Spurrier: I'm staying at South Carolina

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor

PETE IACOBELLI

Associated Press

COLUMBIA, S.C. - So far, Steve Spurrier says he's staying at South Carolina.
As the Gamecocks started preparations for a game against No. 24 Clemson, Spurrier deflected questions that Miami might be interested in bringing the high-profile coach back to Florida.
For now, the Hurricanes' job is not open. But speculation exists that Larry Coker might be replaced once the season is over.
"I think this is just a bad rumor," Spurrier said about his possible move. "There's nothing to it that I know about. How's that?
"I don't know what else to tell you."
Spurrier said he got a call Sunday morning from his daughter, Amy, breaking the news to him that he would soon be the Hurricanes' top target. And while he was flattered his name would be connected with a championship program like Miami, Spurrier said he expects to be back at South Carolina next fall for his third season.
"I'm not leaving unless I get run off," said Spurrier, who led the Florida Gators to the 1996 national championship. "This is where I plan to be, hopefully, for the next five, seven or eight years or whatever."
Spurrier said he hadn't had contact from Miami or any other school about potential vacancies.
"I'm not a candidate for any job, just leave it at that," he said. "We've got our goals in place and our goal this week is to beat Clemson, a team we haven't beaten very much at all over the years. That's the only thing I need to worry about this week."

Back