springfield

OORAH

this question is mainly directed at 5.56, but anybody else with any knowledge is more than welcome to help me out on this.

as posted in the military collectors page, i recently acquired a 1903 springfield rifle. I am curious as to how i can go about putting a scope on her, without drilling or tapping or altering the gun in any way. I dont know if such a wonderous device exists or not, but if it does, and links, pics and information would be greatly appreciated. And dont give me any of that crap like the guys at the gunstore did when I asked them about it. They said " you shouldn't put a scope on it, because if you F*ck anything up on the gun, it'll lose value." Since i never intend on selling this fine rifle, diminishing value is not on the top of my list of worries. thanks in advance

-OORAH

thanks. the only thing i'm wondering about is how the "Quick on and off receiver mount with no change in zero" works. does that mean you can take of the mount with the scope on it, and put it back on, and the scope will stay zeroed?

There are such claims made. I don't have a great deal of personal experience with scopes (never really like them) so I can't say for certain. I doubt that you can remove and replace a scope without some loss of accuracy, though.

also to go along with that, what power scope should i get. she's chambered in .30 caliber, or 30-06, so what power scope is good?

Flat shooting high-power rifles are increasingly popular nowadays, even in areas where short-range brush hunting used to dictate the use of handy, lever action carbines. I suppose that this is the "My equipment is bigger than yours" syndrome. I don't let that stop me from carrying my lever action Marlin. (Anyway, one of the best hunters I knew of (R.I.P.), used a Burris brand fixed four-power scope on his 7mm Remington Magnum. Mostly these guns make for bloodshot meat and are overly destructive at distances less than 100 yards, but he found the 4x scope more than sufficient for long shots.) For hunting across clearcuts, farm fields, and open countryside, a higher power scope would be in order. The most popular choice used to be 3x-9x variable power scopes with 32mm objectives. Lately they have been suplanted by a larger 40mm or 44mm objective, and extended magnification of 10, 12 or 14 power. If hunting is done around sunup or sunset, or in dark cover, the larger objective may be in order. For hunters who must take long shots in dark, misty woods, a quality 50mm objective scope might be desirable, if they are willing to tolerate the size and weight. For most hunters, 32mm to 40 mm gathers enough light for daytime hunting and preserves reasonable size and handling.

http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh/scope.html

He knows more about scopes than I do. I, preferring iron sights, don't use them. If I can make reasonably successful shots at 200 yards, why bother with a scope? I'm not saying you shouldn't get one. I'm just saying it's personal preference. WWII battle rifles (by and large) are accurate enough at that range that you don't really need one. Once again, just my opinion. :)

Is you want a scope that will not envolve tapping. You can get a claw mount setup like the one post above or you can have the rear sight replaced like they do on the mausers. As for the scope holding a zero. It's all a farse. Once you take the scope off and put it back on it needs to be sighted in againt.

I scope 99% of my hutning rifles. Works great because you really can see what you're shooting at. Iron sights are good and all but I'm lazy at heart.

As for the scope itself. A good 3-9x40mm will work for that caliber. I use it on my .308s, .30-06s, .270s, .30-30s, and .243s.

Seems like an okay scope. Never seen it in any store. Everything I use is either a Tasco or Leupold scopes. If that is what you want go for it.

i've tried to stick with bushnell. idk what it is, must be like how some guys are "chevy guys" or "ford guys". I seem to like it. we'll see how it looks and shoots once i put it on the rifle

Back