Split from ISIS thread

The Romans were exploring what we call Germany now. I have read the Romans even had contact with the what we call the Chinese today, but that is only speculations when people in a Chinese town share the genes with the Europeans. But the Europeans might have in that town later, due to the fact, the town was also on the silk road.

Another rather famous border between the Romans and the Barbarians is the Hadrian Wall. The Pict's weren't interested in being Romans and I assume quite violent, hence the wall. The English should rebuild it without any open gates. There was a wall north of the Hadrian Wall, but I don't remember what it was called.

Charlemagne was an interesting ruler and a talent one as well

The Romans were exploring what we call Germany now. I have read the Romans even had contact with the what we call the Chinese today, but that is only speculations when people in a Chinese town share the genes with the Europeans. But the Europeans might have in that town later, due to the fact, the town was also on the silk road.

Another rather famous border between the Romans and the Barbarians is the Hadrian Wall. The Pict's weren't interested in being Romans and I assume quite violent, hence the wall. The English should rebuild it without any open gates. There was a wall north of the Hadrian Wall, but I don't remember what it was called.

Charlemagne was an interesting ruler and a talent one as well

The most northerly wall in Britain was the Antonine wall built between the firth of Forth and the forth of Clyde.

Never really got into Charlemagne but I probably should look into his period sometime.

The most northerly wall in Britain was the Antonine wall built between the firth of Forth and the forth of Clyde.

Never really got into Charlemagne but I probably should look into his period sometime.

Charlemagne created a huge kingdom in central and western Europe and it was the biggest one after the Roman empire. I don't know much about him, but he left each province (if i can use that term) to be governed by an Count and the people in each province didn't need to change their traditions.

There was another kingdom prior Charlemagne, the Merovingian kingdom somewhere in southern France. However, the Merovingian's are somewhat similar as what the King Arthur is for the English. A lot of myths and very little empirical facts.

Charlemagne created a huge kingdom in central and western Europe and it was the biggest one after the Roman empire. I don't know much about him, but he left each province (if i can use that term) to be governed by an Count and the people in each province didn't need to change their traditions.

There was another kingdom prior Charlemagne, the Merovingian kingdom somewhere in southern France. However, the Merovingian's are somewhat similar as what the King Arthur is for the English. A lot of myths and very little empirical facts.

I thought Clovis was a Merovingian King and a fair amount is known of him, I also was under the impression that the Merovingian kingdom covered most of France and Western Germany.

I thought Clovis was a Merovingian King and a fair amount is known of him, I also was under the impression that the Merovingian kingdom covered most of France and Western Germany.

Yes, I was wrong about the size of their kingdom. Clovis was the second in the line of Merovingian kings and the line ended when an ancestor to the Charlemagne became king. The English had also a strong king that united the country, I am thinking about the Alfred the Great and his grandson, Athelstan.

Yes, I was wrong about the size of their kingdom. Clovis was the second in the line of Merovingian kings and the line ended when an ancestor to the Charlemagne became king. The English had also a strong king that united the country, I am thinking about the Alfred the Great and his grandson, Athelstan.

I have never got into English royalty in any way as for the most part they were either bland twonks or sleazy bastards.
Elizabeth I was an interesting character, George III is only interesting for his illnesses and Henry VIII is most notable as being a rival for Trump in humping his way through the female population, any prior to 1100 were mostly Scandinavian, 1100-1400 were French.

I have never got into English royalty in any way as for the most part they were either bland twonks or sleazy bastards.
Elizabeth I was an interesting character, George III is only interesting for his illnesses and Henry VIII is most notable as being a rival for Trump in humping his way through the female population, any prior to 1100 were mostly Scandinavian, 1100-1400 were French.

The English history is quite confusing and the Kings had a tendency to name their sons after themselves. Therefore the English history contains of a lot of Edward's, Henry's, Richard's, and George.

I have found a good English historian, Dan Jones. He has written about the Plantagenet's, the Wars of the Roses, the knights Templar's, and probably other books. I have read the Wars of the Roses and the book about the Templar's, but not the book about Plantagenet's. Dan Jones also appears in several documentaries, two of them about the Plantagenet's and the Wars of the Roses, Britain's Bloodiest Dynasty and the Britain's Bloody Crown. He is also made docs about the English castles, and one about Henry VIII wives.

Elizabeth I had two talented men working for her. William Cecil (If I remember correctly) and his spy master, Sir Francis Walsingham. The latter can be viewed as the creator of the secret service and the intelligence service.

After reading and watching docs about the English history, I was forced to draw a conclusion. When the English didn't fight the French, they fought each other. Sitting down and enjoying a beer isn't something they liked to do

The English history is quite confusing and the Kings had a tendency to name their sons after themselves. Therefore the English history contains of a lot of Edward's, Henry's, Richard's, and George.

I have found a good English historian, Dan Jones. He has written about the Plantagenet's, the Wars of the Roses, the knights Templar's, and probably other books. I have read the Wars of the Roses and the book about the Templar's, but not the book about Plantagenet's. Dan Jones also appears in several documentaries, two of them about the Plantagenet's and the Wars of the Roses, Britain's Bloodiest Dynasty and the Britain's Bloody Crown. He is also made docs about the English castles, and one about Henry VIII wives.

Elizabeth I had two talented men working for her. William Cecil (If I remember correctly) and his spy master, Sir Francis Walsingham. The latter can be viewed as the creator of the secret service and the intelligence service.

After reading and watching docs about the English history, I was forced to draw a conclusion. When the English didn't fight the French, they fought each other. Sitting down and enjoying a beer isn't something they liked to do
Sorry to disappoint you, but after the Glorious revolution (1689 ) ,the English stopped to fight each other, but still continued to fight the French til 1815 .
The French OTOH fought the English til 1815 and each other til 1962 .

Now you know why I hated English History at school. I didnt understand much of it then, neither do I now. Lets not forget the house of Hanover and Kaiser Bill was the Grandson of Queen Victoria.:(

Now you know why I hated English History at school. I didnt understand much of it then, neither do I now. Lets not forget the house of Hanover and Kaiser Bill was the Grandson of Queen Victoria.:(

I will take a closer look at the English Civil War (1642-1651) between Parliamentarians and Royalists when I find the time for it. The English were busy with that war while the Europeans fought each other in the Thirty Years War. Back to the English Civil War, the outcome of it caused a short period in which England was a Republic.

The Scandinavians.....It was not our fault the monks at Lindisfarne mysteriously and spontaneously died when the vikings arrived.

William the Conqueror ancestors originated from Scandinavia and they also gave Normandy its name.

The Scandinavians.....It was not our fault the monks at Lindisfarne mysteriously and spontaneously died when the vikings arrived.

William the Conqueror ancestors originated from Scandinavia and they also gave Normandy its name.

Perhaps had the Vikings spent less time eating pickled herring the monks could have tolerated the bad breath.

To be fair European royalty is so inbred half of Europe's monarchies were related to each other.

I suspect this is why I gravitated to the likes of Bismarck and von Seeckt as I found them very interesting characters in Europe's development.

Last edited:
To be fair European royalty is so inbred half of Europe's monarchies were related to each other.

I suspect this is why I gravitated to the likes of Bismarck and von Seeckt as I found them very interesting characters in Europe's development.

I have to agree, most of them are a bunch of inbreds.

Haha, that must be the reason for why the vikings have a bad reputation.

It reminds me of this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-WO73Dh7rY

Hehe that was good.

Funny thing about Germany in 70 years they built a country, took on the world twice and damn near won before they realized it was much easier to buy it.

It is probably why German history interests me more than the rest of Europe, they did in a century what took the rest of Europe two millennia to achieve.

:)

Hehe that was good.

Funny thing about Germany in 70 years they built a country, took on the world twice and damn near won before they realized it was much easier to buy it.

It is probably why German history interests me more than the rest of Europe, they did in a century what took the rest of Europe two millennia to achieve.

:)

Yes, that is quite impressive when Germany as a country is in an European context, pretty new. Bismarck played a vital role in the creation of Germany.

Back