Split from ISIS thread

The climate change is interesting, it is very polarized between those who believe we are causing it and those who don't. This planet has experienced several climate changes during its existence (about 4.6 Billion years) Life on it has been here for about 3 billion years. These climate changes have caused mass extinctions, the most famous one is the End-Cretaceous 66 mya, but it wasn't the worst one. That one occurred 251 mya (End- Permian) and it seems a massive volcanic eruption caused the death of 75% of all species on land and 95% of all ocean living species. There are indications of we are in the sixth mass extinction now.

I am a somewhat analytical person by nature so I find the whole climate change argument to be ludicrous.
We can all agree that the climate is changing whether it is man made or entirely natural is irrelevant as we still have to adapt to the change no matter what the cause yet we spend countless hours arguing over the semantics of who did it and ignoring the actuality of what's happening.
It is a little like arguing over who caused food poisoning on the Titanic two hours after it the iceberg.

I am a somewhat analytical person by nature so I find the whole climate change argument to be ludicrous.
We can all agree that the climate is changing whether it is man made or entirely natural is irrelevant as we still have to adapt to the change no matter what the cause yet we spend countless hours arguing over the semantics of who did it and ignoring the actuality of what's happening.
It is a little like arguing over who caused food poisoning on the Titanic two hours after it the iceberg.

We need to act on it, but there are people not believing in the climate change. It will be expensive to relocate all people and the cities close to a low level coast line. I have wondered where the tipping point is when the thawing of the permafrost releases methane and of the methane hydrate when the oceans are heating up. Some places can even be colder than what they are now when melting ice can influence ocean currents.

I don't know if you guys find this interesting, but I am fascinated by it. Scientists at the Max Planck Institute has extracted the Neanderthal genome from fossils of the same species of the genome Homo. Furthermore, all Europeans have Neanderthal DNA (about 4%) so the early Homo Sapiens were interbreeding with them. The Asians seem to have the same with another humanoid, the Denisovan so the same thing happened in Asia as well. However, all other species of humanoids disappeared when the Homo Sapiens arrived....a coincidence? Probably not, we don't handle differences very well so....

I don't know if you guys find this interesting, but I am fascinated by it. Scientists at the Max Planck Institute has extracted the Neanderthal genome from fossils of the same species of the genome Homo. Furthermore, all Europeans have Neanderthal DNA (about 4%) so the early Homo Sapiens were interbreeding with them. The Asians seem to have the same with another humanoid, the Denisovan so the same thing happened in Asia as well. However, all other species of humanoids disappeared when the Homo Sapiens arrived....a coincidence? Probably not, we don't handle differences very well so....

I was taught that homosapiens were simply better at adapting to the various climates around the world, we took up the use of tools etc far quicker than other hominids.

I was taught that homosapiens were simply better at adapting to the various climates around the world, we took up the use of tools etc far quicker than other hominids.

The Neanderthals lived in small family/clan based groups and that is fatal. Their disappearance coexist with when the Earth is changing its climate and leaving a long period of glaciation. They vanished at the same time as the Mammoths went extinct. I don't know if the humanoids in Asia went extinct at the same time.

Btw, you are an engineer, right? What do you think about Thorium reactors? I have been reading about them for awhile now and Thorium reactors seem to be a good idea. They are smaller, more efficient, they don't need the water to cool them down, and the waste doesn't need to be stored for thousands of years. A Thorium reactor can even use the waste from regular nuclear plants. A Thorium reactor produce U 233 and that can be used for nuclear weapons, but it is harder to extract it from the waste. Another good thing about Thorium, it is a lot more of it in the nature than Uranium

ps. You speak German? I have read diary by Peter Hagendorf, a soldier of the Thirty Years War (1618-1648) His diary was found by a historian in the archive of Berlin Museum. It was interesting to read, but I read a Swedish translation of it when I don't speak German

I am on the fence regarding Thorium, it is certainly something worth developing but it has its problems.
Strangely I read German better than I speak it up I certainly wouldn't consider myself fluent in either case.

I am on the fence regarding Thorium, it is certainly something worth developing but it has its problems.
Strangely I read German better than I speak it up I certainly wouldn't consider myself fluent in either case.

Thorium has its issues, especially to extract it form the ground, despite it's more abundant than Uranium. The Chinese and the Indians are researching it more than others. The Oak Ridge Institute was building one and got it running for a few years, but it was closed because of the lack of funding.

Do you want to have a discussion about theism or rather the lack of the existence of it? Are we violating the rules of the forum if we begin to discuss to most absurd things the humanity have invented?

Thorium has its issues, especially to extract it form the ground, despite it's more abundant than Uranium. The Chinese and the Indians are researching it more than others. The Oak Ridge Institute was building one and got it running for a few years, but it was closed because of the lack of funding.

Do you want to have a discussion about theism or rather the lack of the existence of it? Are we violating the rules of the forum if we begin to discuss to most absurd things the humanity have invented?

I am happy to discuss anything.
:)

Thorium is an interesting process, theisms can be fun and books on any war are always interesting.

I am happy to discuss anything.
:)

Thorium is an interesting process, theisms can be fun and books on any war are always interesting.

I'm standing at a cross road of reading interesting things. We have discussed political ideologies, or rather the origin of those. What about me saying all religious people are mentally challenged? Because they all are, it doesn't matter the desist they believe in. Those believing in fairy tales....you are insane. Find help for your mental issues.

I crossed the line, didn't I? The Max Planck Institute has found the Neanderthal genes are in all of the Europeans and if you are believing in absurdities you have a lot more of those genes than others.

So we cannot critize the absurdities of Islam without being threaten or killed? Are you Muslims so insecure so you must kill everybody questioning the validity of your "holy"
book"?

I'm standing at a cross road of reading interesting things. We have discussed political ideologies, or rather the origin of those. What about me saying all religious people are mentally challenged? Because they all are, it doesn't matter the desist they believe in. Those believing in fairy tales....you are insane. Find help for your mental issues.

I crossed the line, didn't I? The Max Planck Institute has found the Neanderthal genes are in all of the Europeans and if you are believing in absurdities you have a lot more of those genes than others.

So we cannot critize the absurdities of Islam without being threaten or killed? Are you Muslims so insecure so you must kill everybody questioning the validity of your "holy"
book"?

I am not sure I would describe belief in a deity as a mental illness despite being an atheist.

Religion and politics are two sides of the same coin and it is why they have gone hand in hand throughout the ages, they are about gaining and maintaining power and little else.
Throughout the centuries religion has sought to stiffle the questioning nature of people and those with power have used that to maintain their power.
If you look at Rome until the 4th century you see an empire that was surprisingly tolerant of people's choices and oversaw the greatest period of technological and intellectual growth in human history.

Rome 5th century adopts a single religion, collapses and promptly depends into the dark ages, humanity undergo a 1000 year backward step from building multistorey apartments with running water/sanitation and curing head injuries through surgery in 1AD to mud huts, throwing your faeces in the street and bleeding/leeches in the 15th century.

Now we are entering the 5th century battle again, people are being dumbed down, both religion and politics are doing all they can to polarise our thinking while despots and elected tyrants are using it to consolidate power.

Rome being tolerant ? Never heard of the persecution of Christians ? Or was this a proof of tolerance ?
And the collaps of Rome started earlier ,much earlier than the 5th Century and had nothing to do with religion .
And it is not so that the period that followed was a dark age : this is only propaganda .

Rome being tolerant ? Never heard of the persecution of Christians ? Or was this a proof of tolerance ?
And the collaps of Rome started earlier ,much earlier than the 5th Century and had nothing to do with religion .
And it is not so that the period that followed was a dark age : this is only propaganda .

The reference to "The Dark Age" is a depiction of we don't really know what happens during "The Migration Period" However, scientifically, not much happen during this time period. There were a lot going on in the Islamic world at that time when Baghdad was the center of science. Europeans have a tendency to call this time period; the medieval or feudalistic time period. It more or less ended with the Yersinia Pestis and it caused what we call the Renaissance period of human history.

The Romans were more technical advanced than what the Europeans were during the Migration/Merovingian period. The Romans knew about how to deal with sewage and getting water to their urban areas. The Europeans didn't know that for a very long time. The Romans used concrete, the Europeans forgot about that too. Another great thing the Romans knew about was how to create heated floors.

One reason for why the West Rome collapsed was, they tried to incorporate all the different tribes/clans of the Western parts of Europe. The Romans tried to conquer what we would call Germany today, with a minor success.

This is not correct : Rome went not further than the Rhine .
And the main reason for the invasion of the Germanic tribes was the population explosion of the Barbarians ,while west of the Rhine there was a prosperous Roman Empire that had big demographic problems .
The similarity with what happens today is striking .

This is not correct : Rome went not further than the Rhine .
And the main reason for the invasion of the Germanic tribes was the population explosion of the Barbarians ,while west of the Rhine there was a prosperous Roman Empire that had big demographic problems .
The similarity with what happens today is striking .

The Romans tried to conquer what we call Germany today. Have you never heard of Varus lost legions and the battle of Teutoburg Forest, it's pretty close to Osnabruck. Varus and his three legions were moving between Rhine and Weser. Varus was betrayed by Arminius. The son of a German chieftain and was brought up and schooled by the Romans. So you were wrong again, home schooling doesn't work so well, does it

The Romans called everybody outside their realm for barbarians, they were allied to some of them and enemy to others.

The Romans tried to conquer what we call Germany today. Have you never heard of Varus lost legions and the battle of Teutoburg Forest, it's pretty close to Osnabruck. Varus and his three legions were moving between Rhine and Weser. Varus was betrayed by Arminius. The son of a German chieftain and was brought up and schooled by the Romans. So you were wrong again, home schooling doesn't work so well, does it

The Romans called everybody outside their realm for barbarians, they were allied to some of them and enemy to others.

Rome did not try to conquer what is now Berlin, or Leipzig !!
Rome did also not try to conquer the Teutoburgerwald : it was only a punitive proactive raid , as Britain was doing in Afghanistan to secure its north-west frontier .
The Rhine remained the border of the Roman Empire.

And Arminius did not betray Varus : Arminius adjusted his strategical position and switched sides .
Talking of betray is using today's hypocritical moral standing for something that happened 2000 years ago .

Last edited:
And Arminius did not betray Varus : Arminius adjusted his strategical position and switched sides .

Maybe General Andrei Vlasov could have raised that at his trial I am sure Stalin would have been impressed alternatively he would have died laughing on the spot.

There was no trial for Arminius .:wink:
And what he did was not much different from what the Pretorian Guard did in Rome ,which was selling itself to the highest bidder .
Arminius would have been a very good British, Australian, US politician . But in Italy he would be considered as an amateur ,
There is no such thing as betrayal in politics

The Romans were east of the river Rhine. There was a Roman fort in Barkhausen (not far from Hanover. The Romans had been in what we call Germany earlier than 7-9 BCE, they built two bridges over Rhine in the 55 BCE. The battle of Teutoburg Forest occurred in 9 BCE.

Varus was appointed governor of the province Germania, which means he was it's political leader and it's military commander. Arminius was what we would call a German today. He was the son of a German chieftain, but he was forced under a normal practice to Rome and got a military education. Arminius was also a Roman citizen. The practice to take young boys from their parents and area was a common practice throughout the Roman empire. The purpose was to make them Romans, it failed considerably with Arminius. The Romans never captured him after the destruction of the three legions at Teutoburg, that's why he was never facing a trial. He stayed with the German tribes to try to unite them toward the Romans

The Romans were east of the river Rhine. There was a Roman fort in Barkhausen (not far from Hanover. The Romans had been in what we call Germany earlier than 7-9 BCE, they built two bridges over Rhine in the 55 BCE. The battle of Teutoburg Forest occurred in 9 BCE.
In the writings of Augustus he talks of Legions operating as far east as the river Elbe with a Roman marching camp at Treva and fleets reaching the Schleswig-Holstein region.

Last edited:
Back