Springfield Armory XD-45 Range Review

5.56X45mm

Milforum Mac Daddy
The Springfield Armory XD-45. A new comer to the pistol market. A Croatian design that was touched up by Americans to fire the All-American caliber of John M. Browning's masterpiece. The .45 ACP. This pistol is designed to compete against the GLOCK 21. But there is one catch with it. It goes for half the price of a GLOCK 21.

f021b822.jpg

Here I am at the local gun range with their rental XD-45. This was one dirty gun. When I mean dirty, it was like a three year old in a dirt factory dirty. I took the pistol apart and inspected it for any issues that might cause a malfunction. None were found other than the simple fact that this pistol in question hasn't been cleaned since the American Revoluntion.

7b7ff465.jpg

I was given one all metal factory magazine which has the capacity of 13 rounds. So that means when carried I can have 13 puls one in the chamber of the all powerful .45 ACP. The ammunition was Magtech 230Gr FMJ. Cheap ammo but range rules state that if I want to shoot their rental guns I have to use their ammo. Which by the way is a rip off in price but hey. They are running a business, so I give them credit for being capitalist.

caed316d.jpg

Here I am shooting the XD-45. I put 100 rounds through the gun without any issues what so ever. No light primer strikes, no double feeds, no stove pipes, nothing. The XD-45 shot every round without a problem. The weight and feel of the XD-45 is very well. I have small hands and it was quite comfortable. In relation to the GLOCK 21, it's about the same size as a GLOCK 17 in terms of the width of the grip. Recoil is not an issue with this pistol. It's like you're shooting a 9mm Luger or .40 S&W. Follow up shots are not a problem. It's a very well built pistol for CCW, Police/Combat use.

0bd0097a.jpg

Here is the last group of shots fired. It was a total of two magazines, 26 rounds. It was done at 7 seven yards and 15 yards. Dead center. In fact, this gun is so accurate. I just started hitting the hole instead of paper. I would recommend this pistol to anyone that wants one.

In the end, Springfield Armory has a top seller on their hands. I hope the XD-45 continues to sell well and give GLOCK that little need of competition. Remeber folks competition breeds innovation.

I saw one of those at the range today. I chose the Glock 23 instead. I probably would have done better with the Springfield. I wasn't terribly accurate with the Glock. It was just a bit small for my hands. I'm mulling over which model I should get. Guess I should broaden my horizons to include the Springfield, too.

By the way, the range ammo only rule stinks. I rented an MP-5/40. The flat-nosed crap they foisted off on me wouldn't feed worth a damn and the HK was filthy as all get out. After five or six single shots followed by a jamb, I took the MP5 out and had them clean it a bit. After that I was able to fire three or four bursts before it jammed again. I must say that, for all the issues, it was beautifully accurate. Head shots at 25m were a piece of cake. Even on full auto, recoil was very manageable, and I got some pretty good groups. Not bad for a rookie, I say. :)

I used to have a Springfield M1911 Commander. Awesome gun. Highly recommend you go to the range and try out a Springfield.

GLOCK 21 in my area goes for $650 for civilians

Springfield Armory XD-45 in my area goes for $460 for civilians

GLOCK 21 comes with lockable case, gun lock, extra magazine, magazine loader

Springfield Armory XD-45 comes with lockable case, gun lock, extra magazine, magazine loader, holster, and double magazine pouch.

The XD-45 is a steal right now.

wow, i cant believe that it is that cheap. Especially since it won gun of the year. I looked at it on the Springfield website, and they suggested $566 as a good retail price.

Price isn't really much of an issue for me, then. My local gun store offers most of the Glock frames I've been looking at for $450-$500.

I personally shoot better with 9mm. If I can get consistent, rapid fire, groups at 15-20 meters that you can cover with a silver dollar, why should I worry about .40 or .45?

I've never seen a particularly damning argument over handgun caliber that wasn't ameliorated to a large degree by the type of ammo used. The salient point in my mind then, is what I am most comfortable with and more capable with.

Last edited:
.45 acp

i just purchased one of springfield's new 45 xd i have fired not even 75 rounds thru it so far i went to clean it when i went to reessembal the weapon the slide didn't ride all the way to the rear and is now stuck i am going to try to get it fixed i have never had a springfield till now it was well spoken of but i am very doubtfull if i would ever buy one again i will see what they do t fix it before i decided

Back