Springfield XD9 Tactical Review

deerslayer

Milforum Swamp Dweller
inally got it from the shop today at noon, went shooting at 3. It's your standard polymer frame pistol, comes with 2 mags, loader, magazine pouch and holster. I'm not a fan of the Kydex holster, but I knew it would be an issue going in. Went to a deserted police range with one of my friends looking forward to military service in the USAF. Loaded 12 rounds in each mag, we both ran through one, then I shot the rest of the rounds for that day.

Cleaned it before taking it out, the gun strips extremely easily and breaks down into four main components- grip frame, slide, barrel, and guide rod.

Didn't really shoot for a group, just mainly to get a feel for it and have some fun. Let me say this: After so many years of revolvers, I AM IN LOVE WITH THIS FIREARM. I'm definitely suffering from Bottomless Magazine Syndrome.

The fit on the hand is excellent, the grip angle is the same as a 1911. The gun is ergonomic and points very well- these were the issues that made me choose it over the GLOCK 17. It does have a long trigger reset, but the overall trigger pull is fairly crisp and should improve with time. The slide action is clean. Sights are 3-dot style, and steel, but will probably be replaced later on down the road with Meprolights or TruGlos. Finding a sight picture is extremely easy with this gun for me.

My friend fired a 10-round slow-fire string, and maybe it's just the fact that he's new to pistols as a whole, but he had 10 flyers at 7 yards. He's a much better rifle shot. This was a nonissue for me, and I found that, while I was having more fun just getting trigger time than shooting for grouping, I was on paper. The gun cycled well over 69 rounds of 115 grain WWB FMJ, with zero malfunctions.

Later tonight my brother and I took it out to the bayou in front of our house and ran through two mags, and after each shot, we wondered, "How many f***ing rounds are left in this thing?".

Back