Special flypast 12 Northrop F-5E Tiger II Swiss Air Force




 
--
 
November 26th, 2018  
MUC-Spotter
 

Topic: Special flypast 12 Northrop F-5E Tiger II Swiss Air Force


[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77FdKkkks4o"]Special flypast 12 Northrop F-5E Tiger II Swiss Air Force Axalp 2018 AirShow - YouTube[/ame]
November 27th, 2018  
MontyB
 
 
Wow, I didn't know anyone still flew those things.


At one stage in the 1980s there was talk of us buying the F-20 Tigershark to replace the old A4 Skyhawks, fortunately, it got canned before we did anything stupid.
December 18th, 2018  
George
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB


At one stage in the 1980s there was talk of us buying the F-20 Tigershark to replace the old A4 Skyhawks, fortunately, it got canned before we did anything stupid.
As a fighter the F-20 would have been a big leap forward vs the F-5, haven't seen anything involving ground attack though.
--
December 19th, 2018  
MontyB
 
 
The problem is that the A-4 was a phenomenal aircraft but it made no sense for an island nation to operate a ground attack aircraft as it's primary combat vehicle.

I have always thought the F-15 would have been a good choice but for some reason, we looked at F-16s.
December 23rd, 2018  
George
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
The problem is that the A-4 was a phenomenal aircraft but it made no sense for an island nation to operate a ground attack aircraft as it's primary combat vehicle.

I have always thought the F-15 would have been a good choice but for some reason, we looked at F-16s.
Yeah, a ground attack plane shouldn't be the primary aircraft. Not knowing what was available to them, or funds available, the F-4 would have been a much better choice. Currently the F-15/16/18 would work.
December 25th, 2018  
MontyB
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by George
Yeah, a ground attack plane shouldn't be the primary aircraft. Not knowing what was available to them, or funds available, the F-4 would have been a much better choice. Currently the F-15/16/18 would work.
We were offered a block of F-16s earmarked for Pakistan, in the end we canned whole fighter capabilty so that we could turn our military into the salvation army.
December 25th, 2018  
BritinAfrica
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
We were offered a block of F-16s earmarked for Pakistan, in the end we canned whole fighter capabilty so that we could turn our military into the salvation army.
That actually surprised me and I thought only the British Government were a bunch of numbnuts.
December 25th, 2018  
MontyB
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
That actually surprised me and I thought only the British Government were a bunch of numbnuts.
We had a government at the time which confused defense work with aid work and redefined the militarys priority as helping our neighbours through natual disasters.
Since then we have pumped money into the army and now they all just about have a vehicle each, we purchased a non-ocean capable logistics support ship for the Navy (which turned out to be a surplus banana transport) and a bunch of helicopters for the air force that can't be deployed overseas because we have nothing big enough to transport them.
So when it comes to defense we can out numbnuts the best of them.
December 27th, 2018  
BritinAfrica
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
We had a government at the time which confused defense work with aid work and redefined the militarys priority as helping our neighbours through natual disasters.
Since then we have pumped money into the army and now they all just about have a vehicle each, we purchased a non-ocean capable logistics support ship for the Navy (which turned out to be a surplus banana transport) and a bunch of helicopters for the air force that can't be deployed overseas because we have nothing big enough to transport them.
So when it comes to defense we can out numbnuts the best of them.
I reckon our numbnut government beats yours. We had Winston Churhill's son in law Duncan Sandys who wrote a white paper stating that the days of piloted aircraft were over. The result was many promising aircraft on the drawing board were immediately cancelled, thankfully the English Electric Lightning was too far into development to cancel. Duncan Sandys was an Artillery officer during WW2, he knew as much about aircraft as my German Shepherd.
December 28th, 2018  
MontyB
 
 
I don't know the army have enough vehicles to move the entire force from one end of the country to the other 7 times without using the same vehicle twice, we purchased 4 frigates to operate in Antarctic waters and first one they sent down damn near snapped in two, now they want to replace the Hercules D series with J series ones that can't transport either NH-90 helicopter nor the NZLAV our primary frontline vehicles.

Can we call it a draw?
 


Similar Topics
U.S. general sees problems, progress in developing Afghan air force
F-22A Raptors for sale.
Differences between Army and Air Force
Battle of Persia