Do you speak multiple languages?

What are you?

• Total voters
I only speak one language right now. I am currently working on learning Latin American Spanish, and in college, I might major in a language, but, for now only one. :D

DTop said:
IG, how about the Italian language? Are there differences in the way Corsicans and Sardinians speak Italian? How about the Sicilians? I'd bet there are.

I'm sorry I'll have to correct you on that, but I don't expect Americans to know about every small island in the Mediterranean: Corse is not Italian, it's French. :D (big thing you actually know about Corse, seriously, would be like me knowing about the Catalinas)
Besides, I am Sardinian, so you picked the right example. I'm hugely keen on dialects and accents and stuff like that.
In Italy we have more than one variant per region (we have 20 regions).
I guarantee you Italian from Sicily is a whole different thing than Italian from Rome, or Northern Italian. Standard Italian is generally spoken in Florence.

That reminds me of a very popular song from back in the '50s by Lou Monte called "Lazy Mary" or "C'e na luna". It is impossible to find the correct Italian lyrics because he sang the Italian part in a Scicilian dialect. I remember the song being played at countless Italian American weddings and nobody being able to sing along. I'll send the lyrics along to you in a PM. Let me know if you can make any sense out of it.

Italian Guy said:
03USMC said:
Springfield said:
. I am currently working on learning Latin American Spanish,

Good luck with that because theres really no such thing. ;)

Well, why not?
Latin American Spanish is rather different than European Spanish, isn't it?

Because while all Spanish has the same roots. It changes from Country to Country and often within the Country. So Latin American Spanish is a misnomer, it's different than Espanol de Espana it's not all encompassing.

03USMC said:
Italian Guy said:
03USMC said:
Springfield said:
. I am currently working on learning Latin American Spanish,

Good luck with that because theres really no such thing. ;)

Well, why not?
Latin American Spanish is rather different than European Spanish, isn't it?

Because while all Spanish has the same roots. It changes from Country to Country and often within the Country. So Latin American Spanish is a misnomer, it's different than Espanol de Espana it's not all encompassing.

I see. So I guess even within a country like Mexico the language changes from State to State or region to region. Interesting.

I speak German, American, British (but I choose never to speak it for some reason), Italian and French. Yeah, I'm crap at speaking woman. It's gotta be the hardest language in the world (for 50% of the population).

Oh yeah I also speak 1337 (okay you may now beat me up, you jocks!) and retard.

English. took 4 years of german a few years ago. I know enough for basic stuff and to somewhat understand people talking.

English, Russian, Spanish, Indonesian and Putonghua... I hit the wrong damn button on the poll...argh.

German, Latin and English from school, a little bit Spanish from evening school and right now I'm learning Russian at university.

I wonder how many of you speak German.

Beir beir beir said the private!

Indeed, how's you're russian coming along? I took four years of it in Uni but I learned more in one year just hanging out in the bars with some russian marines, and it was more fun. ;)

Back