Speedsters may lose cars

sunb!

Forum Barbecuer
Source Aftenposten English Web Desk

Ah I miss the good old days at the country side when the police was something exotic on TV :wink:

Police in Norway are being asked to start enforcing a little-used law aimed at putting the brakes on reckless drivers who ignore speed limits. The law allows them to confiscate the offenders' cars for up to a year.

A new crackdown on traffic bullies has the state police directorate calling for local police districts to get them off the road.

It's not uncommon for police officers to confiscate a speeding motorist's driving license. The problem is, that snatching the license doesn't necessarily mean the motorist will stay off the road. Many have been known to simply keep driving, albeit without a license.

Losing their cars may have more impact. "We need to speak a language that (the offenders) will understand," police inspector Jan Guttormsen told newspaper Aftenposten.

Current law allows police to confiscate cars used to commit crimes. "We can hold the car for up to a year," Guttormsen said.

He said police districts are being made aware of the steps they can take to curb hot-rodders. "Experience shows we need to use harsh methods in order to succeed," he said.

Last edited:
That's...interesting. Perhaps it will work in countries with relatively small populations. I think it'd be a nightmare in a country like the US. Imagine where they'd put all the cars? The impound lot would take up blocks.

I always thought of the American style of driving very comfortable. I have had it completely with them speeders on the freeway. Our traffic jams start at 06.30 and last the entire morning and they feel they should be able to drive fast. Then you have this Audi A4 in the rear view flashing, while there is a jam ahead. After he overtakes you on the right side he slams his break..... Impound the car and knee-cap the driver! There are rules and he should obey.... I do it, why shouldn't he?

Ted, people with Audi A4s don't have to obey the law as they have way too much money and know at least three juggalos in the legal system...

Cars are rather expensive in Norway and an Audi A4 is like two times my annual pay - if you have that kind of money to put in a car, you can do whatever you like on the highway. It is annoying!

Last edited:
The people who tick me off are people with Lotus Elise's and houses that could eat mine and still have room for my next door neighbors for dessert, and STILL have money for a BMW for their "baby girl" as her first car...THOSE PEOPLE make me MAD

Well I don´t really care about their car and what is costs. We live in asociety with rules, and one of them is that the max is 120! We have traffic jams plenty and when the signs read 70, stick to it. Why accelerate as fast as you can, only to break 50 yards further, and no, you can pass a traffic jam when all lanes are stuck... so don´t try. It is that I am so good natured, but they make my blood boil. Rules are rules, even if you drive an Aston bloody Martin DBS!

Ted said:
Well I don´t really care about their car and what is costs. We live in asociety with rules, and one of them is that the max is 120! We have traffic jams plenty and when the signs read 70, stick to it. Why accelerate as fast as you can, only to break 50 yards further, and no, you can pass a traffic jam when all lanes are stuck... so don´t try. It is that I am so good natured, but they make my blood boil. Rules are rules, even if you drive an Aston bloody Martin DBS!
amen.

Back