Special Forces

Not really, they just released a report that stated the attrition rate of 18X during SFAS and SFQC. They're actually making it through the pipeline just as well, if not a little better, than those coming over with experience. They also reported that those succeeding tend to have some college under their belts, played team sports, are between the ages of 22 - 25, etc.

Now, as for whether or not it's what SF needs, well, SF is getting a lot of what it doesn't need lately and that's also coming from experienced guys, but that's another discussion altogether.

I was not speaking strictly pipelinewise but what the troopers has to offer once on an ODA.
Lifeexperience counts for alot in the problemsolving role.

The agelimit on 18X were raised to 20 for amongst other that exact reason.
That a study had been done on collage and teamsports were made were news to me but the feeling has always been that you get alot of social skills that way.
So while the study were new to me the results were far from earthshattering.

I have been looking at this for a while as the agediscussion has been raised frequently in our teamrooms.

How long were you on an ODA?

//KJ.

Last edited:
I noticed somewhere today that Robin Sage for this class's Q course will begin 27 Mar. I'd love to be a land owner/role player for that!!

It seems that when studies (formal?) were made that in UDT training & more recently SEAL BUD/S training that wrestlers had a better chance of making it all the way. We're probably too stupid to understand what our bodies are going through.:sleep:

I was not speaking strictly pipelinewise but what the troopers has to offer once on an ODA.
Lifeexperience counts for alot in the problemsolving role.

The agelimit on 18X were raised to 20 for amongst other that exact reason.
That a study had been done on collage and teamsports were made were news to me but the feeling has always been that you get alot of social skills that way.
So while the study were new to me the results were far from earthshattering.

I have been looking at this for a while as the agediscussion has been raised frequently in our teamrooms.

I thought you were in the Swedish military?

This isn't the first time SF has recruited off of the street so the 18X program is only new to those that are too young or are unfamiliar with SF's history. I was educated back in 2000 when they started this again. Vietnam and even during the 80s saw off of the street recruitment for SF. Back then, a kid could come directly from basic military training and into the pipeline.

As for the age limit to 20, peer reviews told the cadre exactly what they already knew, but that doesn't mean big Army would listen without numbers on paper. It's how life functions in the Army. That's one of the reasons the first set of 18Xrays that came through had such a high attrition rate, that and the pipeline wasn't set up to prepare them like it is now. SOPC makes a huge difference.

As for what's to offer on the teams, life experience varies amongst individuals. There are some 26 year old males walking around that haven't quite gotten their mentality to catch up with their age and there are some 22 year olds out there that could outwit any 50 year old. I'm not sure what your experiences are SF but the SF of today is A LOT different than what was 10 years ago. Focus has changed and so has mentality and unless USSF gets back to its roots, it will lose the skills and abilities its learned through the years. It isn't just the Soldiers coming in, it's also the missions and roles the Army is using SF for. I could get into that a lot more but this probably isn't the thread and it's probably best left to the military members forum, maybe.

How long were you on an ODA?

lol, Which time? Anywhere from a quick op to a few weeks to spending an entire deployment, just depends on the mission. We get passed around and tossed over into other groups more than a $5 hooker. You?

Last edited:
So the Recruiter I was talking too was wrong????? The memo he got from DOA was wrong? All righty then.

So the Recruiter I was talking too was wrong????? The memo he got from DOA was wrong? All righty then.
Like I said, I was just at SWC and no one said anything. I just checked MILPERS, which is where a memo like that would come from if it's DA and nadda. I shot off an e-mail to the SF recruiter at Bragg, I'll post his response tomorrow but there's no traffic on the private boards and info always hits there.

Could be that his recruiting area is closed for 18X due to reserved contracts. Option 40 contracts are basically closed due to the number or reserved contracts, every now and then one floats out, but for the most part, they are hard to come by. Could be the same issue for that particular area.

PM your way KJ!

It never can hurt but it's much better if there's a SGT or Petty Officer involved to call them by that title. Reserve the Sir or Mam for the Doctors or Nurses & others who are commissioned. There are plenty of rank charts to be found online so when you deal with a military person you know exactly who you're dealing with & the proper way to address them. Call a Sgt "Sir" & he's liable to shoot back "I'm no Sir. I work for a living".

quick question for the physical do we have to say yessir or yes maim?

I'm just going to echo everything MSG Glenn told you because you're 16 and likely to let it slide into one ear and out of the other. :p

You have to show respect and that means to a civilian you call them sir or ma'am, if they are military; officers are sir or ma'am, and you aren't sure of their rank, sir or ma'am. HOWEVER, you've got time so start learning the ranks, it's a joint military now so you need to know them anyway. Go learn them, they're easy enough. Echo complete.

Have you been doing your homework? I'm going to start asking YOU questions soon. :wink:

I am trying to learn the ranks. I am good up to SGT MAJOR. And yes I am doing my homework. I got time to learn them and get into better shape till I join I got only 11 months till I join. My brother who is going back in is going to help me to.

Last edited:
And yes I am doing my homework.

Good!

1. Give me a short summary of the 18 series MOS,s.
2. Tell me what character YOU THINK the different MOS,s requier.
3. Tell me what MOS you are looking into and what character trait you posses that makes it a good fit for you.

Basic rule of thumb, Any civilian older then you should be called Sir or Ma´m.
In the military the worst you will get for calling someone Sir is an asschewing.
You will get used to those, learn from them and move on.

Now get to work.

//KJ.

Yep, KJ, you're right. My question to him is why is he on the forum when he can be Googling, reading military subjects or doing PT?

Questions should be asked only when other methods of research are exhausted. There isn't a person on this or many other sites who isn't glad & eager to answer questions. It's our life. But personal initiative goes a long way ESPECIALLY if you're thinking of going into SpecOps.

If you're in need of any sort of counselling we're here for you. That you can only find from experienced & mature people. Google will do you no good there.

Understand that if you want to join the military at 18 you can't sign for the 18X contract. You will have to wait until you're 20 or you will have to enlist into something else and put in a SF packet when you're an E-4.

Since you have a couple of more years, work on getting in shape, play team sports and start learning to be a teammate. Keep your grades up and learn your studies. Stay out of trouble and think about the consequences of your actions before you do them. Trust me, just doing those things will give you a huge leg up for your future. And don't spend all of your money on girls. :thumb:

1) Could not find any information that helped me.

2)
Special Forces Communications Sergeant (18E)

Ability to work as a team member
Readiness to accept a challenge and face danger
Ability to stay in top physical condition
Interest in medicine and science
Ability to remain calm in stressful situations

Special Forces Engineer Sergeant (18C)

Interest in weapons and artillery

Special Forces Medical Sergeant (18D)

Interest in medicine and science

Special Forces Weapons Sergeant (18B)

Special Forces Candidate (18X)

Special Forces Officer (18)

Commanding and controlling Special Forces operations in the missions stated above
Coordinate employment of Special Forces Soldiers at all levels of command, from ODA to group level and beyond, in U.S. and multi-national operations.
Develop doctrine, organizations and equipment for unique Unconventional Warfare missions.
Provide instruction on Special Forces processes, systems and equipment at service schools and intelligence training centers.
Serve as an Unconventional Warfare advisor to other Special Operations units in other armed services.

3)
I would like to be in the Special Forces Medical Sergeant (18D) I think that I would be good at that because I am not squemish, I am patient and I can keep calm under extreme pressure. I find myself watching anything that deals with blood, origins and stuff like that.

The reason that I am on here is because that i can not really do google here in school, but when I am at home I do my research there and you guys could help me out. And PJ24 I am going to stay single.

Last edited:
Back