spitfire find

vulcan607

Hello, I am new to this. Not sure if ok to give it but my name is Tony. I have a request for any up to date info regarding a story of some Spitfires being located in the former region of Burma. My only information goes back to March-April 2012 and only says a possibility of up to 20 " Spits" being buried in kit form, still in their packing crates as they where delivered. The period of said burial was around August 1945, just prior to nuclear bomb attack on Japan, thus ending WW11. The aircraft were believed to be late model and brand new MKX1V's powered by RR Griffons. There is more to the original story if any one wants to know but my problem, is I can't find any new info that confirms the story or if any progress as been made as to excavation. At the moment it seems about as real as " Indiana Jones and the temple of doom" Any way Cheers for now. PS, for anyone not aware, Spitfires value is £1.5m- £2m+ which gives an idea of the possible money involved. :drunkb:

I must admit I was beginning to wonder what was happening to those aeroplanes, whether they were going to UK or not.

Now its 3 dozen??? Good lor. Just imagine what an amazing sight those aircraft will make in the air.

BTW Welcome aboard vulcan. Ah another wonderful aeroplane that I had the good fortune to see flying on operations.

Last edited:
An old buddy of mine mentioned years ago that there could be a number of Lancaster's buried intact in UK after the war ended, its seems the rumours could be true.

While the Spitfires’ recovery from Burma has generated national media interest, particularly with Mr Cameron getting involved, the fact these crated war-time relics have been located, brings the Elsham Lancaster bomber mystery back into the spotlight.

It seemed far-fetched and highly unlikely that Elsham bombers would have been buried in a huge hole, but it has now been proved that the practice was undertaken at the end of the war – at least in Burma. Veteran Brigg journalist Edward Dodd, who served on groundcrew at RAF Elsham Wold during the Second World War, undertook lengthy research for a chapter on the “Missing Lancasters” in his book, Brigg, penned more than 20 years ago.

Edward, who has since died, began by asking: “Is it a myth? A legend? Or rumours that got out of hand?” At the end of the war, a local man reported watching the bombers – wings removed and wrapped in hessian sacking – being buried in a huge pit at Elsham. He was allegedly “given a clip around the ear” by a policeman who said he had no business to be there. Bird’s eye photographs later suggested “something large was buried there” while mine-detecting equipment showed something big was there, but they could not say what it…

Just one Lanc would make a valuable contribution to historical aircraft collections, imagine what half a dozen or so would do.

Last edited:
So much equipment was destroyed after WW2, its enough to make a grown man cry. I have heard about brand new unused Thompson sub machine guns still in their packing cases, being dumped in the sea by the British. I dread to think how many of those cracking little Willys Jeeps were destroyed, because the manufacturer didn't want them ending in civi's hands, they wanted returning troops to buy new Jeeps.

The list goes on and on.:-(

Back