Spurrier reprimanded by SEC for comments

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor

PETE IACOBELLI

Associated Press

COLUMBIA, S.C. - The Southeastern Conference reprimanded South Carolina's Steve Spurrier Monday for comments critical of league officials during his call-in radio show last week.
Spurrier violated the SEC rule that "clearly states that the coaches, players and support personnel shall refrain from public criticism of officials, conference commissioner Mike Slive said.
"I have reminded coach Spurrier of his responsibility to comply with the policies of the SEC and this rule," Slive said.
Spurrier complained to his audience about several bad calls. He also said an official who lives in the Southeast might have a bias against some teams.
"In the SEC, I know how these guys are. They go out and have a beer with their buddies and they say, 'Man, you stuck it to them last week, you really got Spurrier and them Gamecocks, didn't you?'" Spurrier said.
"Everybody says that doesn't happen. But I think it does happen. I'm in favor of referees who don't even know who you are and they come from different parts of the country," Spurrier said, according to The (Columbia) State.
It was the second time Spurrier talked about officiating on his call-in show.
In September, Spurrier recounted a conversation with the SEC's coordinator of officials after an 18-0 loss to Georgia.
"I heard our fans booing a lot the other night and later in the week I learned that Georgia should've been called for about 12, 13 clips or holds during that game that wasn't called," Spurrier said Sept. 14.
"I'm not berating the officials, but we learned later the head of officials said, 'Hey, those should've been called,' " Spurrier said.
SEC spokesman Charles Bloom said he did not know whether Spurrier got a call from Slive after those earlier comments.
Slive, in a statement Monday, said further violations "of conference policies of this nature may result in additional penalties."
Spurrier was not available for comment until after Monday's practice, South Carolina athletic spokesman Steve Fink said.

Back