Special Forces

I3BrigPvSk

The Viking
The Western allies used Special Forces during the Second World War. The British established its famous SAS during the campaign in North Africa. The Commandos conducted raids against the occupied Europe and I have a wage recollection of them being deployed to the Pacific as well. The Americans deployed the Darby's Rangers and the Merril's Marauders in the Pacific. The OSS and the SOE operated deep behind the German lines. But what about the Germans and the Russians? The German had the Branderburg regiment and of course the famous raid to liberate Mussolini from captivity. The Germans also used English speaking "special forces" during the battle of the bulge. How effective were the German special forces?

The Russian might have used special forces in support of their partisans, but did they deploy special forces even further behind the German lines?

British also had the Long Range Desert Group in the Western Desert. Merrill's Marauders were in Burma, not really sure they would be Special Forces, just trained in jungle warfare

British also had the Long Range Desert Group in the Western Desert. Merrill's Marauders were in Burma, not really sure they would be Special Forces, just trained in jungle warfare

I forgot one US Special Forces unit, I think they were Special Forces. The UDT's. The Marines had something close to special forces as well. It depends maybe on what we mean with Special Forces. Maybe a better term would be elite forces

My Uncle Charlie was in the LRDG, fist of all equipped with 4x2 Chevrolet Trucks, then issued with Jeeps. He stated the Jeeps made all the difference. Another elite group in Burma was the Chindits, their formation is a very interesting read.

As an aside on forming the SAS by David Sterling had little or no equipment, so a New Zealand unit was raided while they were occupied elsewhere and apparently stole all their kit.. An other interesting fact, the SAS are known today wearing their sand coloured Beret, the first Berets issued were actually white

Back