May 2nd, 2009  
A Can of Man

A guy can only take so much.
May 2nd, 2009  
senojekips

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Guy
Until he switched sides.
He was still a hero,... just to the other side.
--
Boots
May 4th, 2009  
mmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03USMC
He's changing because the demographics in his district are changing. He never was wedded to the Republican Party line of thought anyway.
Thats correct, but more specifically, Specter supporters reregistered as Democrats for the 2008 presidential election. That unfortunatly left him with the very far rightwing conservative base for the GOP primaries, and these people have been gunning for Specter for quite sometime.

Basically Specter went where his supporters went.

Ultimately I think this will hurt the GOP. The GOP seems to be hellbent on eliminatating every liberal-moderate GOP out there. That is a path for self destruction as the country is far more to the center and has been of late drifting toward the left. Pennsylvania is case in point, the polls have all shown that Specter will easily crush any conservative politican (like Toomey) by at least 10 pts. Unless the GOP were to run another moderate (like Tom Ridge) against him, Specter will have all but won reelection...and as a democrat to boot.

Furthermore, pushing out Specter only angers the moderates the GOP still left such as the two ladies from Maine. Maine is a very leftwing state so a GOP moderate is about the best they can hope to do. Following the Specter departure Olympia Snow wrote an article in the NYT saying that party was too far to the right and that she too might switch. Does the GOP really want to give the Dems a 61 or 62 seat advantage? If someone could explain their strategy to me I'd love to hear it because it makes no sense. If the GOP strategy to regain political power is to let the Dems win all the elections in non-conservative states (which is most states) then they are doing a fantastic job.
May 5th, 2009  
Partisan

I think that the Republicans have really lost touch with reality, they have no real leader & cannot agree on their "universal" message, apart from Obama is irresponsible - like last 8 years showed responsibility!

So Specter has crossed the aisle, I still think that it hurts the Republicans, but it hurts the Dems as well. A 76 yr old who does not want to give up his hold on power? Will get Dem party backing, but vote against them when he wants?

I'm wondering if there is room for a 3rd party in the US political mix - would Specter have gone there?
May 5th, 2009  
mmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan
I think that the Republicans have really lost touch with reality, they have no real leader & cannot agree on their "universal" message, apart from Obama is irresponsible - like last 8 years showed responsibility!

So Specter has crossed the aisle, I still think that it hurts the Republicans, but it hurts the Dems as well. A 76 yr old who does not want to give up his hold on power? Will get Dem party backing, but vote against them when he wants?

I'm wondering if there is room for a 3rd party in the US political mix - would Specter have gone there?
You'd would be right, it would look like Specter is just doing anything to keep his job initially. However aside from the far-right Specter is still popular with the state as a whole (Dems and Indys). If his statewide polls were sagging then id be inclined to agree with you, but ultimately most keystoners are glad to have him. So I will say that his switch will only raise a minor blip on the political scandle meter. And remember he has got the Democrat big-guns (like Obama) backing him for reelection as part of the deal, so frankly I think he will come out ahead, as will the democrats. With Franken almost assuratly going to be seated, 60 votes in the senate opens a whole new ballgame.