Special Operations and sidearms?

Sgt. Nick Fury

Some time ago a remember someone asking about sidearms issued to different special forces, and operations units on this forum. I remember someone also stating that within such units they usually had a high degree of personal choice as to what sidearms they wished to carry, and that as a result they ranged from H&K, to Sig to Glock etc.....

Recently on another forum I was chastised when I stated that I was under the impression they had some liberty of what sort of sidearms they carried. A member stated that they had trained and outfitted with such groups and that they do not have any free choice, but rather are issued certain side arms.

My question is what's the real deal? I would be both interested to know how much liberty in choice such specialty units have and what sorts of sidearms are used by which groups, thanks for your help!

It depends which country's services you are in. I know old SA recce bats could choose pretty much any sidearm. The only constant was the FAL.

You are not incorrect in your assumption. Some SOF units are given some liberty when it comes to sidearms.

yeah it would depend on the unit I think.... In Canada, officially they use a Sig, but I am not SF so I don't if they have a choice, the ones I have worked with and been on operation with all had Sig's....

Back