Spec Ops Missions

Big_Z

MilForum Recon
Has anyone seen this show on military channel? There is some cheesy moments but for the most part I like it. The main guy is a stud and he knows what hes doing. They have some high-speeds playing as opfor and they use sim rounds. SEALS/SF/Force Recon. I have only seen a few episodes but his methods are sound and his MOUT is solid. It is mostly unscripted as well.

http://military.discovery.com/videos/special-ops-mission/

Seems alright. I have to see more to have a better feel for it but so far...
A few things...
1) the force guarding the warhead didn't seem like they had a series of guard/fire positions. Movement that close to the enemy usually means you're on your stomach and can take up to an hour just to cover 50 meters. Walzing into the enemy's base like that seems rather unbelievable.
2) the guy covers the camera when he's picking the lock. Which makes me wonder if he really picked it. Some bad/old locks are a real challenge to open even with the right key. The lock seemed to be in good condition in the video but in the real world, you'll run into more rusty and nasty ones than good ones.
3) He seems VERY chill about the dog. Dogs have this habit of having their owners not too far away from them. If a dog barks at you like that, it's time to GTFO of the trail and head into some place with plenty of concealment and hope that when the owner shows up, he dismisses it as a dog being crazy. Especially with a nuke in the vicinity, I'd imagine the defenders' senses will be heightened and they'd have response teams go and check things out every time they see birds randomly take to the air en-masse and every time a dog has sustained barking. In fact, guarding a facility like that without a dog is quite bizzare. One HECK of an oversight.

So what was on the link, I think is very scripted.
Never will you ever find an item of that importance being guarded by what appears to be five guys. Never.

I haven't seen the videos on the website. The few episodes I seen were good and mostly non scripted. The opfor has to take it down a notch, otherwise they would smash him.

And if OPFOR take it down a notch it's not realistic anymore.
I understand taking it down a notch but not assigning guard/fire positions, fields of observation and fire, response teams... that's not taking it down a notch, that's just incompetence of the highest order.
It would have been more believable had they just gotten some security guards, given them a 2 day basic course and had them do the best they could under the command of an NCO or an officer.
Check out the videos on the link you provided. If anyone tried to use this as some kind of training/instructoinal video, I'd imagine it'd have some pretty lethal consequences (for the guys learning from it) in the real world.

There are/have been some good, solid guys on the show (by that I mean real deals) but the show itself isn't realistic at all, nor is it intended to be. The main character is a very close friend of mine and he enjoys it, he sees it as a live action video game, doesn't have to be or need to be realistic. It's just playing Modern Warfare Capture the Flag in real life. No more, no less.

And you are right 13th, it's very scripted and alot of times they stop and do different takes so get the right scene. It's just for entertainment, not for anyone to take any lessons away from. It's all set up and preplanned.

I've watched it because my bro is in it and it's fun to watch as long as you know it's just made to entertain. All in all I like it, probably moreso because my friend is in it but also because it gives me a reason to call and bust his balls. :lol:

Oh and I just have to say, it's not near as gay as "Combat Missions" was.

Heheh alright.
You should see what some airsofters are saying about this show. They think it's a special ops manual.

Heheh alright.
You should see what some airsofters are saying about this show. They think it's a special ops manual.

:lol: Awesome. I'll have to let Wil know he's a regular hero amongst the fan boy communities, thus increasing his homosexuality.

nbxmxg_th.jpg

Was he a 18x or a 11x? He does a good job on there, I like him. I don't have the military channel at home so I never get to see it.

It does but a non 11b would not have his knowledge. Unless he picked it up from some high-speeds in his time as a PJ.

Last edited:
It does but a non 11b would not have his knowledge. Unless he picked it up from some high-speeds in his time as a PJ.

He was an 11B in C Co 3/75. He was one of the first dudes to smoke me while I was waiting to head to 1st batt. And why wouldn't you think he would get even more knowledge as a PJ? It's a Special Operations careerfield that spends just as much time, money and training on those "high speed" skills and tactics as any other SOF unit. PJs have quite a bit more advanced training than the Ranger Regiment, just due to the nature of the mission and assignments PJs are given. The selection is also far more intense as well as the training pipeline.

That's highly questionable.
Even if your MOS is not 11b, if you're in a unit surrounded by 11bs, you'll learn a lot about what they learn about and in fact, you'll find yourself very much an infantryman as well as whatever your actual MOS is. If you've been in an infantry outfit for 4 years and you don't have the knowledge that the guys around you have, you owe the tax payers their money back.
That is unless the 11bs were HIGHLY secretive about what it was they did and did not let you anywhere near them when they trained, which would not be the case.

He was an 11B in C Co 3/75. He was one of the first dudes to smoke me while I was waiting to head to 1st batt. And why wouldn't you think he would get even more knowledge as a PJ? It's a Special Operations careerfield that spends just as much time, money and training on those "high speed" skills and tactics as any other SOF unit. PJs have quite a bit more advanced training than the Ranger Regiment, just due to the nature of the mission and assignments PJs are given. The selection is also far more intense as well as the training pipeline.

To be honest I don't know a whole lot about the PJs. I have bumped into most types but never a PJ.

That's highly questionable.
Even if your MOS is not 11b, if you're in a unit surrounded by 11bs, you'll learn a lot about what they learn about and in fact, you'll find yourself very much an infantryman as well as whatever your actual MOS is. If you've been in an infantry outfit for 4 years and you don't have the knowledge that the guys around you have, you owe the tax payers their money back.
That is unless the 11bs were HIGHLY secretive about what it was they did and did not let you anywhere near them when they trained, which would not be the case.

Well, years ago this was in fact the case as the Ranger Regiment had very few organic support MOS assets. There were special detachments assigned to HQ that could be tasked out to the batts for support (mostly intel.) Now, with the advent of the STB (Special Troops Battalion) it's not as cut and dry. Combat guys are doing the combat gigs, the support guys are trained up to support the combat guys and can preform if need be, but will not be as proficient as a 11B Ranger.

Thanks to RASP, all new Rangers will come in on the same level, trained up and familiar with Regimental TTPs/SOPs but that will end once they are divvied out to their companies.

The Ranger Regiment may be organized like a conventional infantry unit, but it doesn't operate like one. And even in a conventional infantry unit, your supply guy isn't going to be out doing MOUT when there's cage work and logs to be done. Just can't happen.

So within the 75th, the guys with the tactical edge will be the front line guys (11Bs/Cs and to a degree, 68Ws.)

To be honest I don't know a whole lot about the PJs. I have bumped into most types but never a PJ.

Same concept as all other SOCOM/JSOC assets. All PJs are either tier 1 or tier 2 level and due to the requirement of the PR mission as well as augmenting SOF teams, must be trained up just like every other SOF element. Pretty low key, not much advertising, keeps the posers and Hollyweirdos away.

The biggest difference is that PJs are a little better looking than everybody else.

God bad news Big_Z, bad news ;)

PJ: Interesting.
I was also a bit of a "special" MOS... the NBC guy, which in the South Korean Marines is an infantry modifier... like the mortar man MOS. I had additional duties that involved signing out certain equipment etc., but I always did that the night before and went out to train all the same. Same with the other folks with other exotic MOSs. Signing equipment back into storage happened when we got back and everyone was done cleaning their stuff... again usually at night.
But right, the folks at HQ CO weren't outside as much as we were. Those guys were d1cks... urrgh. Long story.

Last edited:
Back