Special Forces Sniper or Sniper Wannabe

mgkuklin

I hope someone can help me here. I have a dear friend who has started seeing a guy that I find troubling. He told her that he is 55 and has just retired from the Army and was a Sergeant Special Forces Sniper. He told her that he had to do a complete background check on her because it was required by the government. He has told her that she can not tell anyone his residential address. He doesn't show up on any of the major databases that John Q Citizen has access to. He always carries a concealed hand gun. He told her that he was divorced 2x. He never drinks alcohol.

Needless to say some of these things seemed to be Red flags. What I would like to ask the Vets here is this.

Is 55 too old to be a sniper?

Don't snipers usually have s cover story as to what the did in the army?

If his work was sensitive enough to not have her disclose his residential address, why would he tell her he was a sniper?

Does the Army or NSA require background check on the people who a retired sniper might date or become romantically involved with?

Other than these things he sounds like he might be a charming guy.

I am afraid that she may have started dating another Ted Bundy.
I hope someone can tell me that I am just being overly cautious about my friend. For the record I am not romantically interested in this woman and I am happily married to another.

If this guy sounds more like a wannabe does anyone have a suggestion as to the next steps. I am afraid that she is looking at this guy through rose colored glasses and has let down all of her defenses.

Thank you

While I don't have any experience in this field, his story sounds like complete BS to me. Hopefully some of the other guys around here can chime in and bring some more light to this.

The Army does not require background checks on anyone that the service member is dating.

No such thing as Special forces sniper...just a sniper qualified member of special forces. Snipers go through a school and then return to their units. He may have done sniper work along with his other duties, but there is no military occupational specialty within the Army that is specifically "sniper".

My BS sensor is strong with this one...Ask him what his MOS is and what group he was with...or you can ask him what his selection class number was and then pm me...again ill answer.

PM me his name and I can look him up on AKO and tell you immediately if he's a faker or not.

Cannot agree with brinktk more! This guy is a big load of crap and is up to no good, try to keep your friend far away from him.

Yeah it doesnt quite sound right.................. better to break it off now rather than later when things are too serious........

If you expose this guy he might start saying he is not in the system because of his "black ops" status or something of the sort...It's BS. Special Operations may do classified missions, but they ALL go through a training pipeline and serve in the military. You can request this guys DD 214 (record of his service) through a freedom of information act request. NEVER take any documentation that he provides you because many of these fakers make a living off of it. They are con men to the fullest and may have doctored their own records, or the records of someone else to look as their own to make their claims legitimate. Don't let this stand, demand explanations from this. If he resists, just tell him you have a buddy that is checking up on his claims because the ODA community is a real small one. If doesn't know what that means...he's lying...if he is scared or backtracks...he's lying...if he walks away saying he doesn't have to put up with this...he's lying.

Last edited:
I heard of something similar, a chap mentioned that someone he knew said he was a Lightning pilot who had to bail out. I told the chap to ask him what Squadron he was with and what year he had to "Bang Out." He never heard anymore from the "Lightning" pilot.

Are their lives so boring they have to make stuff up?

You could probably get him locked up in jail for this. He invaded your friend's privacy and pretended to be all this. Both of those are pretty serious crimes from what I know.

A crime only exists if he has made money off his claims and even then it's a hard thing to establish.
Where do you guys get these wierd ideas?

Well in Australia, under the Defence Act, it is illegal to pretend to be a returned soldier, sailor or airman, surely the US has similar laws in place?

80A Falsely representing to be returned soldier, sailor or airman

(1) A person is guilty of an offence if:

(a) the person represents himself or herself to be a returned
soldier, sailor or airman; and

(b) the representation is false.

Penalty: 30 penalty units or imprisonment for 6 months, or both.

(2) For the purposes of this section:

(a) returned soldier means a person who has served abroad
during any war as a member of any Military Force raised in
Australia or in any other part of the British Empire, or as a
member of the Military Forces of any ally of Great Britain;

(b) returned sailor means a person who has served abroad
during any war as a member of any Naval Force raised in
Australia or in any other part of the British Empire, or as a
member of the Naval Forces of any ally of Great Britain;
and

(c) returned airman means a person who has served abroad
during any war as a member of any Air Force, Air Service or
Flying Corps raised in Australia or in any other part of the
British Empire or as a member of the Air Forces of any ally
of Great Britain.

According to my friend, she tells me things are going OK but there seems to be some unanswered questions. Recently I learned that he has used an alias. At this point I don't know what or who to believe. As someone posted at the beginning of this adventure the BS meter has been pegged but at this point I am not exactly sure by who.
Thanks to all who chimed in on this. The main thing is at this point he does not appear to be another Ted Bundy or worse.

Thanks again

Almost all imposters don't have any other motive for lying about their service outside of inflating their own egos. They get off on people thinking they are big badass soldiers when in fact they are not. The number of imposters out there is staggering, so I would assume the biggest character defect of this guy is nothing more than low self esteem and being a pathological liar...if his claims are bogus.

Last edited:
The guys over at the professional soldiers website would probably check this guy out if he was claiming to be former or current SF. They take many a faker down and expose them for what they are. All part of the stolen valour act. If you were genuinely concerned this guy might not be who he says he is let them know. I'm sure there are probably some guys on the military quotes forum who are also members of the professional soldiers forum too.

I belong to several SF forums, not all public.
They do take some pleasure in outing these guys.

She needs to know about him if she wants to be involved with him.
The newer formations include guys with sniper training.
Training never stops in SF.

I belong to several SF forums, not all public.
They do take some pleasure in outing these guys.

She needs to know about him if she wants to be involved with him.
The newer formations include guys with sniper training.
Training never stops in SF.

I spent many years at JFK, although not SF is was Sp Opns, In my army Training never stopped, period (and not the Obama period).

This is 2014 and I am curious as to how this relationship is working out.
There are some Sp Ops soldiers who can’t talk of their missions - Delta, and those supporting the mission, comes to mind.
But how far can your girl expect her relationship to go if she can’t even get the guys true name?
Military spouses are screened, especially if the soldier they are marring holds a classified position, yet many of these soldiers are married and have families. I was in that community for a long time I never heard of a husband or wife not knowing their spouses name and something of what they did. They also knew to keep their mouths shut.

Back