayasiri
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] The National Security Council which met on Wednesday, just days after the Air Force lost eight aircraft in the LTTE attack on the Anuradhapura air base, decided to immediately purchase a number of new military aircraft for the Sri Lanka Air Force.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] A top military official told the Daily Mirror the attack on the air base was discussed in depth at the weekly Security Council meeting attended by Prime Minister Ratnasiri Wikcrmenyake, Defence Secretary Gotabhaya Rajapaksa, Air Force Chief Roshan Goonetilake, Chief of Defence Staff Donald Perera, Police Chief Victor Perera and several other defence ministry officials.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] The Air Force Chief presented a detail report to the NSC about the LTTE’s Black Tiger attack on the base and informed the council members the attack did not have an impact on the capability of the Air Force.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]He stressed the necessity of surveillance aircraft as well as MI-24 combat helicopters and in response it is learnt that President Mahinda Rajapaksa had directed the Defence Ministry to purchase the required aircraft on a priority basis.

Full story
http://www.dailymirror.lk/2007/10/26/front/05.asp

* On a side note
[/FONT] Going back a few months ago closer to a year really there was a rumor going around that they were trying to buy a number of ex-Ukraine Mig-29. It would be interesting if now these older point defense fighters might be bought. The reason then for the interest in the Mig-29s was the night attack made by the rebel aircraft. There current Mig-23s were also bought from Ukraine and Kfir C-3 maybe (could be C-7 type) were bought from Israel. Personally I think Mig-29s would be an overkill and basically not needed, cheaper Mig-23 would serve there purpose. These aircraft could be worked up and better equipped to increase attack functions and added low cost night version equipment for the rare rebel night air attack. Mig-23s can be setup with AA-11 IR missile for the rare fighter missions and added ground base radar’s can be bought for added base security and area coverage. All this for less money then buying high maintenance older Mig-29s at bargain prices that Ukraine most likely is trying to dump. Besides adding a new type to there current maintenance problems wouldn’t help matters.

Yeah, MiG-23s would be sufficient for their purposes.
Maybe the going price for MiG-23s and MiG-29s facing the dump are similar enough.

sufficient

Hi the_13th_redneck this is rough rundown on what Ukraine has some I would assume is for sale.

This is rough and is not exact it's for giving the readers a quick breakdown on Ukraine's AF

* You could have a upgrade yards sale for third world countries here I wonder how much they "Ukraine" could do themselves without out the Russian. I'm not sure if engines and radar's factories were housed in Ukraine? I thought the main plant for the Su-25 was in Ukraine but I seem to remember another company then buying the rights or land the factory was on. I wish I could understand what the web pages (Ukraine + Russian) say there's so much more information I could get. I always like the Su-25 what an aircraft I saw the Wings show and I was sold, it's like a flying tank.

Combat Aircraft

* MiG-29 Fulcrum (225)
* Su-27 Flanker (60)
* Su-25 Frogfoot (65)
* Sukhoi Su-24 Fencer (200)

Transport

* Ilyushin Il-76(100 Il-76/78
* Tupolev Tu-134 (2)
* Antonov An-12 (121)
* Antonov An-24 (13)
* Antonov An-26 (28
* Antonov An-32